#682 - "Minty Fresh"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

When you see it, you see it! Pretty sure I got it - another fun one! The double UTOPIA made for a good start to this month, and these last two challenges also made for a good finish! #muggleforlife
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
ellgee

Post by ellgee »

I think I have some preliminary pieces but no idea what to do with them. Would anyone be willing to share a nudge or want to work together?

Update: I think I got it? Gonna sit with it a while to see if there's anything more to do.

Update 2: Yep, that was it!
Last edited by ellgee on Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Thankfully, finally the second page.

Loved this meta.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Have looked at this on and off for 2 days now. I believe I have the relevant pieces, but no clue (yet) as to how to apply. Luckily still Sunday . . .
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Done, with a little help from a friend.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

I am in the same boat as many above, see some things.....and that's about it. No idea what to do next. Would appreciate any type of conversation or perhaps a small nudge as to what to do with what I've found (which hopefully is the correct path?).
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Beam me up!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Yesterday evening, I found 16 letters. They work; they fit; all nice and tidy.

But... but... what about ...????

I know all herring filled rabbit holes start with, "It can't possibly be a coincidence that..." And I've certainly been in my share of them and had to finally admit that yes, it can be just coincidence. But this one - wow!

If what I got was just an intermediate step, there would have been more wrong entries. So after sleeping on it and giving it one more look today, I've requested beam up and am awaiting the next leaderboard update.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

On the board!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Thanks to Meg I solved this sucker. Red herrings galore!
Heidi
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Yep, some interesting coincidences (or easter eggs?) made for much distraction. Finally got to the right path. :)
-Tamara
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I got beamed up at #30 on Saturday afternoon...saw way too much early on to just toss this aside like many other week 4s....several paths were apparent and a friendly tap on the shoulder from an early solver put me in the right direction. The great thing about this puzzle is that the other paths I saw would have made equally good metas...
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

me up
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

finished the grid and I'm staring at it looking for something to jump out at me.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beam me up! Solved with a nudge from a fellow muggle. My "aha" moment was more like a "duh" moment -- should have gotten it sooner. I always seem to start by having to drag myself out of some deep rabbit holes!!
Cindy Heisler
balshetzer

Post by balshetzer »

I would love one of those nudges.
markhr

Post by markhr »

I think I've officially tried everything I can possibly think of, and none of it works.
Probably time to bail on this one. There goes my streak, such as it was.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I finally managed to get to the end, but not without some heavy lifting by a friendly nudger. I can console myself somewhat in knowing that I had the right idea and probably about 75% of the mechanism, just not the part that would let me finish. I'm guessing that is kind of like, "I hit the ball right up on the green, there was only ten feet on a level, fast surface....now if I could only putt..."
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Whew! Like @DrTom, I had a lot of help/nudging/heavy lifting by @jhseeman to get me over the finish line on this one. So clever once you see it.....and I so would NOT have seen it without those nudges. Many thanks!

And special credit/thanks to @boharr LOL - my message to him about the monday puzzle's Easter Egg seemed to rattle my brain enough to shake the MGWCC nudges into a full blown idea!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
mheverson

Post by mheverson »

I see the general implication, but can't quite figure out the mechanism. Would love a nudge.