"Bit Parts" - May 7, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Mon May 10, 2021 10:54 am WARNING: PEDANTIC NERD WAR UPCOMING!

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup consists of smooth peanut butter cream wrapped in Hershey's chocolate.
Product type: Chocolate
Owner: The Hershey Company
Produced by: The Hershey Company
Introduced: November 15, 1928; 92 years ago
Related brands:
  • Take 5 (candy)
  • Reese's Pieces
  • Reese's Fast Break
  • NutRageous
๐Ÿ˜‹
As a life-long fan of the "Cup", I thought Reese's Pieces were an abomination when they came out. Now, I think that Reese's Ultimate has easily taken the hateful crown. No chocolate??? :shock:
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

CPJohnson wrote: โ†‘Mon May 10, 2021 10:54 am For your amusement, I offer my tortuous path to the answer: I didn't see the relationship between the parenthetical numbers and the word length at first. So, I had comic-hers-po-upon. The, I decided wit would be a better fit, since it was shorter ("bit" in the title). So then I had wit-hers-po-upon. Aha! 2 words, so withers and poupon! Mind racing. Bill Withers? Grey poupon? Isn't poupon French for baby? Baby Ruth? Sugar Babies? But what about Bill? And I haven't used the parenthetical numbers! I finally matched up the word length with the actual words and realized that upon should have been on. Once I saw Witherspoon, I got Reese's Pieces. Whew. :lol:
That is pretty funny! I mean, with WITHERS and POUPON right there, I definitely would've pursued that path too!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Inca wrote: โ†‘Mon May 10, 2021 3:03 am
Scott Lindholm wrote: โ†‘Mon May 10, 2021 12:03 am Back in the day, AOL had a very vibrant trivia board. Scheduled daily games on various themes were held, with a very active and participating crowd. I wrote a couple of those games, and the community was amazing. Scheduled meet-ups occurred around the country, and it was pretty cool.

That was back in the day. This community is as close to anything I've seen like it since...back in the day. It's pretty cool.
I don't remember if it was AOL or not, but I remember being addicted to a game called Word Riot
Pretty sure Word Riot was on POGO. I played in one of the two "expert" rooms and it just got out of hand booting everyone that was unknown.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Slightly off topic, but thereโ€™s a great book about the Mars candy family called The Emperors of Chocolate. Itโ€™s a privately held company (or was) and a fascinating tale of secrecy, intrigue and competition.

This came to mind because my first thought starting the puzzle was, most candy brands (with which I have a - cough - high level of familiarity) are one word: Mars, Hershey, Nestle, Cadbury...
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

hunkra wrote: โ†‘Mon May 10, 2021 11:04 am
Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Mon May 10, 2021 10:54 am WARNING: PEDANTIC NERD WAR UPCOMING!

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup consists of smooth peanut butter cream wrapped in Hershey's chocolate.
Related brands:
  • Take 5 (candy)
  • Reese's Pieces
  • Reese's Fast Break
  • NutRageous
๐Ÿ˜‹
As a life-long fan of the "Cup", I thought Reese's Pieces were an abomination when they came out. Now, I think that Reese's Ultimate has easily taken the hateful crown. No chocolate??? :shock:
Justinโ€™s Dark Chocolate peanut butter cups ... thank me later.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

I *really* wanted to submit this as an answer:

https://wholesaleunlimitedhi.com/products/gummy-bears

My wife must like me being fat. She bought me 30 lbs. of them for my birthday. --- just to get the free shipping.
Rufus T. Firefly
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Tom Shea wrote: โ†‘Mon May 10, 2021 11:59 am I *really* wanted to submit this as an answer:

https://wholesaleunlimitedhi.com/products/gummy-bears

My wife must like me being fat. She bought me 30 lbs. of them for my birthday. --- just to get the free shipping.
Thereโ€™s a gummy bear song for kids, called Im a Gummy Bear. Its on youtube. Kind of catchy actually...
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

hunkra wrote: โ†‘Mon May 10, 2021 11:04 am

๐Ÿ˜‹
As a youngster, I wouldn't touch peanut butter cups. It was all Mallo Cups for me.
Rufus T. Firefly
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

If you want to shuffle me off of this mortal coil & have it be my fault, ship me 30 pounds (22 bags) of

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
anaerobe

Post by anaerobe »

OK, I've waited almost 12 hours:

You know that actress from Legally Blonde....Walk the Line....won an Oscar.......?

