"Swap Meet" - April 16, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
John77

Post by John77 »

I don't feel too bad not getting this one. It was way too much like work.

Very nice design, though.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

DrTom wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:06 am Loved this meta (well mainly because I got it) but I have to admit I tried LOTS of combinations of what the numbers might stand for before finally hitting the magic formula. I had the alternate "phrases" early but it was quite some time before i arrived at the "deal", Monty Hall would be proud.
I put the cart before the horse and spent way too much time playing around with various letter/number combinations before I caught on to the alternate phrases. Once I found those, everything clicked.

At the Risk of starting a War, I tip both my hat and my teacup to a fellow punster. Very well played, sir. Clever word play has always been one of my favorite things. Probably the result of watching too many Marx Brothers movies as a kid.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

whimsy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:36 am
DrTom wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:44 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:22 pm

"Calling Dr. Tom... Calling Dr. Tom... You're needed in the Muggles wing, STAT!"
Here as paged! I was playing Hide and Seek with a drug rep....... Plus I was also busy trying to counsel a patient with bladder control issues, seems he cannot always control his elimination and sometimes manages to wet his hand, he called it his pee knuckle.....
To paraphrase Sam Cooke -- Don't know much about urology, but in my amateur opinion, this could be a symptom of the problematic results of holding back too long......
Judging from post 370 followed quickly by post 372, I'd say those flood gates opened wide!

Hey, I love a good pun-pot-shot (and not just on 4/20) as much as the next guy (okay, more), but when the pun-typhoon hits... RUN FOR THE HILLS!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

I loved this meta too. Finding the replacement words for the second word of each phrase was fun. Then realizing you could do it for ALL of the words made it more fun.

My only quibble was the numbers. I've got nothing against numbers, per se, mind you. It's just that it adds a little inelegance, albeit probably necessary with this particular meta. It's always great when the mechanism extends itself into the words you find, instead of just basically giving you which letter to use. Though I can't imagine a construction like this, with 8 substitute phrases-and-words, that you could do without the help of the numbers!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

WSJ 4-16 850.jpg
Jay
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:14 pm WSJ 4-16 850.jpg
Nice! Even when looking at the solution, I still have trouble seeing it :-). Glad I didn't spend too much time working on the meta and enjoyed Isaac's company.
Kevin
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

My hang up was that I saw way more alternatives (probably nonsense if said them out loud), and then thought the SWAPS would MEET - meaning the meta would be composed of where the words intersected. Once I went back to only having one alternative, it worked perfectly. Very fun.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Seeing VINEGAR right smack dab in the middle was what got me started on my way.
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

Whimsy, me too. A constructor like PB doesn't put a word in the center like that and not have it mean something; like Chekhov's gun.
boharr

Post by boharr »

whimsy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:04 pm Seeing VINEGAR right smack dab in the middle was what got me started on my way.
Funny. I had all the others before I slapped my head and saw VINEGAR right in front of my eyes.
TPS

Post by TPS »

whimsy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:04 pm Seeing VINEGAR right smack dab in the middle was what got me started on my way.
Same...And I’d be willing to bet that if the middle clue hadn’t been one of the swaps I wouldn’t have solved this puzzle.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Given that each of the theme answers was x AND y, I thought it was a bit of a cruel rabbit hole to have two identical clues of trials AND tribulations. I, too, wandered down a few numerical rabbit holes until the word VINEGAR clicked.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Oh hi, Isaac.

Yep. Me again.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:00 pm LINK to Tuesday Night Muggle Zoom Meeting, starting at 7:30 PM ET, 4:30 PM PT

If pw needed, use muggle
Any chance we can put that link in our calendar?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:50 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:00 pm LINK to Tuesday Night Muggle Zoom Meeting, starting at 7:30 PM ET, 4:30 PM PT

If pw needed, use muggle
Any chance we can put that link in our calendar?
Excellent idea!
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

SusieG wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:54 pm My hang up was that I saw way more alternatives (probably nonsense if said them out loud), and then thought the SWAPS would MEET - meaning the meta would be composed of where the words intersected. Once I went back to only having one alternative, it worked perfectly. Very fun.
Similarly I was hung up for way too long with the notion that something needed to MEET and noticed that there is a 5 letter section in the grid where 16A and 20A MEET and the same for 56A and 65A. The fact none of the parenthetical numbers was greater than 5 seemed confirmation that the mechanism involved SWAPPING letters between or within the two abutting sections. After trying every possible permutation of that MEET SWAP and getting only gibberish, I was at a loss. It was only when Wendy Walker nudged me out of that rabbit hole that I was able to see the much simpler word swap that was necessary for the solution.

There lies my beef with this otherwise very clever puzzle. We are so often reminded of the importance of the title when solving the meta yet a full 50% of this title was a misleading red herring. I fail to see any significance of the word MEET. I would have preferred the title STOCK EXCHANGE making reference to the exchange of words in the stock phrases used in the mechanism.

Just my halfpenny’s worth.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Limerick Savant wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:06 am
SusieG wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:54 pm My hang up was that I saw way more alternatives (probably nonsense if said them out loud), and then thought the SWAPS would MEET - meaning the meta would be composed of where the words intersected. Once I went back to only having one alternative, it worked perfectly. Very fun.
Similarly I was hung up for way too long with the notion that something needed to MEET and noticed that there is a 5 letter section in the grid where 16A and 20A MEET and the same for 56A and 65A. The fact none of the parenthetical numbers was greater than 5 seemed confirmation that the mechanism involved SWAPPING letters between or within the two abutting sections. After trying every possible permutation of that MEET SWAP and getting only gibberish, I was at a loss. It was only when Wendy Walker nudged me out of that rabbit hole that I was able to see the much simpler word swap that was necessary for the solution.

There lies my beef with this otherwise very clever puzzle. We are so often reminded of the importance of the title when solving the meta yet a full 50% of this title was a misleading red herring. I fail to see any significance of the word MEET. I would have preferred the title STOCK EXCHANGE making reference to the exchange of words in the stock phrases used in the mechanism.

Just my halfpenny’s worth.
I thought that was part of the meta-solving process.....figuring out which part or parts of the title apply to the meta. Sometimes it's the whole title, and sometimes it's just one word.
Cynthia
Gman

Post by Gman »

No word yet on the winner this week. Therefore, I will once again graciously volunteer to receive the mug. 😀

IT'S A DEAL?
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Gman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:59 pm No word yet on the winner this week. Therefore, I will once again graciously volunteer to receive the mug. 😀

IT'S A DEAL?
Anagram of this week’s answer: SAID LATE.