"Following Directions" - May 14, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

:D
sharkicicles wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:17 am
DrTom wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:05 am OK, my weird sense of humor had me chuckling about this for about 70 miles.

We stopped at a rest stop on the way back from the Keys. In the Men's rest room, above and to the left of the hand dryer and sink was this sign:

hands free.jpg

Now surely I cannot be the only one to have ever marveled at the irony of this and the futility of announcing that nothing there needed hands except perhaps to read the sign? I'm not being insensitive mind you, just gobstruck that this was the only information provided. What exactly would you get from reading that sign if you were not sighted?

The only thing that might be less helpful was a similar type sign on the waffle iron at a hotel breakfast that read in English and Braille "DO NOT TOUCH WAFFLE IRON IS VERY HOT" (and I'll bet you somewhere that sign exists!)

What are the dumbest signs people have seen? Given our collective senses of humor there have had to be those that made you go "WHAT"
well, if it was near the urinals, that probably would not have been the cleanest rest stop in the country.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

DrTom wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:58 am :D
sharkicicles wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:17 am
DrTom wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:05 am OK, my weird sense of humor had me chuckling about this for about 70 miles.

We stopped at a rest stop on the way back from the Keys. In the Men's rest room, above and to the left of the hand dryer and sink was this sign:

hands free.jpg

Now surely I cannot be the only one to have ever marveled at the irony of this and the futility of announcing that nothing there needed hands except perhaps to read the sign? I'm not being insensitive mind you, just gobstruck that this was the only information provided. What exactly would you get from reading that sign if you were not sighted?

The only thing that might be less helpful was a similar type sign on the waffle iron at a hotel breakfast that read in English and Braille "DO NOT TOUCH WAFFLE IRON IS VERY HOT" (and I'll bet you somewhere that sign exists!)

What are the dumbest signs people have seen? Given our collective senses of humor there have had to be those that made you go "WHAT"
well, if it was near the urinals, that probably would not have been the cleanest rest stop in the country.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I made DrTom laugh, my job's done here for the week.
Gman

Post by Gman »

Ashore. My brain hurts.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:51 am She told one of her friends the other day that I was a part of a group of Muggers that hold weekly Zoom meetings and yell back and forth at each other.
We yell at each other? 🤔

sharkicicles wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:56 pm I'm at the age where early Late Night was still a bit over my head, but my parents let me watch it anyway, and Larry Bud Melman, Stupid Pet/Human Tricks, and things getting crushed by a steamroller will always be the foundation of things I find hilarious.
"I can't tell the difference, Dave."
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
CallMeShane

Post by CallMeShane »

Once again midnight loo inspiration struck as I restlessly tried to get back asleep.

Done
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

No clue, but no worries yet- it’s only Friday. Or I may be going down with the ship.
75F9C533-93FF-44C0-B994-4C92A0E14F71.jpeg
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I’m there!

On shore, that is.

While traveling, which required me to draw the grid (on grid paper, which I handily brought along), which did NOT make the solving easier.

But worth it. Fun!

Dumbest sign? Well, I remember checking the directions on some kind of glue, that read something like: “Do not apply in eyes.”
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Ashore!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

KDubs wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:18 pm Solved the grid (with only a couple of Googles, which is a big thing for us with a Shenk puzzle!), but still searching for a lead on the meta. Hubs and I are celebrating our fourth wedding anniversary today (been together nine years), and crosswords were one of the first things we ever did together. I think it was about five years ago we discovered meta crossword puzzles, so it’s kinda special we have one to work on for our anniversary. 🥰🥰🥰 We’ll keep at it and hope to solve this one to commemorate four years of marriage!
Many happy returns!
I, like you, celebrated my anniversary yesterday. But I knew better than to try to peek a glance at the puzzle until today. My better half is usually very tolerant of my interest in crossword puzzles - but I didn't want to push my luck!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Miki wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:24 pm On shore!

