"Following Directions" - May 14, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Made my way to shore last night. Sweet.

As for "dumb instructions", how about "tear across strip to open" paired with "do not use if torn or open"? :lol:
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

“KEEP DOOR CLOSED AT ALL TIMES.”

This one on the door to the school stairwell stymied me at around age 8 when I was late to school.

After pondering, in all earnestness, mindful of the all caps, I took it perhaps too literally obeyed its dictates and went home.
spotter

Post by spotter »

Followed Directions and found a beach!
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

On shore. Tasted a lot of saltwater on the way but made it.
Larrry

Post by Larrry »

DannyWalter wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:33 am
sharkicicles wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:56 pm
MamaE wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:10 pm

That's Larry Bud Melman to you ;)

I miss Dave....at his best he was amazing.
I'm at the age where early Late Night was still a bit over my head, but my parents let me watch it anyway, and Larry Bud Melman, Stupid Pet/Human Tricks, and things getting crushed by a steamroller will always be the foundation of things I find hilarious.
My all time favorite was velcro night. Dave gets into a velcro suit, jumps off a trampoline and THWOCK - he's stuck to the wall. Perhaps the dumbest, greatest thing ever done on TV. I was still laughing after the commercial break. I'm laughing right now at the image of Dave trying to turn his head to the camera to go to commercial.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled struggle with the meta puzzle. Film at eleven.
It was genius. I got to see Larry "Bud" Melman (Calvert DeForest) emcee a "Rising Young Comedian" show in St. Louis in the late 1980s and Im pretty sure the comedians included Jerry Seinfeld, Paul Poundstone, and Wil Shriner. Larry "Bud" Melman was the reason I went and he stole the show.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:36 am Someone on page one said they had seen that only 40 answers had been submitted so far at that point... where are you seeing these stats?
Abide wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:49 pm Just opened but looks like a toughie with only 4 entries in 40 minutes.
Peter's post was the 5th after the Bob's opening, non-entry post, leaving 4 entries before his, which was posted 40+ minutes after the puzzle dropped.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Larrry wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:31 am
DannyWalter wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:33 am
sharkicicles wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:56 pm

I'm at the age where early Late Night was still a bit over my head, but my parents let me watch it anyway, and Larry Bud Melman, Stupid Pet/Human Tricks, and things getting crushed by a steamroller will always be the foundation of things I find hilarious.
My all time favorite was velcro night. Dave gets into a velcro suit, jumps off a trampoline and THWOCK - he's stuck to the wall. Perhaps the dumbest, greatest thing ever done on TV. I was still laughing after the commercial break. I'm laughing right now at the image of Dave trying to turn his head to the camera to go to commercial.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled struggle with the meta puzzle. Film at eleven.
It was genius. I got to see Larry "Bud" Melman (Calvert DeForest) emcee a "Rising Young Comedian" show in St. Louis in the late 1980s and Im pretty sure the comedians included Jerry Seinfeld, Paul Poundstone, and Wil Shriner. Larry "Bud" Melman was the reason I went and he stole the show.
Did he hand out any hot towels?
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Ashore. We had the right idea early on but it took a while to work out the details. Thanks for the fun Mike.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

DrTom wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:58 am :D
sharkicicles wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:17 am
DrTom wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:05 am OK, my weird sense of humor had me chuckling about this for about 70 miles.

We stopped at a rest stop on the way back from the Keys. In the Men's rest room, above and to the left of the hand dryer and sink was this sign:

hands free.jpg

Now surely I cannot be the only one to have ever marveled at the irony of this and the futility of announcing that nothing there needed hands except perhaps to read the sign? I'm not being insensitive mind you, just gobstruck that this was the only information provided. What exactly would you get from reading that sign if you were not sighted?

The only thing that might be less helpful was a similar type sign on the waffle iron at a hotel breakfast that read in English and Braille "DO NOT TOUCH WAFFLE IRON IS VERY HOT" (and I'll bet you somewhere that sign exists!)

What are the dumbest signs people have seen? Given our collective senses of humor there have had to be those that made you go "WHAT"
well, if it was near the urinals, that probably would not have been the cleanest rest stop in the country.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
At the top of the Washington Memorial in DC is a relief of what you are seeing outside the windows, major buildings are labled, and are also written in brail.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Eric Porter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:08 pm
minimuggle wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:31 pm Like others I have figured out the mechanism but I'm getting jibberish :)
Same for me. I'm trying to think of what step I'm missing.
I'm still "floundering"... I guess that means I haven't figured out the mechanism.... Back to the drawing board.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Having a good time with Isaac. I think I'll have a light lunch of prosecco. And some other less important food.

Maybe that will help. Oh, look! A squirrel! Milton is watching them with me.
Rufus T. Firefly
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

WOW... made it to shore (after quite the struggle)! Very impressed with the construction on this one.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

I have an answer that I really, really don’t love. I’ll keep working away at this but that answer will be my Hail Mary if I don’t come up with something that gives me more confidence.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

I'm on the boat and surrounded by rabbits. Guess I'm buying a round of carrot juice for my furry friends.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Ashore. Many many incorrect ideas yesterday. Finally enlightened with morning coffee.

Just in time for MGWCC wk 2.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

hcbirker wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:56 pm I am lost lost lost. Maybe tomorrow after coffee.
That's precisely what did the trick for me.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Oh boy! I thought I already tried that. 🏝
smashburn

Post by smashburn »

Looking for a nudge. My buddy and I do these together, and we have one thin strand we've pulled at... but just not seeing anything else.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Solved.
Kudos to Mike Shenk. That was aah-maz-ing!
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the beach at last! 🏖 Tricky one for me!

My brain hurts...mainly from clenching SO tightly to a nearly but not quite correct idea. Tea 🫖 for now, wine 🍷 later!