"Swap Meet" - April 16, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Catching up here with apologies for the delay! Regulars here know that Patrick Berry is a puzzle genius and this one was a veritable Swiss watch of intricate construction. We had 1594 entries, with a very impressive 86% picking apart the solution successfully. Plus a long list of other guesses, inclyding GIVE & TAKE (12), TRADE YOU/YA (6), BAIT & SWITCH (3), and lots of others.

Congrats to this week's winner, Tom Clayton of Davidson, NC!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Congrats to Tom C and on to the next one!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

I liked the construction of that one!

How many phrases can you manipulate like that with similar beginnings/endings?

(and fit it nicely into a crossword grid to boot!)
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
TNakagawaWSJ

Post by TNakagawaWSJ »

Hello, Muggles! It's Taylor Nakagawa again from WSJ. Our contest course is slowly coming together and I'd like to share an update. A few weeks ago, I received an email from a fellow Muggle who shared a document of tips from the community on solving meta puzzles. You can find those tips here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=49

The WSJ puzzles team thought these tips would make a great appendix to the course and we'd like to include some of your voices and photos in there as well.

Here are some questions that we put together. If you'd to be featured in the contest course, please send me your answers via email. We're also looking for a photo of you filling out the WSJ crossword. My email is taylor.nakagawa@wsj.com

- Take a look at the tips compiled by Bob and Tina in the link above. What's the most useful tip they shared? Is there a tip you use when solving every contest puzzle?

- How long have you been doing the contest puzzles? I'd love to hear any stories or "ah-ha" moments you've had uncovering meta answers.

- What makes the WSJ crossword unique? Why do you keep coming back to our contest puzzles?

- Where are you located? City/town and state, please!

Thank you so much, and I look forward to hearing from you all!
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

TNakagawaWSJ wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:14 am
What is your timeframe/deadline for getting these responses?
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Franklin.Bluth wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:07 pm
TNakagawaWSJ wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:14 am
What is your timeframe/deadline for getting these responses?
Good question. I'm glad someone asked it. I didn't have time to do more that scan the post when I first saw it and didn't have time to follow up.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

TNakagawaWSJ wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:14 am Hello, Muggles! It's Taylor Nakagawa again from WSJ. Our contest course is slowly coming together and I'd like to share an update. A few weeks ago, I received an email from a fellow Muggle who shared a document of tips from the community on solving meta puzzles. You can find those tips here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=49

The WSJ puzzles team thought these tips would make a great appendix to the course and we'd like to include some of your voices and photos in there as well.

Here are some questions that we put together. If you'd to be featured in the contest course, please send me your answers via email. We're also looking for a photo of you filling out the WSJ crossword. My email is taylor.nakagawa@wsj.com

- Take a look at the tips compiled by Bob and Tina in the link above. What's the most useful tip they shared? Is there a tip you use when solving every contest puzzle?

- How long have you been doing the contest puzzles? I'd love to hear any stories or "ah-ha" moments you've had uncovering meta answers.

- What makes the WSJ crossword unique? Why do you keep coming back to our contest puzzles?

I think you need to post this in tomorrow’s puzzle thread. A lot of people stop looking here after Mike posts the results.
Heidi
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

hcbirker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:05 pm
TNakagawaWSJ wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:14 am Hello, Muggles! It's Taylor Nakagawa again from WSJ. Our contest course is slowly coming together and I'd like to share an update. A few weeks ago, I received an email from a fellow Muggle who shared a document of tips from the community on solving meta puzzles. You can find those tips here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=49

I think you need to post this in tomorrow’s puzzle thread. A lot of people stop looking here after Mike posts the results.
Just don't post it on page one! :D
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:36 am
Collegetowngirl wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:17 pm On shore. My first post here! That was not easy at all!!
Welcome to the family. And congratulations for making it to the shore.

Which college town?
Thanks! I have lived in three college towns and loved them all. Berkeley CA, Cambridge MA, Bloomington IN
TNakagawaWSJ

Post by TNakagawaWSJ »

Responding to some questions on a deadline for responses to the crossword course call out.

If you all could send me your responses and a photo by the end of next week (4/30) that would be great.

Thanks,
Taylor