#678 - “Ad Campaign”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Just realized I am definitely wrong... I spoke too soon.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Solved and submitted.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Traveling back to SF today, and bought in-flight internet to submit. Wouldn't have made the top 10 anyway. Fun one for sure.
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Beamed up! This was a fun one!
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Hector wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:28 pm Traveling back to SF today, and bought in-flight internet to submit. Wouldn't have made the top 10 anyway. Fun one for sure.
If only placement on the leaderboard were dermined by altitude...you'd be atop the list!
That is some dedication to Gaffney.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

It reads as a giant themeless, and I have some minor observations so far - but other than that, I'm deep in the wilderness on this one. We'll see what the next couple of days holds in my cerebral cortex and if anything drops.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:28 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:56 pm Hmm. I've got an eight-letter word whose last letter is A. And I'm confident in the path that got me this far. But I'm not seeing the bow on top to tie it all up. No wrong answers yet, so this is probably it, but I think I'll wait a bit and take another look before submitting.
I would describe my position as exactly the same, but maybe less confident of my final answer. I want to find the perfect thing to confirm it, and have used about ALL my college education to explore it (learning a lot online!) but cannot nail it for sure. May run my answer by someone who is confirmed after a while so I can do something else with this Saturday!
We’re with you guys! We have the first step(s) done and we’re now trying to figure out where to go. We have a word, but are pretty sure it can’t be the answer because as you said, Barbara, there’s no bow on it. Not giving up! I think this is as far as we’ve ever come on a week 4 so doggone it, we want this one!

Edit: We saw something that gave us that “click” that we found the word. Submitted with a lot of confidence but again, never gotten a week 4, soooo..
Last edited by KDubs on Sat May 29, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

On my second look, I noticed an additional elegance, and that gave me the confidence to go ahead and submit. Beam up confirmed!
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

I think the discussion next Wednesday (post solution reveal) will be interesting.
Curious to hear about various experiences w/ the puzzle and the solve.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

docison wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:36 pm I've submitted. Fingers crossed. Liked this one, a bit more approachable than some week 4s.

EDITED: On the board. Sadly missed the top 10 by one spot (will blame it on my kids - we were playing Ticket to Ride when the puzzle came out!).
She's got a puzzle to solve
And she don't care

KDubs

Post by KDubs »

It happened — we solved a week 4 FINALLY!! We submitted and furiously refreshed the leaderboard and were stoked to show up.. I’m sorry to say we’re such dorks that we cheered so loudly that these kids howled!
Attachments
E8848EEB-D3FC-44E6-ACF2-CE9937C50957.jpeg
docison

Post by docison »

MikeyG wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:04 pm
docison wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:36 pm I've submitted. Fingers crossed. Liked this one, a bit more approachable than some week 4s.

EDITED: On the board. Sadly missed the top 10 by one spot (will blame it on my kids - we were playing Ticket to Ride when the puzzle came out!).
And she don't care
Haha! In this case, I meant the board game version - but it's fun to imagine that we were having a Beatles dance party in the house instead of solving metas!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

docison wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:46 pm

And she don't care
Haha! In this case, I meant the board game version - but it's fun to imagine that we were having a Beatles dance party in the house instead of solving metas!
I'm an old soul lol

HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I submitted my “what else can it be??” and am on the board, but I look forward to finding out WHY my answer makes sense. Been looking, and looking, and looking...

Beam me up, a little sheepishly.
The other Wendy. :roll:
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

And she don't care
Just BTW, the Beatles channel on Sirius is counting down their listeners' favorites of the top 100 Beatles songs all Memorial Day weekend. (Traveling, and listening while we're driving.) The top 10 are the usuals (I believe this is the fifth year they've done this), but shuffled around some.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Beamed up. 🐝+💊 ⬆️
-Tamara
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

I think I have it, but it doesn't feel 100%-er.

Edit: got it!
cisalope

Post by cisalope »

Solved it. That was a good puzzle, but I'm looking forward to a few easier weeks!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:48 am

And she don't care
Just BTW, the Beatles channel on Sirius is counting down their listeners' favorites of the top 100 Beatles songs all Memorial Day weekend. (Traveling, and listening while we're driving.) The top 10 are the usuals (I believe this is the fifth year they've done this), but shuffled around some.
Pleasant surprise for #1 this year... it's obviously hard to pick a favorite Beatles song, but it's definitely in my top three. And I love listening to Peter Asher's insights.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

KDubs wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:29 pm
HeadinHome wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:28 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:56 pm Hmm. I've got an eight-letter word whose last letter is A. And I'm confident in the path that got me this far. But I'm not seeing the bow on top to tie it all up. No wrong answers yet, so this is probably it, but I think I'll wait a bit and take another look before submitting.
I would describe my position as exactly the same, but maybe less confident of my final answer. I want to find the perfect thing to confirm it, and have used about ALL my college education to explore it (learning a lot online!) but cannot nail it for sure. May run my answer by someone who is confirmed after a while so I can do something else with this Saturday!
We’re with you guys! We have the first step(s) done and we’re now trying to figure out where to go. We have a word, but are pretty sure it can’t be the answer because as you said, Barbara, there’s no bow on it. Not giving up! I think this is as far as we’ve ever come on a week 4 so doggone it, we want this one!

Edit: We saw something that gave us that “click” that we found the word. Submitted with a lot of confidence but again, never gotten a week 4, soooo..
I seem to be in this club (pre edit) and can only hope to find the "click". I have almost submitted a few times but then remembered how I was able to convince myself that I had the correct answer, but was wrong, many times in the past. I will continue my quest for enlightenment.

Addendum: I saw some things that I thought gave me a click. I must have thought wrong. I submitted but did not make the board. Looks like I have some puzzling to do yet.
Last edited by lbray53 on Sun May 30, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!