#679 - “More to Read” by Patrick Berry

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Beamed up. Easy Peasy once I got to it.
Looks like lots of us beaming up today.
560C0F54-AB3D-49EB-AFB7-8F412C61EA2F.jpeg
Another appropriate cloud-a-day came this morning from Cloud Appreciation Society.
I’m also a member of the Patrick Berry Appreciation Society. Great grid and fun meta.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

ricky wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:38 pm I have halfway solved "Middle of the Road" twice and both times lost the piece of paper I was solving on before I made it to the end. I'll get there one day, I imagine...

Anyway, beamed up. A little bummed I forgot it was MGWCC day until 2 PM since I solved today's puzzle in 6-ish minutes. Wouldn't have beaten Erik Agard's UNDER 60 SECONDS but I would probably have been top 20.

I have a new meta contest going - link below in my signature.
I just finished "Middle of the Road." Wow, what a clever puzzle! Patrick is not from this planet.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Submitted. Pretty confident on this.
burghman

Post by burghman »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:05 pm
Charles Stevens wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:25 pm Beamed.

This being a week 1, I expect some of us will have some extra time on our hands this weekend. What better way to spend that time than to do a jaw-dropping Patrick Berry puzzle? (I'm not exaggerating, this is the only puzzle I've ever done that literally caused my jaw to drop after I'd finished).

https://aframegames.com/puzzles/MiddleOfTheRoad.pdf
I’m not grizzled yet so this is new to me. I find cryptics difficult .. is there a solution page for this (don’t want to attempt otherwise, lest I have nowhere to go for explanations after!)
I’m no expert at these either, but I printed it out and will give it a shot. If you google “Patrick Berry Middle of the Road”, you’ll find a couple YouTube videos showing the solve (I haven’t peeked yet, but I suspect I’ll need them to either help me along the way or when I throw my hands up in frustration and throw in the towel...
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

burghman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:17 am
Charles Stevens wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:25 pm Beamed.

This being a week 1, I expect some of us will have some extra time on our hands this weekend. What better way to spend that time than to do a jaw-dropping Patrick Berry puzzle? (I'm not exaggerating, this is the only puzzle I've ever done that literally caused my jaw to drop after I'd finished).

https://aframegames.com/puzzles/MiddleOfTheRoad.pdf
I’m not grizzled yet so this is new to me. I find cryptics difficult .. is there a solution page for this (don’t want to attempt otherwise, lest I have nowhere to go for explanations after!)
I’m no expert at these either, but I printed it out and will give it a shot. If you google “Patrick Berry Middle of the Road”, you’ll find a couple YouTube videos showing the solve (I haven’t peeked yet, but I suspect I’ll need them to either help me along the way or when I throw my hands up in frustration and throw in the towel...
it was tough but solvable. Patience and perseverance! Well worth the trip.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:08 am
burghman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:17 am

it was tough but solvable. Patience and perseverance! Well worth the trip.
Yeah, i watched a British guy solve it (he had some trouble) - and even the ones he got right away—even when he explained them—I often still didn’t get what he was seeing in the clue. I think this is a whole ‘nother language to learn... ain’t got that kind of time right now. But i can see how it would be satisfying if one were good at it!
The other Wendy. :roll:
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

well, now that I looked at this again this morning, face palm, beaming up.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
ajk

Post by ajk »

lol I didn't even notice the British spellings in the clues. Oops.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer