"Following Directions" - May 14, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I've finished the grid, trying hard to follow directions to the tiki bar.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:36 am On shore! Since it’s morning, I also think a cappuccino sounds amazing.. or maybe just a shot of Baileys in my morning cup o’Joe, cause IT’S MY BIRTHDAY AND I JUST GOT THE META! Actually didn’t have time to tackle it yesterday (work, visitors), so it’ll be a double-solve day once Gaffney’s posts.

I thought this one was a great “think about it” puzzle... lots of ways to interpret the various clues and nudges in the puzzle, and a couple of minor aha moments before the big AHA moment. That’s good fun.

Someone on page one said they had seen that only 40 answers had been submitted so far at that point... where are you seeing these stats?
Yea!! Have two cups, what the heck it's a day to celebrate:

Hippo.jpg
Hippo.jpg
Hippo Birdie Dear HeadinHome
Hippo.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Hey! He was just following directions..
12403D9D-524C-4A54-9725-372EACC15E77.jpeg
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

On the umpteenth rabbit hole I finally found the shore! Chardonnay tonight for sure. Good luck Muggles.
femullen

Post by femullen »

Henry Paul wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:02 pm The Mrs and I are hanging at the bar with Isaac. More than one person needs to rate the meta so that I can either (a) be continued to be depressed that it's a Level 1 and I'm stumped or (b) be encouraged that it's > 1 and therefore I'm supposed to feel depressed 'cuz it's difficult. ;-)
I find these things impossible to rate, and the ratings don't seem to help me at all. Last week's puzzle was apparently "easy peasy:" multiple successful puzzlers said so. But it depended on knowing the name of a movie star, and I don't know movie stars from bus drivers, so to me it was a 5. This week's wasn't obvious, but it was straightforward, so maybe a 2. But then I see Wendy Walker claims to be still scribbling in her notebook, so maybe it's a 4. In my mind they all start as 5s, and most of them stay there.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hanging with Issac and starting at gibberish.

I think I have the mechanism but with nothing but gibberish not so sure.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

I've got nothing. Absolutely nothing. Been trying different things all day, but keep coming up with, well, let's just say rabbit droppings. I think Isaac feels my pain, but it's hard to tell.
Matthew
BethA

Post by BethA »

Off Topic —

I was cranky this morning before I got this meta.

Now cranky because I can’t download this week’s variety puzzle. Getting an error message. Loop-the-loop puzzle.

I sent a message to support, but don’t know how soon or if they’ll respond to a non-subscriber.
clem

Post by clem »

joining this forum because I wanted to share the very rare joy of solving a meta, alas more often to whine about failing to do so, like this week. I feel like I'm halfway there but can't figure out whether it's over- or underthinking that's keeping me at sea.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

.... signs people have seen? Given our collective senses of humor there have had to be those that made you go "WHAT"
The wonderful school/childcare center I worked at for years, retired from, and then volunteered at until Covid, had a sign right inside the front entrance:
THIS IS A NUT FREE FACILITY
Because it was populated with 3-month to 8-year olds, the people who cared for them, and abounded with antics every day, I could only shake my head in disagreement with a fond smile every morning as I entered. :)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:31 am
We yell at each other? 🤔
Well let's just say it is due to our operating systems. We are not using an IOS but rather two IOUS (PRODIGIOUS AND LOQUACIOUS). We are not actually yelling at each other but in our desire to get our point(s) across we sometimes will chime in more loudly so that people are aware we are speaking (actually Joe you are one of the most courteous and one I should emulate, I have even seen you raise your hand and I assume it is not to announce a bathroom break). At any rate she always says that if she is in the living room (my "office" has walls but not the best ones) she feels like she has been on the call. Now in everyone else's defense it it her loudmouth husband that she hears the most - think she'd be used to that by now.....
Brady Zoom 2.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BethA wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:37 pm Off Topic —

Now cranky because I can’t download this week’s variety puzzle. Getting an error message. Loop-the-loop puzzle.

I sent a message to support, but don’t know how soon or if they’ll respond to a non-subscriber.
ron wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:56 pm If you are getting this error the PDF file is here: http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... 152021.pdf

I'm sure they will fix it in a bit though.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

On shore! The streak remains unBROken for now. I hAD a late start to the puzzle since I was at a BIrding festival in Indiana at the dunes. Printed the puzzle out at the hotel and fiLLED in the grid on the drive home. Had some ideas which weren't going in the right direction. My HUsband chimed in with an idea but still no success with this week's giMMIck. Then he raNG in with another idea which I comBIned with my idea--and the woRD appeared! I had a flurry at our local ice cream parlor--unfortunately, they don't have Reese's Pieces.
--------------------------------
This bird is lifer #599. It normally lives in central Mexico but took a wrong turn and ended up on the north side of Chicago. It totally ruined my Mother's Day. We drove up to the forest preserve, stood around for a loooooong time, it flitted in very briefly. My husband (who could really care less) saw the bird and I only caught its silhouette (not enough of a sighting for me to ethically count it as seen). I was very peeved--I might have said a bad word or two. But then, I was (kind of) in the neighborhood on Tuesday and went back to the preserve. And stood around for a looooong time. Gave up and decided that I might as well take a hike and see what other birds were around. As I was walking back to my car, which was parked by the tree that the bird has been seen in, I saw everyone raising their binoculars or cameras. Oh no! I was going to be doubly peeved if I missed it by seconds. Fortunately, it stayed around for a while and I was able to get some great looks at this beautiful bird.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:10 pm
BethA wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:37 pm Off Topic —

ron wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:56 pm If you are getting this error the PDF file is here: http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... 152021.pdf

I'm sure they will fix it in a bit though.
Thanks so much!! I knew someone here could help. Crankiness gone!!!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

DrTom wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:01 pm
We yell at each other? 🤔
Well let's just say it is due to our operating systems. We are not using an IOS but rather two IOUS (PRODIGIOUS AND LOQUACIOUS). We are not actually yelling at each other but in our desire to get our point(s) across we sometimes will chime in more loudly so that people are aware we are speaking (actually Joe you are one of the most courteous and one I should emulate, I have even seen you raise your hand and I assume it is not to announce a bathroom break). At any rate she always says that if she is in the living room (my "office" has walls but not the best ones) she feels like she has been on the call. Now in everyone else's defense it it her loudmouth husband that she hears the most - think she'd be used to that by now.....

Brady Zoom 2.jpg
Dr. Tom, that is hilarious! And I can identify each one of those Bradys!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:51 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:01 pm
We yell at each other? 🤔

Brady Zoom 2.jpg
Dr. Tom, that is hilarious! And I can identify each one of those Bradys!
Why Wendy, whatever do you mean???? They were all just random Brady quotes :D

I had a lot of fun doing that. Once again my wife dropped by to ask me about something while I was "doodling" with the picture and asked the question she has soooo many times before; "What are you DOING, or better yet, why are you doing it?"

There will be a special place in heaven for that woman. Matter of fact I am going to go now and make her a cocktail, just to reward her, and redeem myslef.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

THAT was brutal. Toughest puzzle in recent memory, as far as I'm concerned. I NEVER would have gotten it without a kind Muggle, displaying truly superhuman patience, leading me to the answer as I committed one unforced error after another.
Edit: Why, yes, I DID notice that knitting reference in 47A!
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Fri May 14, 2021 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

femullen wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:23 pm
Henry Paul wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:02 pm The Mrs and I are hanging at the bar with Isaac. More than one person needs to rate the meta so that I can either (a) be continued to be depressed that it's a Level 1 and I'm stumped or (b) be encouraged that it's > 1 and therefore I'm supposed to feel depressed 'cuz it's difficult. ;-)
I find these things impossible to rate, and the ratings don't seem to help me at all. Last week's puzzle was apparently "easy peasy:" multiple successful puzzlers said so. But it depended on knowing the name of a movie star, and I don't know movie stars from bus drivers, so to me it was a 5. This week's wasn't obvious, but it was straightforward, so maybe a 2. But then I see Wendy Walker claims to be still scribbling in her notebook, so maybe it's a 4. In my mind they all start as 5s, and most of them stay there.
I am rating this a 5 here on the Muggle Forum AND on the KAS scale.
Zagman49

Post by Zagman49 »

This is my first day as a member of the forum. I still need to familiarize myself with the "ship to shore" argot that's going on, but I've admired Mike Shenk's talent as a cruciverbalist since first encountering his work in the now defunct "GAMES Magazine". I've been taking on this WSJ Friday challenge for some time now, and I thought it was about time to enter the mix with both feet on the ground...or in the sand, as it were. Which is where I guess I find myself, thankfully.
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

We are on shore! True team effort this week. Fun puzzle. Now for a glass of Chardonnay and an iced tea. Happy weekend everyone!