"Swap Meet" - April 16, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Count me among the beach people.
Jack Sullivan
ajk

Post by ajk »

OK, finally figured out that there was another permutation of what I was already trying to do with the numbers that was the correct one. :lol:

See ya later Isaac, time for some maitais on the beach.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore!
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I am safely on shore...
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

yourpalsal wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:46 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:47 pm Haven't started it yet, but pretty sure the answer is not "Howzit, Bruddah!"

https://alohastadium.hawaii.gov/aloha-s ... rketplace/
With respect, and per our muggle meetup last Tuesday, it’s generally best to avoid a POE - Page One Encroachment. Let’s save interesting discussion topics like this for Page Two and beyond in a Friday puzzle forum, lest we incur the wrath of Wendy and other muggles working feverishly to attain Page One status. Note that there are only 20 slots on Page One, and one of them is the puzzle itself, leaving only 19 coveted places each week. :D
I blaim a poor upbringing.

1) I didn't notice and I was headed to lunch.
2) it would be then ONLY way I ever get on page one.
3) I'll go stand in the corner for a time-out.

Apologies to anyone that was encroached.
Rufus T. Firefly
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Ashore; the numbers slowed me down a bit but the whole puzzle took roughly 20 minutes.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Was not an easy swim for me this week, but finally figured it out and made it to shore. Perhaps it is because, although I live in the middle of swap meet country (Southern California), I have never been to one.

I also enjoyed Patrick Berry's puzzle suite a few weeks ago, Very fun!
steveb

Post by steveb »

On shore. Since I am away from home (visiting our 3-day-old grandson - and, oh yeah, his parents and older sister) and without a printer, I used the Excel template for the first time. I may never go back to paper!
Miki

Post by Miki »

On shore

Something I say every Thursday: " These puzzle creators are brilliant"
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Finally ashore. I got distracted by a yard sale and an estate sale on my way to the swap meet. Fun meta, Patrick.
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Still on the ship, I think I see the first step in the meta mechanism or maybe I’ve stumbled onto a later step. Another Manhattan, Isaac!
TPS

Post by TPS »

With respect, and per our muggle meetup last Tuesday, it’s generally best to avoid a POE - Page One Encroachment. Let’s save interesting discussion topics like this for Page Two and beyond in a Friday puzzle forum, lest we incur the wrath of Wendy and other muggles working feverishly to attain Page One status. Note that there are only 20 slots on Page One, and one of them is the puzzle itself, leaving only 19 coveted places each week. :D
It is news to me that this is even a thing and I’ve been on this board now for a year. I’m not complaining about it but if this is indeed a thing it might be good to make it more visible - I’m not sure how but maybe at least include that rule w/ the puzzle post.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Eric Porter wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:59 pm On shore. While this one has the dreaded numbers in parentheses, it's not so bad. I like how this crossword was done.

I only recently started watching Game of Thrones, which is is mentioned in 43A. Glancing at 15A & 18A you come close to the name of another house.
Fasten your seatbelt!
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Ashore, enjoying a glass of chardonnay! Good luck Muggles. Clever meta...
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

And here is my picture from the wilds of Lafayette. Our son and wife left their bikes on their covered balcony all winter. My son made the mistake of leaving his bike helmet out there. Now there is a nest with 2 Mourning Dove eggs!
Resized_20210407_203134.jpeg
BethA

Post by BethA »

Tom Shea wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:14 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:47 pm Haven't started it yet, but pretty sure the answer is not "Howzit, Bruddah!"

https://alohastadium.hawaii.gov/aloha-s ... rketplace/
I blaim a poor upbringing.

1) I didn't notice and I was headed to lunch.
2) it would be then ONLY way I ever get on page one.
3) I'll go stand in the corner for a time-out.

Apologies to anyone that was encroached.
I think that would be post #21 - Larrry.

I’m not sure many people realize(d) it was a thing though! 😀
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I think the Page One wrath discussion was half in jest. Of course, there's also the other half.
Jay
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:56 pm

It is news to me that this is even a thing and I’ve been on this board now for a year. I’m not complaining about it but if this is indeed a thing it might be good to make it more visible - I’m not sure how but maybe at least include that rule w/ the puzzle post.
I'm not a zoomer, so I don't really know, but I that sounded to me like an inside joke from Tuesday night's zoom call.
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Step one came quickly, but these dreaded parentheses have me calling for Isaac...
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are in the sand...............life's good! Luck to all.