"Following Directions" - May 14, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Done!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Solved and on sand although still spitting up sea water. Guinness desperately needed.
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Ashore! Very nice!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm on shore. Found the grid more challenging than usual. (That's a good thing, IMO.) Had to guess the letter in square 50, but I somehow guessed right.
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

Solved the grid (with only a couple of Googles, which is a big thing for us with a Shenk puzzle!), but still searching for a lead on the meta. Hubs and I are celebrating our fourth wedding anniversary today (been together nine years), and crosswords were one of the first things we ever did together. I think it was about five years ago we discovered meta crossword puzzles, so it’s kinda special we have one to work on for our anniversary. 🥰🥰🥰 We’ll keep at it and hope to solve this one to commemorate four years of marriage!
Miki

Post by Miki »

On shore!

I think I deserve the mug not because I solved the puzzle, but because I solved from Israel, while 7 hours ahead (1 am), in quarantine, in a war zone! Toes in sand, mostly desert sand.
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

Miki wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:24 pm On shore!

I think I deserve the mug not because I solved the puzzle, but because I solved from Israel, while 7 hours ahead (1 am), in quarantine, in a war zone! Toes in sand, mostly desert sand.
Lots of love to you and I hope you stay safe ❤️❤️❤️
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved. But boy did this use a part of my brain that doesn’t often get used. Can explain Monday. I am ———— challenged. But am an excellent ———- and ——————-. I’ll fill in the blanks Monday.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

KDubs wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:18 pm Solved the grid (with only a couple of Googles, which is a big thing for us with a Shenk puzzle!), but still searching for a lead on the meta. Hubs and I are celebrating our fourth wedding anniversary today (been together nine years), and crosswords were one of the first things we ever did together. I think it was about five years ago we discovered meta crossword puzzles, so it’s kinda special we have one to work on for our anniversary. 🥰🥰🥰 We’ll keep at it and hope to solve this one to commemorate four years of marriage!
Happy anniversary! One year on our anniversary my husband took me to meet Will Shortz. Best gift ever! And most likely the cheapest.
b4alltime

Post by b4alltime »

Holy cow! On shore on page 2. A new PB.
Regards to all.
Jim
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

Cindy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:32 pm
KDubs wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:18 pm Solved the grid (with only a couple of Googles, which is a big thing for us with a Shenk puzzle!), but still searching for a lead on the meta. Hubs and I are celebrating our fourth wedding anniversary today (been together nine years), and crosswords were one of the first things we ever did together. I think it was about five years ago we discovered meta crossword puzzles, so it’s kinda special we have one to work on for our anniversary. 🥰🥰🥰 We’ll keep at it and hope to solve this one to commemorate four years of marriage!
Happy anniversary! One year on our anniversary my husband took me to meet Will Shortz. Best gift ever! And most likely the cheapest.

Thank you so much! And whoa, what an anniversary gift to aspire to!
Last edited by KDubs on Thu May 13, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

On shore. This was a really fun one for me.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:desert_island: :tropical_drink: On shore.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I am safely on shore!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Going down various rabbit holes now. I guess that’s progress.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

minimuggle wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:31 pm Like others I have figured out the mechanism but I'm getting jibberish :)
Same for me. I'm trying to think of what step I'm missing.
JimJim

Post by JimJim »

Yep me too. Frustrating. This is not like me. Guess I'll take a tour of the boat to clear my head.
MMac

Post by MMac »

Ashore. Thanks again, Mike Shenk and the WSJ - great work.
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

Ashore!

My daughter picked up a dozen free donuts from Krispy Kreme Doughnuts this morning for breakfast (a graduation promotion), so ‘following directions’ is so not on the list for today!

Good health and good solving,

PM me if you need doughnuts with ‘2021’ glazed on them :-)
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Oooh....what a satisfying solve! Loved it!! On the beach :)
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D