#684 - "Seeing Double"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

RPardoe wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:30 pm Got it....but will delay entry until 5 minutes before the deadline this week.
Are you going to miss the week 5 puzzle so you can solve the following end of month puzzle? Let’s hope you don’t lose power in the last five minutes.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I think I can finally beam up, although the leaderboard might not update until morning. I have the excuse of being out and busy for most of the day, but I still logged a couple of hours of staring at this one before the penny dropped!
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:45 pm I am determined to work the word "nutshelling" into my conversation this week.
I want to try "Let me nutshell this [story/idea] for you."
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:07 am
RPardoe wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:30 pm Got it....but will delay entry until 5 minutes before the deadline this week.
Are you going to miss the week 5 puzzle so you can solve the following end of month puzzle? Let’s hope you don’t lose power in the last five minutes.
Schedule an email to Matt for 11:59 AM ET, as back up. He won't penalize for having submitted twice using two methods.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Started this one last evening before bed and then didn’t see anything but some weak possibilities before falling asleep. Got it quickly this morning. Pretty amazing assembly of entries for this mechanism! I love it. Now I’m scanning for such things as I read/browse. Cool.

Now let’s hope my fresh morning eyes will spot what’s in plain sight in the WSJ one, where I’m still all 😭

Beam me up!

(Update - finally got the WSJ too.) Pshew.
Last edited by HeadinHome on Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Solved.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

Done. Fun one. I like TILs entries. random learning is fun.
Meg

Post by Meg »

@Bob cruise director , this is what the constructor, Malaika Handa, posted on Twitter today. Apparently, she knows the cabana boy.
bob.png
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:07 am
“Buzzer Beater” is one of the two last achievements at MGWCC I have yet to collect. The last one is probably achievable only if I can do a Week 5 quickly, very quickly rather then skipping it.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well darn, I got through the grid (with lots of guessing and more than a modicum of Google) but alas no "and then I saw it immediately". I am quite literally META blind this week-end. I must have quite a ways to go because TIL nothing abut solving. (though I did learn a lot about things I didn't know)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Submitted and awaiting confirmation but I loved this one! I remember going on a date to see 65A JUST after getting my license. Hand-me-down 1987 Toyota Tercel FTW!
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Beam me up! Enjoyed the grid and the meta.
ajk

Post by ajk »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:11 am Started this one last evening before bed and then didn’t see anything but some weak possibilities before falling asleep. Got it quickly this morning. Pretty amazing assembly of entries for this mechanism! I love it. Now I’m scanning for such things as I read/browse. Cool.

Now let’s hope my fresh morning eyes will spot what’s in plain sight in the WSJ one, where I’m still all 😭

Beam me up!
Meanwhile, I got WSJ quickly and have been staring at this one since yesterday and am precisely where I started. :lol:

Edit: changed Friday to yesterday, because apparently I've only been at this for 24 hours even though it feels like more :lol: :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Beam me up!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
ajk

Post by ajk »

Whoa, so that's this post enlightenment thing people keep talking about. Took one more look, and boom. Very cool meta (and puzzle overall). Beam me up! 8-)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Barney

Post by Barney »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:21 pm Well darn, I got through the grid (with lots of guessing and more than a modicum of Google) but alas no "and then I saw it immediately". I am quite literally META blind this week-end. I must have quite a ways to go because TIL nothing abut solving. (though I did learn a lot about things I didn't know)
If Dr Tom can’t get it, I bail.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Submitted, expecting to be beamed up.
Tough grid for me, fun meta.
@Bob cruise director - I wouldn't go quite as far as another planet. A different continent would probably suffice for me.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Well, that took longer than it should have. I created quite a warren of rabbit holes that I fell into. I liked the clueing and the fill, no complaints there! I have an alternative answer I'll share after the deadline. :)
Heidi
Abide

Post by Abide »

Enjoyed the guest meta and cluing difficulty change-up. But how did 53-A "Singer DiFranco" sneak in there over Rachel McAdams' "True Detective" character? Guess she threw us a bone.

@Bob cruise director, you need to DM @malisolves and ask her to ELI5.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Beam me up. Quick one.