#683 - "First Taste"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well I’m a bit confused. It COULD be as easy as i think it is, but i have a major reservation. If any of you solvers is online and can answer a question, could you pm me?

Okay yes it IS that simple. Wow. That was quick. And thanks for all the helpful pm’s buddies!

Beam me right on up.
Last edited by HeadinHome on Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Duane Suarez

Post by Duane Suarez »

Beamed Up!
"Barbecue Sauce"
-Ted Lasso
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

It’s one of those puzzles that you can answer before 3/4 of the grid is filled in, but by then the top spots are all taken so what’s the rush. Interestingly, EA submitted before I received my email (at 9:02 PDT). I wonder what the two people who submitted incorrect solutions thought the answer was. Happy 4th to all—stay safe!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Great week 1! Did take me a second glance but unlike some other week 1s, I needed most of the grid before the click transpired.

Happy July!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Beamed up at 181.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beam me up! Late today due to computer issues, but I'm never in the top 100 for a week 1 anyway (I solve the whole grid first, and I'm sloooow). But go @Hector at #3, wow!
Cuse

Post by Cuse »

Beam me up! New to the forum. Joined after hearing about it on the Zoom Q&A. I've been solving, or more correctly, attempting to solve Matt's puzzles since the days we emailed him the answers. Still using one of his monthly winner mechanical pencils to complete the fill.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Beam me up!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Cuse wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:05 pm Beam me up! New to the forum. Joined after hearing about it on the Zoom Q&A. I've been solving, or more correctly, attempting to solve Matt's puzzles since the days we emailed him the answers. Still using one of his monthly winner mechanical pencils to complete the fill.
Welcome aboard!

You got two puzzles this week - the regular meta and figuring out our Star Trek metaphor:)
Hector

Post by Hector »

@oldjudge, given what this weekend holds in store, I suspect there was a temptation to guess a certain other country. (And yet a third country, whose flag I can see flapping on our security cam right now, also has a case to be made for it.)

I don't think e.a. could have guessed this one before seeing the puzzle, so I assume he was able to fill in the rather small amount of the grid needed to justify risking a guess in no time flat, as he can do. You probably know that the links show up on patreon.com some minutes before emails arrive, which is a big deal (esp. on week 1s) if you're playing the leaderboard game.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

These puzzles are making me hungry.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Just signed up - thought week 1 would be appropriate. Solved or beamed or whatever you all are saying. :-)
Kevin
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Yes, I'm with OldJudge - After the first theme fill I knew what it was going to be, but I opened the puzzle late (probably 1 PM) and I knew there was no reason to rush to even be in the top 100. So I'll take the #154 and be happy that at least I'm going to get one this WE. As easy as it seems to be the WSJ one still eludes me - DRAT!
Da Brie is everywhere.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:03 pm These puzzles are making me hungry.
Though I would argue that given many similar responses, these puzzles seem to be making people thirsty.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beam me up. Solved several hours ago but we were gone for a bit. I was afraid that it could not be that easy and was looking for a click. Pageant? Always lurking.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beam me up!
Cindy Heisler
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Beamed up!
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Been beamed.
-Tamara
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Ahhh... week 1. Lovely beam up!
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Beam me up Scottie.... That was an easy one. Now what do I do. Happy 4th.