#679 - “More to Read” by Patrick Berry

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:45 pm "b" me up. One hull of a puzzle.

Is that the "Good Ship Gaffney" later referenced?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Charles Stevens wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:25 pm Beamed.

This being a week 1, I expect some of us will have some extra time on our hands this weekend. What better way to spend that time than to do a jaw-dropping Patrick Berry puzzle? (I'm not exaggerating, this is the only puzzle I've ever done that literally caused my jaw to drop after I'd finished).

https://aframegames.com/puzzles/MiddleOfTheRoad.pdf

The grizzled veterans here have probably done this puzzle already, but on the off chance you haven't, I could not recommend it more highly. I was reminded by Matt's writeup this week, in which he links to a video of Patrick accepting his recent Merl Reagle lifetime achievement award. Patrick was asked about his favorite puzzle he's created, and Middle of the Road was his answer. The clues are cryptic style, which may be unfamiliar territory to some, but the payoff is well worth it.
Good LORD, I couldn't even understand the directions!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ricky

Post by ricky »

I have halfway solved "Middle of the Road" twice and both times lost the piece of paper I was solving on before I made it to the end. I'll get there one day, I imagine...

Anyway, beamed up. A little bummed I forgot it was MGWCC day until 2 PM since I solved today's puzzle in 6-ish minutes. Wouldn't have beaten Erik Agard's UNDER 60 SECONDS but I would probably have been top 20.

I have a new meta contest going - link below in my signature.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

For once, the energizer lever was already being pushed by the time I (almost) finished the grid. Submitted and beamed.
Attachments
download.jpg
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!
subtly

Post by subtly »

beamed, and got my "10" !
solo solve this week, but thanks to previous nudgers...
===
Averting musical theatre emergencies since 1976.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Looks like a good week for you and the pup
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

Phew.. On shore but thanks to Mr. G for all of the help with the grid and verifying the answer! And by Mr. G, I’m talking Google, not Gaffney 😀😀😀
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Well after being gone all morning and coming home to no internet (now working finally) I have beamed up. Love a Patrick Berry puzzle!
Heidi
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Another good one. 🐝+💊⬆️.
-Tamara
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Beamed up.....but again onboard the ship not shore.

Tis ok, drinking a Macleods Scotch in memory of the Capt.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beam me up!!
Cindy Heisler
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Fun one! I was stuck on Across Lite, so I printed it out, and that helped the puzzle get solved. Fun Level 1 meta!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Late start but beam me up!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Charles Stevens wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:25 pm Beamed.

This being a week 1, I expect some of us will have some extra time on our hands this weekend. What better way to spend that time than to do a jaw-dropping Patrick Berry puzzle? (I'm not exaggerating, this is the only puzzle I've ever done that literally caused my jaw to drop after I'd finished).

https://aframegames.com/puzzles/MiddleOfTheRoad.pdf

The grizzled veterans here have probably done this puzzle already, but on the off chance you haven't, I could not recommend it more highly. I was reminded by Matt's writeup this week, in which he links to a video of Patrick accepting his recent Merl Reagle lifetime achievement award. Patrick was asked about his favorite puzzle he's created, and Middle of the Road was his answer. The clues are cryptic style, which may be unfamiliar territory to some, but the payoff is well worth it.
Thanks for the link. I was unaware of this puzzle, but it is truly a masterpiece.
Warning: This one is not for the faint of heart. Many of the cryptic clues are challenging even for the experienced. as is figuring out where to enter the letters. But the construction is so intricate -- the way that everything comes together for the final answer -- that I cannot imagine how he came up with the idea or managed to execute it.
Jay
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beam me up! Fifteen minute solve BUT I just got to it this morning so it will be crowded in the transporter room.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Joe

Post by Joe »

A day late, but I've happily beamed aboard.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Late to the transporter room, but I've beamed up!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

fun puzzle...off the couch...