"Swap Meet" - April 16, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Locked
User avatar
hcbirker
Posts: 993
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:24 pm
Location: Studio City, CA

#361

Post by hcbirker »

So now we have TeaJenny in the the punster crowd. We'll be Sorry!
Heidi
periperi
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:51 pm

#362

Post by periperi »

Also stuck, probably where everyone else was -- step 1 came easily, but what to do from there is eluding me. would not say no to a eleventh hour nudge. (EDIT: ashore -- a nudge told me I was already doing the right thing, but I just needed to reorganize it. Thanks!)
Last edited by periperi on Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Jeremy Smith
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:45 pm
Location: Tampa Bay area

#363

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Guess I’ll be at the bar with Isaac til midnight. I got the first step easily, but then ran into the cursed parenthetical numbers. Oh well!
User avatar
hcbirker
Posts: 993
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:24 pm
Location: Studio City, CA

#364

Post by hcbirker »

969EB47F-420C-450F-906A-D081B9C04331.jpeg
Take that you punsters!
Heidi
User avatar
HunterX
Posts: 339
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:17 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

#365

Post by HunterX »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:24 pm Take that you punsters!
She found our sacred text! She must be burned at the steak! (Which is a rare occurrence since the days of Sir Loin.)
rosiegirl
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:26 pm

#366

Post by rosiegirl »

Close to the eleventh hour and still stuck...Guess I will just be at sea until next week.
zacmoretz
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:50 pm

#367

Post by zacmoretz »

Still asea. Maybe next week.
User avatar
TeaJenny
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:44 am

#368

Post by TeaJenny »

HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:26 pm
hcbirker wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:24 pm Take that you punsters!
She found our sacred text! She must be burned at the steak! (Which is a rare occurrence since the days of Sir Loin.)
Let the pun-ishment fit the crime.
User avatar
Tom Shea
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:37 am
Location: Freedonia, NH/VT/HI/Sydney/Earth

#369

Post by Tom Shea »

TeaJenny wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:40 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:26 pm
hcbirker wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:24 pm Take that you punsters!
She found our sacred text! She must be burned at the steak! (Which is a rare occurrence since the days of Sir Loin.)
Let the pun-ishment fit the crime.
Rufus T. Firefly
User avatar
DrTom
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:46 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

#370

Post by DrTom »

TeaJenny wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:18 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:45 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:36 pm

And..... he's back!
You certainly didn't think I was going to let you guys have all the fun.....
I know you mint well, but I have the Sencha that your efforts to sink my Battleship will not have the Mass Effect you intended. Rather than sit here Whist-fully simmering in Solitairey silence, I shall Roulette tomorrow morning to enjoy a hearty English Breakfast with Earl Grey after walking my dog Bingo. It may take a while to get there, as it can be difficult to navigate all of the Chutes and Ladders, but I have the Patience to Pictionary thing that may Go wrong along the way and plan accordingly.
Well if it is cold when you go out to walk Bingo be sure to wear your Pekoe because though it may be good exercise, getting a cold is no Trivial Pursuit. I’d also make sure to wear something noticeable like a yellow or Euchre colored hat. I happen to know a place that sells them, its a small store usually specializing in NASA items and is called the Merchant of Venus. It is just over the Bridge in Tampa. They also serve hot beverages and if you can get your dog or dromedary to walk that far (it is a camel mile) I think it is one of the 7 Wonders and always induces a state of Euphoria. Their best tea, as they will tell you, tis Anne's, and although some places will serve a puer version, they will matcha dollar for dollar if you can buy a better one than theirs. Oh, and if you go, check out their greeting card section because they have any number of different cards for and against humanity.
NUDGES! If you see that I have solved, feel free to PM me, along with what you have done so far, and I'll be happy to nudge you onto the right track.

This is a community, feel welcome, and never feel uncomfortable asking a question.
User avatar
DrTom
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:46 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

#371

Post by DrTom »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:02 pm
TeaJenny wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:40 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:26 pm

She found our sacred text! She must be burned at the steak! (Which is a rare occurrence since the days of Sir Loin.)
Let the pun-ishment fit the crime.
Well done!
NUDGES! If you see that I have solved, feel free to PM me, along with what you have done so far, and I'll be happy to nudge you onto the right track.

