"This, That, and The Other Thing" - April 23, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Brilliant puzzle. Like others not 100%, but given that others also do not feel 100%, that actually makes me feel 100%.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

31 Down wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:48 pm I haven't posted in ages. Since my last post, the muggle force has multiplied pandemically. Enough to populate a small city. Props to Bob and Brian for enabling chronic cruciverbaholics.

If you get the mechanism of this meta, I think there's only one reasonable answer so I consider it a 100%er. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my hat. BTW, that's not the solution.
"Cruciverbaholics." Love it!
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:39 pm
Cosmo wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:53 am
Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:18 am Cosmo, when you saw the puzzle title, did your mind go straight to the "Seinfeld" episode where that saying was used? Mine did!
Yes that's exactly where I went as well! :lol:
It's certainly where I went. And at the end of that episode, Elaine uses the whole title phrase as a punchline.

And if you play the final part of the episode backwards at 1.5x speed, you hear words that are homonyms of Latin words which anagram to the answer to the meta-puzzle!*

*Not remotely true**

**Or, if it is... I knew that. :roll:
So, I kept filling, and filling and yadda, yadda, yadda I no longer had a square to spare! I took Matt's instructions to heart and kept repeating "Tom, FOUR!" So I stopped and had breakfast (a slice of marble rye and a black and white cookie - very starchy I know, not that there is anything wrong with that) and was afraid for a while it would be "no solution for you". But I got a course correction from a kind Muggle and then proceeded to go for the very solve worthy answer, which I think is a real BINGO (though to be truthful bingo hates me lately).

When this is all over I have a delicious story of a mechanism and solution that was 100% defendable, though 100% incorrect. It is a s twisted a tale as any Seinfeld episode and the answer may well have one time been owned by Jon Voight.

By the way, what happened to the MGWCC - shrinkage?

(Oh, and correction, playing the final episode backwards reveal it says "Paul is a dead man, miss him, miss him, miss him")
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I've been chasing rabbits for the last two days. I keep coming back here for inspiration. Now I've revectored my energy in hopes of finding any solution, 85%, 90%, whatever. But it keeps slipping away, like when you used to tune your old TV set but it would never quite come into focus.
Freddy Law

Post by Freddy Law »

Ashore. Had to think about it for a bit but glad I can relax for the weekend. :ugeek:
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

I am solidly with Isaac for the foreseeable future. I'm losing hope with so many saying that they were only 85% sure of the solution, but I'll keep muggling away at it as Isaac pours.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

Ashore. Thanks to Wendy for telling me I was already at the surf line, and DannyWalter for letting me know those weren’t rabbit trails.
boneskull

Post by boneskull »

completely forgot to post about it but have been ashore for some time now
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Ashore! Ha!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I’m still sitting with Isaac. Just not seeing anything.
LaPetiteFlora

Post by LaPetiteFlora »

Ashore! Really enjoyed the meta this week - an impressive showing, Matt!
ChrisWill

Post by ChrisWill »

The wife and I have been staring at it for hours, digging into one option after another, and I’m confident we’re going to be chilling with Isaac for a while. Who knows? Maybe some random inspiration will come at some point over the weekend.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Ahhh, post enlightenment! What I thought were red herrings turned out to be real clues. I see the quandary that there’s not a hard click. No matter, I am calling myself ashore, and enjoying a nice cappuccino now, looking forward to some wine later. On to MGWCC.
Richard

Post by Richard »

My old eyes did not see the something at [oops!] so I struggled.

On shore now.

Like others highly confident and while not 100% would be surprised if not right. I do see another possibility.
Pembroke

Post by Pembroke »

Been struggling over two viable options, but now 100% sure.

On shore!
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Ashore just before bedtime last night, joining the throng at the tiki bar where the line is long because no one seems sure what drink to order (they're staring at the chalkboard menu muttering, "This...? or that...? or the other one...?"). I submitted my answer, for which I have no clear confirmation but which seems right to me, and I look forward to Monday's posts about all the possible paths and permutations.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

STILL ON THE SHIP
.....Hey, Isaac, what's up? -- Usually your clientele is of a much higher caliber then these sketchy characters I'm hanging with --- they've been trying to talk me into coming back to their place --
Capturebunnybar2.JPG
I'm headed out in a short while for one of our Block Island weeks, and since we'll be having company there the next few days, I'll probably just bow out this go-round. I'll be on my own "happy place" island anyway, and because of all the "uncertainty" percentages (and I don't do numbers! :D ) my 40A's not so super into it this week.
See you in the funny papers --
Crest

Post by Crest »

Ashore, but agree with other posters that it feels a bit uncertain.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning muggles.

The MG enigma continues with many either unsure on shore, anxious on ship or somewhere in between.

And we welcome several new muggles - Freddy Law, subtly, SamanthaA and fcr942 - always great to have more muggles.

We have 23 on the ship and 138 on the shore. The statistics should be interesting this week

On the ship with Isaac are
TPS
cbarbee
Nalugirl
minimuggle
Annabelle
femullen
jhseeman
SewYoung
MaineMarge
agatha
periperi
lbary
PQ63
Susan G
CPJohnson
iggystan
sphorning
fcr942
rosiegirl
joes
Jennifer
Fishoutowater
whimsy

While on the shore are

C=64
NuYear68
Beth A
joequavis
Scott M
Kay
Heidi
Wendy
Dannyvee
michaelm
Richard
Glyn
Anita
docison
subtly
SamanthaA
Mike H
sanmilton
oldjudge
stmv
Eric P
Joe R
mattythewsjpuzzler
JimJim
Cindy
bskptkl
yourpalsal
Schmeel
ajk
mheverson
Seadub
RobM
Jordanian
David Wi
Jace54
MamaE
Andrew B
Tina
ladybird
Jean
MatthewL
Laura
Les
eric h
markhr
Meg
Jim and Anita
dplass
boharr
Dan A
Chris
Omnibus
MajorDomoTom
Miki
Georgeall
TeamDoubleTow
TeaJenny
kdubs
Barbara K
Bird Lives
David K
Dave C
BrennerTJ
dudeski
HeadinHome
Cosmo
EmilyW
escapeartist
Kas
Fred
copperriver
DannyWalter
ky-mike
hunkra
Lacangah
Steveb
seahawks seashanty
jimmyd
meowmiao71
Bonnibel
RDaleHall
fuggedabowdit
Homer
Mary F
Joepickett
joe
sharkicicles
Hidden in 3D
Peter
Alan H
Inca
DCBilly
Doc
Franklin
Big Mac
Debbie
M and M
Patty
Beth T
MikeM000
Beth C
Ed S
KscX
sf592000
Geezer Weezer
Ergcat
edot
Guy L
wb93
jrdad
ImOnToo
JaneGummy
SReh26
Kris Zacharias
Harbo
31 Down
Doug C
Carolyn
samandcam
SusieG
scraps
Cindy N
boneskull
DrTom
JeanneC
Ann
ChrisWill
HunterX
Rita and George
Peter L
zacmoretz
LaPetiteFlora
Paul Olmsted
Freddy Law
Gman
eagle1279
Pembroke
Crest

Good luck to all and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ChrisWill

Post by ChrisWill »

Bob gave us credit a bit early (probably due to my poor attempt to describe our status), but thanks to a brilliant code-cracking from my significant other, we are now officially on shore. Looking forward to seeing everyone’s thought processes and where some of the ambiguity came from.