"Backcourt Fundamentals" - April 30, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

Ashore. Grid was brutal.
RobM

Post by RobM »

On shore. As I was working the grid, i thought this one was going to be hard, but I was wrong.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

MamaE wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:14 pm
joequavis wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:02 pm
MamaE wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:42 pm Thank goodness, an easy one after a week where I’ve been getting my butt kicked!

Ashore - and hopefully a mojito will help lubricate my brain enough to solve that pesky MEOW puzzle!
I thought I saw your name on the leaderboard, no?

Not for that Lincoln puzzle - nope :( I got crickets
OK my mistake - it was for MMM.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Made it to shore fairly quickly this week. I guess I will have to call it #1 of a new streak, as my answer last week, which I thought was correct, was not the one they were looking for.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Solved with a little headwind on the way to shore.
ajk

Post by ajk »

On the beach, after a small bit of idiocy. Sticking with the maitai so as to leave sufficient julep quantities for those partaking.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

On shore! This one actually didn't strike me as being super obvious. It definitely wasn't my first thought but I knew it when I found it.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Got it, but only after a hint. I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise. Count me pouting in a dingy near shore.
pjc

Post by pjc »

Ashore! What do people recommend at the bar?
boharr

Post by boharr »

Dplass wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:24 pm Got it, but only after a hint. I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise. Count me pouting in a dingy near shore.
Oh pull the damn dingy up on the beach, and I'll buy you a drink.
Inca

Post by Inca »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:01 pm It’s an ominous feeling when I don’t even understand the title, but I somehow managed to notice something that got me off the wrong google page and onto the right one. I’m on shore.
Yeah, I had that same ominous feeling when I didn't understand the title...and it stayed with me even after struggling to fill in the center part of the puzzle full of references that I know nothing about. I will give one more glance at the puzzle which I'm assuming won't help at all and then I'll probably put it away until much later (probably Sunday night) to give another look to see if anything pops up. I find that staring at the puzzle really doesn't work for me.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

On the beach. I needed a nap after completing the grid, before I could make the swim to shore. I believe we’ve seen this mechanism before, but not in a long time.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Ashore. Unlike last week, I took some time to work through this one logically, and I'm confident in my submission. Vodka gimlet, please.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:50 pm Relieved to be on the beach. Sports two weeks in a row plus superheroes in MMM?! Next week I want gardening, grammar, Lord Peter Wimsey, cookie baking, and knitting, please!
Grammar, Lord Peter Wimsey, AND knitting?! Where have you been all my life???
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Georgeall

Post by Georgeall »

I'm ashore.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Had to Google a word we had never heard of. And that word turned it to be the key to finding the mechanism.
On shore.

And yes, for us the grid was not easy
Last edited by TeamDoubleTow on Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Solved in 15 minutes. 🏖
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

On shore.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:50 pm Relieved to be on the beach. Sports two weeks in a row plus superheroes in MMM?! Next week I want gardening, grammar, Lord Peter Wimsey, cookie baking, and knitting, please!
MamaE wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:44 pm Agreed! Mysteries, knitting, British authors, classic rock!
TeaJenny wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:04 pm Grammar, Lord Peter Wimsey, AND knitting?! Where have you been all my life???
A knitting meta! I love it. Now how could that work... OK, can't do a full puzzle but how about...

The answer to this contest is a 4 letter word.
Four theme entries, 10 letters each. Clues are:

# Feline flyer
# Use a bread machine
# Super cute Australian/Chinese hybrid
# Dried fruit on a stick

Theme answers are

KITTYPILOT
POWERKNEAD
KOALAPANDA
PRUNEKABOB

Would be super easy for the knitters and require some uninteresting googling for the rest.
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Ashore!

When you see them, you see them... and when you don't.....

Rita and George