This is a community, feel welcome, and never feel uncomfortable asking a question.
User avatar
DrTom
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:46 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

#372

Post by DrTom »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:24 pm 969EB47F-420C-450F-906A-D081B9C04331.jpeg

Take that you punsters!
Why did the Gastroenterologist stop using bolts during surgery - he found it gut wrenching!

Why didn't the author like having to park his RV at the far end of the campground? It was past tents.

Why didn't the the family put up a "Lost" sign when Rover disappeared? Because it was too doggone good without him.

Why did the Scotsman stop researching his lineage? He got kilt.

How did the scuba diver know when he was getting near the nudist colony? He could sea bottom.

Did you hear about the piece of gauze that got a job helping out an orchestra? He told the interviewer he was a band aid.

Know what happened to the drunk who was flinging pastry into the wind? He got pie eyed.

What was the name of the girl the guy with the wooden leg married? Peg.

Did you hear about the heavy guy who fell while attempting an intricate skiing maneuver? Sure he didn't succeed, but he left quite an impression.

What city was the garden elf from? Nome.


OK, here you go, I did these without even invoking anything rude, medical or sacrilegious. But I'll stop before I am accused of puntificating.
NUDGES! If you see that I have solved, feel free to PM me, along with what you have done so far, and I'll be happy to nudge you onto the right track.

This is a community, feel welcome, and never feel uncomfortable asking a question.
User avatar
Mulligan
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:04 pm

#373

Post by Mulligan »

Finally ashore after a friendly muggle threw me a heavy tow rope! I need to clear my weekend calendar so I have more time to ponder these puzzles earlier.

Cheers all!
michaelm
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:21 pm

#374

Post by michaelm »

DrTom wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:53 pm
hcbirker wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:24 pm 969EB47F-420C-450F-906A-D081B9C04331.jpeg

Take that you punsters!
Why did the Gastroenterologist stop using bolts during surgery - he found it gut wrenching!

Why didn't the author like having to park his RV at the far end of the campground? It was past tents.

Why didn't the the family put up a "Lost" sign when Rover disappeared? Because it was too doggone good without him.

Why did the Scotsman stop researching his lineage? He got kilt.

How did the scuba diver know when he was getting near the nudist colony? He could sea bottom.

Did you hear about the piece of gauze that got a job helping out an orchestra? He told the interviewer he was a band aid.

Know what happened to the drunk who was flinging pastry into the wind? He got pie eyed.

What was the name of the girl the guy with the wooden leg married? Peg.

Did you hear about the heavy guy who fell while attempting an intricate skiing maneuver? Sure he didn't succeed, but he left quite an impression.

What city was the garden elf from? Nome.


OK, here you go, I did these without even invoking anything rude, medical or sacrilegious. But I'll stop before I am accused of puntificating.
Thanks for replunishing the list
User avatar
Joe Ross
Moderator
Posts: 1916
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#375

Post by Joe Ross »

20210416 WSJCC Swap Meet.png
User avatar
Joe Ross
Moderator
Posts: 1916
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#376

Post by Joe Ross »

Swap Meet solution JPR.png
20210416 WSJCC Swap Meet highlighted.png
User avatar
MajordomoTom
Posts: 884
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:09 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

#377

Post by MajordomoTom »

Yep, DEAL with it.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
User avatar
DrTom
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:46 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

#378

Post by DrTom »

Sorry HAD to share....
Uranus name change.jpg
NUDGES! If you see that I have solved, feel free to PM me, along with what you have done so far, and I'll be happy to nudge you onto the right track.

This is a community, feel welcome, and never feel uncomfortable asking a question.
User avatar
hcbirker
Posts: 993
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:24 pm
Location: Studio City, CA

#379

Post by hcbirker »

My Checkered past has left me Scrabbling for answers.
Heidi
User avatar
mikeB
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:50 pm

#380

Post by mikeB »

BREAD AND VINEGAR?
Locked