"This, That, and The Other Thing" - April 23, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Wow I really enjoyed this one. Ashore!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

On shore--I think? I got the first step or two without any trouBLe, but I lACK the confirmation that I seek--which seems to make me part of the CROWd! I've donNED my thinking cap. Maybe I need a NIGHTcap instead. WhetHER my answer is right or wrONg, this was certainly a clever mechanism.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

I am in that same state - about to submit, 95% sure it is correct...but definitely not a super hard click on the last step. Also see some other items in the puzzle that may point to confirmation of my answer, but we shall see.

It's cold and windy here in Maryland, so I think I'll have an irish coffee with homemade whipped cream ;)
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:23 pm Well I sent in the one that I think best fits. Is it right? The waiting begins... I'll have a Guinness in the meantime.
My pal Al, did you not get Wendy’s memo about Page One Encroachment? :D You only need one of those coveted 20 slots to announce you’re ashore. Taking a second slot is a Guinness menace...
ericharrison1969

Post by ericharrison1969 »

Yeah, it’s a bit of a leap, but that’s the Gaffer for you. If you think about all the Gaffney meta puzzles you’ve done in the past, it gels into a 100%er.
STL-D

Post by STL-D »

Another great Gaffney..... Like others, I picked what seems to be the likely answer. Maybe even hinted elsewhere. Think I'll back off the hard stuff (for a round or two) and go with a Chalk Hill chardonnay. Enjoy!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

yourpalsal wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:52 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:23 pm Well I sent in the one that I think best fits. Is it right? The waiting begins... I'll have a Guinness in the meantime.
My pal Al, did you not get Wendy’s memo about Page One Encroachment? :D You only need one of those coveted 20 slots to announce you’re ashore. Taking a second slot is a Guinness menace...
And you just KNOW he did it deliberately.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

A methodical and successful swim to shore! Very nice work by Matt.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Like almost everyone else who has posted, I believe I'm ashore (call it 92.67%). I just wish there was a smidge more confirmation. Nonetheless, I'm ordering a G&T and calling it solved.
Matthew
LesY

Post by LesY »

Ashore! I enjoy the ones where you know you’ll get it, just with a little work.

Thanks Matt and please don’t crush us too hard tomorrow with Week 4!
markhr

Post by markhr »

Well, a 98-percent click is good enough for me.
It certainly looks like the right shore.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

I finished the grid, but off to a cigar bar to try out my latest purchase (can't wait!).

Anyway, I know you all have noticed that this Saturday is my 1-year anniversary as a Muggle, but PLEASE don't get me anything . . . really.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Like others, I think I’m on shore...not as clean as other gaffneys, I’d say...
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:11 pm
BethA wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:10 pm @Wendy Walker and what is that with the glowing eyes behind the raccoons??
Just an artifact of the camera, sorry to say.
I have to disagree, Wendy — if I’m not mistaken, that’s a lookout raccoon hiding in the grass making sure the barn cat doesn’t pull any mischief. He’s camouflaged and ready to spring into action should the need arise!
RobM

Post by RobM »

Stared at it for a while, but after a bit the penny dropped and everything came together. Curious to hear on Monday what the second solution that previous posters found is; I only found one. Straightforward grid, fun meta.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

On the beach! That makes 50 consecutive meta solves. Hope the next two are not too hard, and I can make it to a full year.

To borrow mheberlingx100's metaphor, I was on 'the 5-yard line' for quite some time as well before getting the ball over the goal line.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:59 pm
yourpalsal wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:52 pm
And you just KNOW he did it deliberately.
It took remarkable self-restraint on my part to not chide him for it when there were still single digit posts on page one.

...but I'll buy him a Guinness or three if he did do it deliberately.
Rufus T. Firefly
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

cbarbee002 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:19 pm I finished the grid, but off to a cigar bar to try out my latest purchase (can't wait!).

Anyway, I know you all have noticed that this Saturday is my 1-year anniversary as a Muggle, but PLEASE don't get me anything . . . really.
Oh. I was going to give you the mug I won this week. (Pleasepleasepleaseplease) But since you insist on no presents... I'll keep it.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

On shore, I'm pretty sure! I really liked the process for this one, but like others I don't feel 100% about the result. But 98% is close enough for me :-)