"Please State Your Full Name" - May 21, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe

Post by Joe »

I've resolved that one inconsistency (with Wendy's help!!). The answer I'd already submitted with crossed fingers is now a lock. On shore for sure.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Got crimped by that inconsistency.
But soon saw the proper and consistent path to the solution.

Safely and confidently on shore.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:15 pm
Scott M wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:30 pm On shore, I think. There's an inconsistency that is nagging at me. I'm going to submit what I've got, so feel free to DM if you agree, or if you think I'm off base.
We were stuck on one point until we realized we didn't see all the detail of one of the mechanisms. It was partially because we suspected the answer that we were able to figure it out.
@LesY pointed out the elegance that I missed. It all makes sense now!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
RobM

Post by RobM »

It took a while, but I got there. Tricky construction.
Gman

Post by Gman »

I agree that the final answer is rock solid. There is still an inconsistency that will lead many a poor soul down a wicked rabbit hole from which it will be difficult to pull out, and which is certain to be a source of chatter on Monday.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Ashore.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

This one was super fun. Safely ashore and eager to find out what these nagging inconsistencies are on Monday as to me it was as tight as my 35 year old REM concert t-shirts...
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Ashore. I deducted .01 of a point, from the rating, due to a wee bit of inelegance (IMO).
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

RPardoe wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:26 pm Got crimped by that inconsistency.
But soon saw the proper and consistent path to the solution.

Safely and confidently on shore.
I'm on that boat as well. Fairly sure of the solution but have one sticking point that I need to solve before I submit.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

On shore
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Gman wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:33 pm I agree that the final answer is rock solid. There is still an inconsistency that will lead many a poor soul down a wicked rabbit hole from which it will be difficult to pull out, and which is certain to be a source of chatter on Monday.
I don't like the sound of that since I am down that rabbit hole. :shock:
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

*shakes fist at Gaffney*
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

So, Isaac, ‘size sayin, and THEN what happened was...
boharr

Post by boharr »

Gman wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:33 pm I agree that the final answer is rock solid. There is still an inconsistency that will lead many a poor soul down a wicked rabbit hole from which it will be difficult to pull out, and which is certain to be a source of chatter on Monday.
Well, maybe. But just remember that a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
mbryant

Post by mbryant »

On shore. Reading the comments about the inconsistency made me think again about my path, found it and am very happy. Very cool meta. Late start again because of a beautiful afternoon of golf!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

solved. Much like others, confused on one of the five letters but then figured it out quickly.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

It's me again, Isaac! Long time no see! Just give me the usual...

I got the grid done fairly quickly, and I see some obvious things in the meta, but I suspect I've gone down the rabbit hole others have mentioned. Trying to look at it from different angles, but it's hard to unsee something, even when it's (probably?) pointing in the wrong direction.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Softie

Post by Softie »

On shore! This week I got a new 10" e-reader with a stylus and got to solve "on paper" with the PDF instead of in my non-markable crossword app -- what a delight.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Late on the board because of work once again. Maybe some day when I retire I can jump on the puzzles as soon as they post!

I am intrigued by the inconsistency people are referring to .. I find it rock solid. Once I figured out the method, the treasure hunt was fun!

Toes in the sand and looking for my Old Fashioned .. which I will take two sips of before I fall asleep cuz I am exhausted. (Why does EVERYONE want their home remodeled right NOW?)
The other Wendy. :roll:
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

Ashore after a small snag. Tricky :)