"Swap Meet" - April 16, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

Finally on shore, tho I needed a serious boost (way beyond a nudge) and some significant flotation devices, provided graciously by BOHARR (thank you) . I will not be submitting for the mug of course, but I definitely appreciate the cleverness of this meta.
Colin

Post by Colin »

EDIT: Blinding flash of light while playing shove-halfpenny... ASHORE!! (So much for a quiet night!)

On board and liking it! Just enough folks in the bar for a good chat without waiting long for Isaac to fill our glasses. After a week looking after two granddaughters, I will probably just hang here for a quiet night.
Last edited by Colin on Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One world. One planet. One future.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:22 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:20 pm
TPS wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:16 pm

Careful - soon you’ll be fighting like the Axis and Allies.
Oh it Boggles the mind how many want to play at this game. And I thought I was the Mastermind. And we are in a Pandemic, here in Civilization. And there will be Trouble if you continue with this Trivial Pursuit. But if you don't like this Operation we have going, then...

Sorry!
"Calling Dr. Tom... Calling Dr. Tom... You're needed in the Muggles wing, STAT!"
This whole conversation is giving me a headache, so I'm not going to continue the shenanigans.
Rufus T. Firefly
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

BrianMac wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:29 pm You may all soon be asking: “Why did Brian Blokus from posting?”
Probably didn't want the aggravation.
Rufus T. Firefly
Billy M

Post by Billy M »

Would like to request a nudge at this point in the weekend if anyone's game. I solved the grid pretty quickly Saturday morning, but I've dug enough holes over the last day and a half and it just isn't clicking.

Edit: Thank you, kind folk. Gotta love when you tried the right solution but thought you were in a rabbit hole.

So count me on shore with a Brooklyn Summer and maybe a fernet.
Last edited by Billy M on Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

So this is what happens while I was licking my sugary wounds!

It has been so long since I posted, what is it now, a Fortnite? I was busy having Uno or more drinks and suddenly I said “Draughts” I’d better get back in there to see what kind of games they are playing at! I’m glad I did because I’m sure as Hades not going to let this Catan mouse game go on without being part of it even if I am simply Doomed to be playing the Poker of the angry pit bull. It was, shall we say, my Call of Duty. I don’t want to be Tagged as the Fall Guy for this War though since it was going on while I was out behind the house at my smoker getting my ham steak, my Back gammon as it were. I’m trying to get this done because there is bad weather coming and I don’t want to get caught cooking in a Twister. I wish we had gotten out of town, but our plans to travel were thwarted and I had reservations for Carcassonne darn it.

See what you started Tea Jenny, let's hope it doesn't go to pot or we will all be in the bag, and that is a steep price to pay for brewing trouble. Let me give you some G rated tips as opposed to the usual PG Tips. Oh Oh, can't do that now I've waited so oolong that that storm I mentioned is coming, and they think now it will be a Typhoo n.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

BrianMac wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:29 pm You may all soon be asking: “Why did Brian Blokus from posting?”
I've got spurs that Jingle Jenga Jangle....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:31 pm So this is what happens while I was licking my sugary wounds!

It has been so long since I posted, what is it now, a Fortnite? I was busy having Uno or more drinks and suddenly I said “Draughts” I’d better get back in there to see what kind of games they are playing at! I’m glad I did because I’m sure as Hades not going to let this Catan mouse game go on without being part of it even if I am simply Doomed to be playing the Poker of the angry pit bull. It was, shall we say, my Call of Duty. I don’t want to be Tagged as the Fall Guy for this War though since it was going on while I was out behind the house at my smoker getting my ham steak, my Back gammon as it were. I’m trying to get this done because there is bad weather coming and I don’t want to get caught cooking in a Twister. I wish we had gotten out of town, but our plans to travel were thwarted and I had reservations for Carcassonne darn it.