I think I deserve the mug not because I solved the puzzle, but because I solved from Israel, while 7 hours ahead (1 am), in quarantine, in a war zone! Toes in sand, mostly desert sand.
Welcome! Stay safe.
mbryant

Post by mbryant »

Schmeel wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:23 am
KDubs wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:18 pm Solved the grid (with only a couple of Googles, which is a big thing for us with a Shenk puzzle!), but still searching for a lead on the meta. Hubs and I are celebrating our fourth wedding anniversary today (been together nine years), and crosswords were one of the first things we ever did together. I think it was about five years ago we discovered meta crossword puzzles, so it’s kinda special we have one to work on for our anniversary. 🥰🥰🥰 We’ll keep at it and hope to solve this one to commemorate four years of marriage!
Many happy returns!
I, like you, celebrated my anniversary yesterday. But I knew better than to try to peek a glance at the puzzle until today. My better half is usually very tolerant of my interest in crossword puzzles - but I didn't want to push my luck!
I am in the same boat, May 13 anniversary, 32 years but waited until today to get started! And I am still on the boat. Congratulations to the happily married couples.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

mbryant wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:40 am
Schmeel wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:23 am
Many happy returns!
I am in the same boat, May 13 anniversary, 32 years but waited until today to get started! And I am still on the boat. Congratulations to the happily married couples.
23 years on 27 May - but we celebrate according the Hebrew calender - 2 Sivan!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I’m ashore. That was very fun! I will have another cappuccino, please.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

I saw a Braille sign on a drive thru ATM.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

KDubs wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:53 pm
Cindy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:32 pm
Happy anniversary! One year on our anniversary my husband took me to meet Will Shortz. Best gift ever! And most likely the cheapest.

Thank you so much! And whoa, what an anniversary gift to aspire to!
It was just an amazing coincidence. He was speaking at the Charlotte Public Library on our actual anniversary. The icing on the cake was........the audience played all sorts of word games and I was the winner! So I also got a whole stack of his crossword books - autographed. Total investment $20. Total return -priceless!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:03 am I’m there!

On shore, that is.

While traveling, which required me to draw the grid (on grid paper, which I handily brought along), which did NOT make the solving easier.

But worth it. Fun!

Dumbest sign? Well, I remember checking the directions on some kind of glue, that read something like: “Do not apply in eyes.”
There are 15x15 blank grids you can print from the internet. I have a travel stash of those.
fstadler

Post by fstadler »

Got it. Brilliant, MS!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

On shore! Since it’s morning, I also think a cappuccino sounds amazing.. or maybe just a shot of Baileys in my morning cup o’Joe, cause IT’S MY BIRTHDAY AND I JUST GOT THE META! Actually didn’t have time to tackle it yesterday (work, visitors), so it’ll be a double-solve day once Gaffney’s posts.

I thought this one was a great “think about it” puzzle... lots of ways to interpret the various clues and nudges in the puzzle, and a couple of minor aha moments before the big AHA moment. That’s good fun.

Someone on page one said they had seen that only 40 answers had been submitted so far at that point... where are you seeing these stats?
The other Wendy. :roll:
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:36 am On shore! Since it’s morning, I also think a cappuccino sounds amazing.. or maybe just a shot of Baileys in my morning cup o’Joe, cause IT’S MY BIRTHDAY AND I JUST GOT THE META! Actually didn’t have time to tackle it yesterday (work, visitors), so it’ll be a double-solve day once Gaffney’s posts.

I thought this one was a great “think about it” puzzle... lots of ways to interpret the various clues and nudges in the puzzle, and a couple of minor aha moments before the big AHA moment. That’s good fun.

Someone on page one said they had seen that only 40 answers had been submitted so far at that point... where are you seeing these stats?
Happy birthday!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:36 am On shore! Since it’s morning, I also think a cappuccino sounds amazing.. or maybe just a shot of Baileys in my morning cup o’Joe, cause IT’S MY BIRTHDAY AND I JUST GOT THE META! Actually didn’t have time to tackle it yesterday (work, visitors), so it’ll be a double-solve day once Gaffney’s posts.

Happy Birthday and Congrats on the meta!