"Swap Meet" - April 16, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Tom Shea wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:19 pm Added note for the vaccine tally: the missus and I both got the J&J before it was pulled. Other than what could be hangover symptoms, no after effects. n.b., 6 incidents out of almost 7 million doses for the J&J vaccine. Glad we got it just before it was pulled. Saved another stick and the logistical gymnastics to get it.
Yes, the risk is extremely low, in terms of the percentage of recipients who have received the J&J shot. Many medications have far greater risks. Unfortunately, the repercussions of being one of the tiny number who have the clotting issue can be quite severe. So it is good they are temporarily halting its use. Hopefully they will bring it back soon.

I lucked out due to the news. Philly offered me an appointment at the FEMA site here a few days before the news broke, but I did not take one, because they were only offering J&J. (Holding out for Pfizer/Moderna.) Then Tuesday, just after J&J was pulled, they offered me an appointment for Wednesday with the Pfizer! I took it. I cancelled the appointment I had previously set up for next week in Lancaster (1.5 hour drive away on a workday). So this made it MUCH easier for me!

And while there, I asked and found out they were taking walk-ins. So I called my fiancée and had her come down immediately. It was a happy day. And one of great relief after spending countless hours trying to find an appointment. We'd wait until midnight, or get up before 6am, for CVS to open up a new batch of appointments.
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

I finally made it to shore after seeing the full scope of the meta. Parentheses are usually my downfall. Very clever.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:59 pm Good afternoon muggles

And we have 24 on the ship and 161 on the shore

and the latest on the shore are...
You might have missed me. Post number 257
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Woo Hoo! On shore! 🏝
Konnie
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

I've been propping up the ship's bar so long that Isaac is threatening to cut me off and throw me overboard.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:55 pm I just started getting error messages when I respond to PM's. Is anyone else seeing this
My guess is it's certain characters or combinations, Bob. Minus signs & parentheses seem to clog the editor.

I had a long PM written and didn't want to scrap it. I deleted the first sentence, then Previewed (It won't Preview if it has an issue). When successful with the sentence, I pasted it back, then worked my way through, sentence by sentence, until I found what was causing the problem.

If you narrow down specific characters or character combinations that are refused, please post them to the FAQs - Technical, Characters causing issues with Private Messages
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:59 pm Good afternoon muggles

First we welcome out newest muggle - Collegetowngirl

And we have 24 on the ship and 161 on the shore

And a lot of activity so some of our ship's muggles may have made it to the shore

The latest new ship muggles are
I too claimed a spot on the beach 🏖 in post #298 even if ineligible for a Muggle award.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:35 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:55 pm I just started getting error messages when I respond to PM's. Is anyone else seeing this
My guess is it's certain characters or combinations, Bob. Minus signs & parentheses seem to clog the editor.

I had a long PM written and didn't want to scrap it. I deleted the first sentence, then Previewed (It won't Preview if it has an issue). When successful with the sentence, I pasted it back, then worked my way through, sentence by sentence, until I found what was causing the problem.

If you narrow down specific characters or character combinations that are refused, please post them to the FAQs - Technical, Characters causing issues with Private Messages
Thanks. I finally got the PM to go. I am not sure what the problem was as it was only text.

Maybe we should hire a fictional detective
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
hissongcle

Post by hissongcle »

On shore.

As usual, I got the grid quickly, but mulled over the meta for a long while. I finally saw glimmers of the light early Sunday afternoon, after chasing down seven false trails.

I continue to be amazed at the ingenuity of the creators of these puzzles.

Thanks for an enjoyable challenge!
beccacollins

Post by beccacollins »

I didn't get an error message but my messages sat in my "outbox" for quite awhile before showing up in "sent." I had to resend one of them.
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

Last week, I had the meta but (1) had one character in the wrong play, (2) missed the first word in a play's title and (3) found the wrong character--and thus the wrong play--in an entry. This week, I can't figure out the meta. Especially when it has to be something that can be expressed in a few words in the solution on Monday. Perhaps Isaac will be able to help . . . .
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

beccacollins wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:58 pmI didn't get an error message but my messages sat in my "outbox" for quite awhile before showing up in "sent." I had to resend one of them.
Private Messages remain in your Outbox until opened by the recipient, at which time they are moved to your Sent Items. While in your Outbox (i.e., prior to being read), PMs can be edited or deleted.
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

I got the first couple of steps but am stymied by the numbers. I'll take a nudge if anyone is so inclined.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:59 pm The latest new ship muggles are...
Tom S
I have left Isaac and retain all my chips, happily on shore. I passed on the brandy because it was a bit 'off'.
Last edited by Tom Shea on Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rufus T. Firefly
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Ashore.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the great Patrick Berry!
NuYear68

Post by NuYear68 »

Well it seems like I will remain onboard with Isaac and my fellow stymied Muggles, unless my Eureka moment comes to me while I'm coaching my son's hockey team this evening.

Stay well!
Paul
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:36 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:59 pm The latest new ship muggles are...
Tom S
I have left Isaac and retain all my chips, happily on shore. I passed on the brandy because it was a bit 'off'.
Retained all your chips, perhaps. But have you checked your marbles...?
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:55 pm
Tom S
I lost my marbles many decades ago. Not so bad, though. Their rattling around was so loud, I couldn't hear the voices in my head.
Rufus T. Firefly
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:07 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:55 pm

I lost my marbles many decades ago. Not so bad, though. Their rattling around was so loud, I couldn't hear the voices in my head.
Then perhaps we will meet some day at the tiddlywinks table. I doubt you will be so fortunate then.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

I'm still on the boat, can someone pm me to see if I'm on the right track or down a rabbit hole?