"The Play's The Thing" - June 7, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved, in spite of the fact that I know nothing about Shakespeare's plays except what I learned in high school and college. Thanks for the clock, Brian!
Cynthia
Special_Ed

Post by Special_Ed »

Forsooth, I beith ashore!

Did not have to resort to Mr. G, which does not reflect my knowledge of the Bard. Recent attendance at a certain play helped somewhat.
Dearly departed Mom left me a "Complete Works of Shakespeare" that served me well this week.

I'll have to search for a tankard of Mead [or equivalent]
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

Count me on shore! Not too tough for a change!
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Ashore! Need some of these 'easier' ones to keep Rita and me motivated (and she usually gets the Meta, so I'm proud to have figured it out this time!).
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning muggles. There has been a constant movement to the shore which is getting very crowded. Currently we have 76 on the shore which left Isaac polishing the ship's bar alone.

Welcome to our newest muggles: gamera13, Pam Darling, and Sidney Kadish who are all on the shore.

Good luck winning the elusive mug.

And the comments this week are great!!!
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I dog paddled to shore........worked independently this week and both arrived safely!

Mug time.......
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Methinks the beach will be most crowded. Thou may counteth me amongst those who gambol happily upon the sandy shore.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

This was one where I was about 90% sure that I knew the exact steps to solve it before I even started the grid. I was right.
I think the island is going to sink this week under the weight of all the solvers.

Thanks for the countdown timer!
bunella

Post by bunella »

I don't print the puzzle til Friday and I had to go out early this AM so here I am now onshore happily and didn't have a chance to say hi to Isaac before I stole the pretzels.
jamescarter

Post by jamescarter »

The game is up! I am safely ashore.
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

On shore quickly thanks, of course, to Google. Do I have to share custody of my mug with Page and Brin?
Tina

Post by Tina »

Everyone should read Matt's write-up today on his controversial Week 5 meta last week. It provides a good look into the mind of the constructor. I think trying to put yourself into the mind of the constructor can sometimes help solve a meta. Also, writing stuff down can help you see what you're meant to see. http://xwordcontest.com/
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Yikes. Feeling rather lonely hanging with Isaac. Must be gettable after a couple of tough weeks.
JimmyJam

Post by JimmyJam »

On shore!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Deb F wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:21 pm Yikes. Feeling rather lonely hanging with Isaac. Must be gettable after a couple of tough weeks.
You definitely can get it. We have a place save for you at the Tiki Bar
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Guy

Post by Guy »

Ashore....getting my land legs back after weeks at sea...
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore.
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

On shore although the surf was kind of choppy due to so many arriving - the odds of winning a mug are diminishing by the minute.
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

Joedbee wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:40 pm On shore although the surf was kind of choppy due to so many arriving - the odds of winning a mug are diminishing by the minute.
In damned mug! In I say
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Deb F wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:21 pm Yikes. Feeling rather lonely hanging with Isaac. Must be gettable after a couple of tough weeks.
Definitely gettable. You’re probably overthinking it. Depending on how much you know about Shakespeare’s plays, you may have to google but just a little.