"Please State Your Full Name" - May 21, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
subtly

Post by subtly »

on shore. hibiki neat please
===
Averting musical theatre emergencies since 1976.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Ashore!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

On shore.

I thought there would be more people here by now. I found this one to be much easier than last week, but I was slow to catch onto the letters UDLR.
JimJim

Post by JimJim »

Got a late start. On shore. Fun one. Have a good weekend everyone.
steveb

Post by steveb »

On shore - after chasing some red herrings into rabbit holes
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Isaac has me as a customer for at least the next two days.

Enjoying the warm weather and our anniversary.
Rufus T. Firefly
Gman

Post by Gman »

Ashore. Agree that the mechanism seems a little off, but I think there is only one possible answer with what I derived, so in goes my educated guess.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I believe that I can derive the answer based on what I have, but perplexed with one letter. Gonna have to noodle on this a bit. Too late for page 1 anyway.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Tom Shea wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:49 pm Isaac has me as a customer for at least the next two days.

Enjoying the warm weather and our anniversary.
Happy anniversary! I'll be down here at the other end of the bar.
Joe

Post by Joe »

ky-mike wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:00 pm I believe that I can derive the answer based on what I have, but perplexed with one letter. Gonna have to noodle on this a bit. Too late for page 1 anyway.
Me too.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

On shore! Glad to solve and not be tortured this weekend.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Scott M wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:30 pm On shore, I think. There's an inconsistency that is nagging at me. I'm going to submit what I've got, so feel free to DM if you agree, or if you think I'm off base.
We were stuck on one point until we realized we didn't see all the detail of one of the mechanisms. It was partially because we suspected the answer that we were able to figure it out.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

ky-mike wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:00 pm I believe that I can derive the answer based on what I have, but perplexed with one letter. Gonna have to noodle on this a bit. Too late for page 1 anyway.
Noodled just a bit longer and saw the error of my ways.

Definitely on shore.
docison

Post by docison »

Just got to this one after a 15 year old baseball game (a win!) and a 6 year old birthday dinner (a success!). Puzzle completed quickly, so I'm 3 for 3. I liked this one and don't think there is inconsistency.
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

On the shore this week after an enjoyable swim. Last week... couldn't get beyond the trees to see the full forest... but saw the leaves, branches and full forest emerging here -- a pretty good feeling after lots of staring last time around. Let's celebrate with a Keg Grove Don't Tell Mom Hazy IPA... delicious.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

On shore.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Back on shore after a miss last week. Initially stumped and almost ready to put it down for the night when it finally clicked.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Made it to shore. Took longer than I would have liked. Another interesting twist from Mr. Gaffney.
steveb

Post by steveb »

After further reflection, I realized that what I thought was an inconsistency (I'm sure it's the same one others have commented on) isn't an inconsistency at all. You just have to think about it in a slightly different way.
Inca

Post by Inca »

I do believe I've solved this one. Had the solution but had to backsolve to justify it totally.

I was almost not going to solve this one because the grid left a really bad taste in my mouth. But I noticed the "clue" right away so then I had to go through with it.