#682 - "Minty Fresh"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Meg wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:39 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:52 pm True story:

My lab partner in HS chemistry & I sat on opposite sides of a lab bench, directly in front of the teacher's desk. During every multiple-choice exam, the teacher would create similar answer templates - for the exam we were taking - using a small drill press (not making that up). Our spatial awareness allowed us to correct most wrong answers. He also liked to talk to us during the exams, so eyeing his efforts was not only easy, but natural.

It didn't hurt me that my lab partner was vying for valedictorian, was captain of the football, basketball, and baseball teams: everybody's all-American. For him, a chemistry teacher was a friend, not someone to be feared. It taught me the value of befriending smarter people, hence why I haunt this place.
@Joe Ross Are you talking about CHEATING?
I dunno. He was the adult in the room and had control. During the first test, I was annoyed that he was engaging us in small talk, until I realized what he was doing & right in front of us. When my score was nearly perfect, my lab partner was skeptical, until I told him what happened. He repeated the task every test after that.

We never complained nor told anyone else about it, lest *they* be tempted to cheat. So, we were doing good, maybe? Keeping other young minds on the correct path?

This was the teacher who routinely replied to students' requests for tutoring and after hours help with, "The world needs ditch-diggers, too." We didn't lose a lot of sleep over it.
Meg

Post by Meg »

@Joe Ross That's a nice story.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Frankie has a single-hole punch tool. I mean, I have many bizarre tools, but not that.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Hector wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:45 pm Frankie has a single-hole punch tool. I mean, I have many bizarre tools, but not that.
Is that a bizarre tool? I have two of them. Though now that I think about it, I can't remember why.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Joe Ross wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:52 pm This was the teacher who routinely replied to students' requests for tutoring and after hours help with, "The world needs ditch-diggers, too." We didn't lose a lot of sleep over it.
if this guy was a cryptic clue, he'd be "Unpleasant person, mixed-up misplace fire remnants (7)."