"Backcourt Fundamentals" - April 30, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

You're right about "alert", as in "the alert dog barked at every sound".
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

SewYoung wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:21 pm
Franklin.Bluth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:00 pm
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:32 pm Greetings--we had a landslide this week with correct answers from an unusually high 94% of our 1922 entries.
Plus a smattering of other guesses in small lots, including AGILE (3), LARGE (3), POINT (3), SwiSH (3), MEDIA (2), ALERT (2), and many other ones and twos.
Happy May, hope you are enjoying the spring, and congrats to this week's winner: Kena Alderson of Eastborough, Kan.!
Congrats to Kena!

Also...are ALERT, SWISH, POINT, and MEDIA considered adjectives in other dialects of English? Forgive the ignorant question; I'm just a poor ol' southerner...

I'm all for wild guessing, but it should at least fit the most very BASIC parameters :)
I wondered that, too. I, too and a life long southerner, and do not consider those to be adjectives either. Well, alert could be used that way, I guess.
I did not get this meta. After working the grid, I said to myself, "Self, if you don't come up with the actual answer, submit "BASIC" Sunday night. Then I forgot to do it. That was the only five letter answer I could come up with based on "Fundamentals" in the title.
But that was correct!
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

I forgot to mention that this puzzle also made me think of Seinfeld with the 8 across clue
I like a good cheek.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Franklin.Bluth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:00 pm

Congrats to Kena!

Also...are ALERT, SWISH, POINT, and MEDIA considered adjectives in other dialects of English? Forgive the ignorant question; I'm just a poor ol' southerner...

I'm all for wild guessing, but it should at least fit the most very BASIC parameters :)
basic training
point guard
media whore (LOL)
alert parrot
swish(ing) dog's tail
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

I missed this easy one because the first thing I noticed was that in the weird word LARRUPS if you changed the R's to Y you'd have LAYUPS and I just couldn't get past it even though it went nowhere. This kind of thing happens to me with alarming frequency.