#678 - “Ad Campaign”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:03 am
Pleasant surprise for #1 this year... it's obviously hard to pick a favorite Beatles song, but it's definitely in my top three. And I love listening to Peter Asher's insights.
Funny, we're usually on the road to somewhere on Memorial Day weekend. Now I kinda make a point to -- so we can listen to this show!
Last edited by ChrisKochmanski on Sun May 30, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Solved and submitted. Awaiting confirmation. Fun puzzle!

EDIT: I'm on the board!
Last edited by ChrisKochmanski on Sun May 30, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, submitted! Waiting for confirmation but it certainly seems like I should have the answer. The "click" is not as 100% as usual but that may just be a lack of knowledge on my part. This was a difficult one for me.

AARGH - last update was 10:30 this AM and I'm waiting, and I'm waiting....I think I am in the same boat as many others who have an answer they are reasonably comfortable with but it doesn't have that "OF COURSE!!!". I'll continue to do the Q10 minute refreshes....

FINALLY!! In at #142 and as pleased as I can be. I thought for a minute this was a week 5 and I was about to go get the puzzle name tattooed on my arm, but I see it is a week 4 so perhaps just a nice discreet billboard along I-95. I do not get a lot of the later weeks ones without help so this makes me believe that MAYBE, just MAYBE I'm getting better at this.
Last edited by DrTom on Sun May 30, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:arrow_up: Ditto. :fingers_crossed:

<refresh>
<refresh>
<refresh>

EDIT: :alien: :flying_saucer: beamed up!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I swear that when these puzzles are released I'm just going to head for the bathroom! Now not for the reason you think (though a lot of grid filling is done while seated there), but I got the WSJ puzzle while brushing my teeth and I saw what I had been missing in my mechanism. For this puzzle I was showering and a nagging thought I'd had for a while just leapt to the front. I almost didn't wait until I dried off! Anyway I ran to the puzzle and looked to see if I had the right idea, and I did. It still took me some time (after church and after making breakfast) since I had about another 30 minutes or so of cogitating because I was on the track of the right mechanism but had been led astray by a crimson Chordata or a pesky Pieces.

So it appears that the bathroom is the trick, next week 3-5 I'm just printing the puzzle, grabbing my toothbrush and my loofa, the waterproof pens and a laminated copy of the puzzle and going in for the kill!

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

DrTom wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:23 pm I swear that when these puzzles are released I'm just going to head for the bathroom! Now not for the reason you think (though a lot of grid filling is done while seated there), but I got the WSJ puzzle while brushing my teeth and I saw what I had been missing in my mechanism. For this puzzle I was showering and a nagging thought I'd had for a while just leapt to the front. I almost didn't wait until I dried off! Anyway I ran to the puzzle and looked to see if I had the right idea, and I did. It still took me some time (after church and after making breakfast) since I had about another 30 minutes or so of cogitating because I was on the track of the right mechanism but had been led astray by a crimson Chordata or a pesky Pieces.

So it appears that the bathroom is the trick, next week 3-5 I'm just printing the puzzle, grabbing my toothbrush and my loofa, the waterproof pens and a laminated copy of the puzzle and going in for the kill!

T
This is a solving tip if I ever saw one! 🤣🤣🤣
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beam me up. 8-) Did spend a little time looking for a final click, but in the end decided it just wasn’t there and didn’t seem vital. Which probably just means I missed it. :lol: :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Beamed up at 140! Didn’t have far to go, as I was already on cloud 9 when my solving partner Bob and I got this by ourselves. What a thrill.
Here’s the cloud 9 of which I was speaking.
D8690278-6FA2-43EA-8B6B-D9380C9FFA4F.jpeg
I’m a member of the Cloud Appreciation Society, and receive a grand cloud picture such as this every day.
TRidgway

Post by TRidgway »

DrTom wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:23 pm I swear that when these puzzles are released I'm just going to head for the bathroom! Now not for the reason you think (though a lot of grid filling is done while seated there), but I got the WSJ puzzle while brushing my teeth and I saw what I had been missing in my mechanism. For this puzzle I was showering and a nagging thought I'd had for a while just leapt to the front. I almost didn't wait until I dried off! Anyway I ran to the puzzle and looked to see if I had the right idea, and I did. It still took me some time (after church and after making breakfast) since I had about another 30 minutes or so of cogitating because I was on the track of the right mechanism but had been led astray by a crimson Chordata or a pesky Pieces.

T
Hm. Didn't work. Something wrong with my shower, I guess.
I'm tardy, wig askew.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

TRidgway wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:00 am

T
Hm. Didn't work. Something wrong with my shower, I guess.
If you didn't leave with wrinkly skin you were not in there long enough!

Course truth be told I kind of entered that way but...
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

I’m with Dr Tom on this one. I am pretty sure I am there and submitted but can’t quite find the click. Also like Dr Tom the WSJ came to me in the bathroom this week. Agree it is a great source of meta enlightenment though not as great as this forum.

Having dismissed what was indeed step one on Saturday I went back to it after a little post enlightenment and encouragement (more of the latter) here and voila there it was. But not in the bathroom.

Hope you all enjoyed the holiday and reflected on our fallen heroes. Stay well.

Edit - confirmed. Still not sure of the click.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Submitted and confirmed. Need some nudges on this one, but happy to be on the leaderboard.
Cindy Heisler
burak

Post by burak »

JordanianTomlinson wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:03 pm Beam me up! Ironically much quicker than the WSJ this week which was a good 36-hour slog for me.
Right there with you. This took me 2 minutes after finishing the grid, yet the lack of that final click is making me hesitant and I'm keen to look for an additional step. That being said, many people who lacked that click submitted the correct answer so maybe I shouldn't overthink this one.

WSJ, on the other hand, woof. I did so many number combinations on that grid it's ridiculous. And the final answer was sooo straightforward. Ugh.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

After reading your reactions, I guess I'll go ahead and submit. Like many of you, I'm still waiting for the *click*.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

This might be like WOODPECKER for me a few weeks back; nothing is dropping and, unlike FAR-OFF WORLDS, I don't feel like I'm right there - I feel like I'm nowhere lol. So this is a placeholder post to remind me to give it a go later today, but this might ultimately be a pass for me.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
lkeigwin

Post by lkeigwin »

In at #268. I spent too much time on this. I got a foothold early but had an error that stopped me cold. Finally saw it.

I thought it was pretty elegant. And wrapped up with a nice bow.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

lkeigwin wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:10 pm In at #268. I spent too much time on this. I got a foothold early but had an error that stopped me cold. Finally saw it.

I thought it was pretty elegant. And wrapped up with a nice bow.
Goodness, I'll be anxiously anticipating the "tie" up because I have one but it is a BIG stretch.

T
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Submitted, not yet confirmed. I knew what it had to be when I had only 72% completed. The last 28% required that I do what I always forget to do.
(The clue for 3D sounded very familiar. Is this just an echo of the Fifty States puzzle, or is there some allusion or inside joke that I've missed?)
Jay
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I had a busy weekend, so I looked at it today and so far nothing. I'll keep at it for awhile longer, but not hopeful.
Heidi
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:53 pm I submitted my “what else can it be??” and am on the board, but I look forward to finding out WHY my answer makes sense. Been looking, and looking, and looking...

Beam me up, a little sheepishly.
Same here.
My submission is still not confirmed as the board hasn't been updated in 4-5 hours -- I guess Ada is providing some distraction from the important things in life. But I'm fairly certain my answer is the correct one. I just can't figure out how it's related to the rest of the puzzle, @BarbaraK says she spotted something that brings it all together, but whatever it is, it has eluded me.
Jay