Guess how she eats cereal?
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

anaerobe wrote: โ†‘Mon May 10, 2021 12:25 pm OK, I've waited almost 12 hours:

You know that actress from Legally Blonde....Walk the Line....won an Oscar.......?

God, am I a dope! I actually Googled this to get the punch line.

Speaking of how to eat cereal, I once had a breakfast meeting in the UK and a colleague poured orange juice on her cereal to eat it. She didnโ€™t like milk. I was gobsmacked!
TheCatt

Post by TheCatt »

With Mother's Day and out of state visitors, we barely had time for the puzzle. My spouse said "I found the 'bit parts' to make REESES PIECES in the 4 clues," and I said "good enough for me." We debated for a moment about the fact that it was 1 letter too long for the parenthetical numbers, and seemed awfully inelegant, but decided we had no more time to ponder and submitted.
Bill Bovard

Post by Bill Bovard »

Related brands:
  • Take 5 (candy)
  • Reese's Pieces
  • Reese's Fast Break
  • NutRageous
๐Ÿ˜‹
Yes, I would think that Hershey is the company, Reese's is the brand, and Reese's Pieces is a product. But it had to be two words, and Reese's Pieces works so well, and Wikipedia calls it a brand.
hoover

Post by hoover »

SReh26 wrote: โ†‘Mon May 10, 2021 11:44 am Justinโ€™s Dark Chocolate peanut butter cups ... thank me later.
Justin's maple almond butter. You're welcome!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

hoover wrote: โ†‘Mon May 10, 2021 12:50 pm
SReh26 wrote: โ†‘Mon May 10, 2021 11:44 am Justinโ€™s Dark Chocolate peanut butter cups ... thank me later.
Yes, I get Justinโ€™s classic almond butter. Thanks for the tip on the maple!
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

72 A - Try again with, as an Easter egg

This year before Easter I bought some Reece's peanut butter eggs that had mini Reece's pieces inside and they were amazing! It's a good thing they don't make those year round. I've always preferred the eggs to the peanut butter cups.
anaerobe

Post by anaerobe »

mheberlingx100 wrote: โ†‘Mon May 10, 2021 12:42 pm
anaerobe wrote: โ†‘Mon May 10, 2021 12:25 pm OK, I've waited almost 12 hours:

God, am I a dope! I actually Googled this to get the punch line.

Speaking of how to eat cereal, I once had a breakfast meeting in the UK and a colleague poured orange juice on her cereal to eat it. She didnโ€™t like milk. I was gobsmacked!
I can't think of any cereal that sounds good with orange juice!?! I did make a Cap'n Crunch smoothie once, but it did not have orange juice!

And you are very gracious to use the term 'punch line'. It makes it sound like my stupid little post qualifies as an actual joke!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

F4A879AF-79F0-4E9B-A563-612443C446BD.png
Not to change the topic but this was in todayโ€™s paper.
Heidi
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

mheberlingx100 wrote: โ†‘Mon May 10, 2021 12:42 pm
When I was a student in England I was eager to demonstrate that I was open to all new experiences (and trying oh-so-hard not to be an entitled American), so when a hostess offered me lemon or milk in my tea I said with enthusiasm, "Both!" Then I had to keep smiling while sipping the curdled mess.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

SReh26 wrote: โ†‘Mon May 10, 2021 12:54 pm
hoover wrote: โ†‘Mon May 10, 2021 12:50 pm
Yes, I get Justinโ€™s classic almond butter. Thanks for the tip on the maple!
I'll have to try these... you know, just to support small businesses. Personally, I was fairly addicted to Boyer's Smoothies; complete with the redeemable cardboard coins.