See what you started Tea Jenny, let's hope it doesn't go to pot or we will all be in the bag, and that is a steep price to pay for brewing trouble. Let me give you some G rated tips as opposed to the usual PG Tips. Oh Oh, can't do that now I've waited so oolong that that storm I mentioned is coming, and they think now it will be a Typhoo n.
And..... he's back!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:22 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:20 pm
TPS wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:16 pm

Careful - soon you’ll be fighting like the Axis and Allies.
Oh it Boggles the mind how many want to play at this game. And I thought I was the Mastermind. And we are in a Pandemic, here in Civilization. And there will be Trouble if you continue with this Trivial Pursuit. But if you don't like this Operation we have going, then...

Sorry!
"Calling Dr. Tom... Calling Dr. Tom... You're needed in the Muggles wing, STAT!"
Here as paged! I was playing Hide and Seek with a drug rep. He had originally been assigned to Texas and Omaha but they couldn't Hold em. I have to give him credit because he had been a Rummy, specifically one devoted to Gin. He changed his ways when his sister, an Old Maid, had the Hearts to persuade him to go to the Klondike for a while and it paid off in Spades. Plus I was also busy trying to counsel a patient with bladder control issues, seems he cannot always control his elimination and sometimes manages to wet his hand, he called it his pee knuckle.....
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:36 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:31 pm So this is what happens while I was licking my sugary wounds!

And..... he's back!
You certainly didn't think I was going to let you guys have all the fun.....
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Just getting to this now after having guests over weekend. Very cool meta! Count me ashore

Stay well all!

Another paperless week coming up. Loving this 3 week vaca after all the mess and cancelled trips.
PJM

Post by PJM »

On shore with a nice Grenache/Syrah blend.

I would not be here without a helpful nudge from Wendy. Hence, not submitting -- and ending my unbeaten streak dating back to December.

My mother always said all good things come to an end (in (damn them) parentheses, he reflected: oddly, she did not actually say all bad things come to an end). :lol:
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

DrTom wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:45 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:36 pm

And..... he's back!
You certainly didn't think I was going to let you guys have all the fun.....
I know you mint well, but I have the Sencha that your efforts to sink my Battleship will not have the Mass Effect you intended. Rather than sit here Whist-fully simmering in Solitairey silence, I shall Roulette tomorrow morning to enjoy a hearty English Breakfast with Earl Grey after walking my dog Bingo. It may take a while to get there, as it can be difficult to navigate all of the Chutes and Ladders, but I have the Patience to Pictionary thing that may Go wrong along the way and plan accordingly.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Ashore after a bit of work...
Tripod

Post by Tripod »

Had guests, so just getting to the meta. Grid done, but numbers!!!

Count me at the bar with Isaac for now...
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Took me a while to get the numbers part to work but finally saw the light with no nudging. Great puzzle.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:44 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:22 pm "Calling Dr. Tom... Calling Dr. Tom... You're needed in the Muggles wing, STAT!"
Here as paged! I was playing Hide and Seek with a drug rep. He had originally been assigned to Texas and Omaha but they couldn't Hold em. I have to give him credit because he had been a Rummy, specifically one devoted to Gin. He changed his ways when his sister, an Old Maid, had the Hearts to persuade him to go to the Klondike for a while and it paid off in Spades. Plus I was also busy trying to counsel a patient with bladder control issues, seems he cannot always control his elimination and sometimes manages to wet his hand, he called it his pee knuckle.....
Oh, I see you got board with the types of games we were using and decided to switch. Well, you are a card after all. And thus, you can be dealt with.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles

Our final count is 23 on the ship and 181 on the shore. A very active afternoon.

Getting to the ship's bar since noon are
NuYear68
Lyman
and Tripod

Making it to the shore by a variety of means some with Coast Guard help and some on their own and some who were there all along are

jrdad
TeaJenny
Thurman8er
HunterX
hissongle
ImOnToo
Limerick
Tom S
eagle1279
JaneGummy
Billy M
Powers2020
iggystan
Colin
norrin2
iblinked
streroto
PJM
phofer
WSJosh

Good luck winning the mug and stay safe this week
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ccmac

Post by ccmac »

This straggler just made it to shore, thanks to a gracious nudge from Wendy Walker. Good luck to those submitting answers for the mug!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Ashore.

Thanks to a timely nudge, I have found my way back to the beach.....