"Following Directions" - May 14, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Grover

Post by Grover »

On shore. The beach isn't quite so crowded yet.
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

I never do this, but would anyone mind PMing me a nudge? We usually get Mike’s metas but we’re so LAS on this one!
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

On shore thanks to some gentle, ahem, DIRECTION from a few helpful muggles!! We were on the right track but whoa baby, this one is definitely in a league of its own. I can’t believe Mike’s construction in this. What a satisfying win! I hope you all have a great rest of your weekend!
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Keeping Isaac company for the time being. Stumped so far.
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

YES YES YES!
Oy gevalt what a pain in the meta.
On shore.
This was the worst or the best.
(And to those with whom I exchanged PMs, keep following the direction we discussed and you will get there.)
Last edited by Mister Squawk on Sat May 15, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I am stuck on the boat with Isaac for now. I will keep trying though. I have to be close. Or maybe not. But I have some things to ponder at least.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

I see something in the answers to the starred clues that is either very important, or a coincidence. But I am currently unable to take that something and direct it to the solution. Sitting with Isaac, hoping for a nudge.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Ishaack! 'nother... 'nother... rhound. Shtill lookin' fer th' rite direkshun...
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Holy moly... We are on shore! Not sure if this is the toughest we have solved, but we do feel accomplished for sticking it out.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Darth

Post by Darth »

I'd like a little nudge, please... or a big one!
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

Ashore. What a great meta. This one was real journey, and it was fun. It is especially enjoyable when you have found the door but then have to hunt for the key.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Finished the grid on the plane to LA yesterday (fully vaxxed and allowed to attend my son’s USC extremely socially-distanced graduation). Haven’t been able to focus on the meta yet, and given the comments, I’m-a-scared! Maybe tomorrow, whilst I’m sitting in the LA Coliseum...
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
anaerobe

Post by anaerobe »

TeaJenny wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:39 pm Ishaack! 'nother... 'nother... rhound. Shtill lookin' fer th' rite direkshun...
I've been at the bar so long I'm going to need a complete change of blood! And you should really go drunk, I think you're home again...

...or at least try spellcheck, otherwise you can type words you didn't nintendo.
anaerobe

Post by anaerobe »

Not sure if the 'dumb instructions' thread is played out. But I was patching the tire on my wheelbarrow and saw this........good to know.

IMG_4690.jpg
Last edited by anaerobe on Sat May 15, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

On shore after some helpful nudges. Amazed at the construction of this puzzle...how do they do it?
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:58 am
So far we have 27 on the ship and 92 on the shore with varying amounts of life guard assistance.
Bob, you can add me to those who are floundering. I'm hopeful that inspiration will strike soon.
KFB

Post by KFB »

Moved in many directions, somehow always winding up in same spot - only further down the hole. Would greatly appreciate a compass with the needle pointing to a nudge. (if you wish you only need to supply the comp - I already have the ass portion.)
Thanks in advance.
hashbrownoholic

Post by hashbrownoholic »

Made it to shore this morning once I finally realized I needed to make a a quick note BEFORE starting to follow directions...thanks to those that offered to help out a newbie with a nudge! Proud to have gotten my first one solved by myself :D
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

anaerobe wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:48 pm
TeaJenny wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:39 pm Ishaack! 'nother... 'nother... rhound. Shtill lookin' fer th' rite direkshun...
I've been at the bar so long I'm going to need a complete change of blood! And you should really go drunk, I think you're home again...

...or at least try spellcheck, otherwise you can type words you didn't nintendo.
But, Occifer! I'm not as think as you drunk I am!
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Ergcat wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:41 pm
KDubs wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:19 pm
Schmeel wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:23 am
Many happy returns!
I, like you, celebrated my anniversary yesterday. But I knew better than to try to peek a glance at the puzzle until today. My better half is usually very tolerant of my interest in crossword puzzles - but I didn't want to push my luck!
Yes our 50th is in July which is quite a milestone, but it's not helping me one whit to find the right direction on this one. Sigh. At least the namesake of our favorite wine won the Preakness today.

Happy anniversary!! May 13 sure is a good day for love ☺️☺️☺️ I’m so glad metas are something hubs and I work on together — I couldn’t solve most of them by myself so I’d end up spending many hours alone every weekend trying to solve them, haha!
Today is my 38th Anniversary! Here I am staring at the puzzle hoping that I “see it”! My husband just said he’d take a look and help me (romantic gesture) but after 2 minutes he gave up! Ahhh, isn’t love grand! Looks like I’ll be in the Bar with Isaac for a while!
🌴🍹