"The Play's The Thing" - April 9, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

BigRedBob wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:59 pm no need “to be or not” - onshore, grateful for sophomore college literature course...though, being raised in Pittsburgh, PA, thought soliloquy was simply “or not”

(Grew up hearing “Your room needs cleaned up” and “the car needs washed” and “the garbage needs taken out”...)
I laughed out loud when I read this. My husband grew up in Pittsburgh and is a fanatic about clean cars. One of our first encounters was on a beautiful spring day in Virginia Beach when he was washing his MGB outside our apartment complex. Me: “Why do you spend so much time washing and waxing your car?” Future husband, looking at me like I had lost my mind: “It needs washed!!!” I learned more Pittsburgh-ese later that day when we went for a drive in said MGB with the top down. I also remember him hitting the brakes as we came upon a little bridge with a tonnage weight limit sign posted nearby. When I asked him why he was stopping, he looked at me and said that we wouldn’t be able to cross the bridge safely with my added weight. (I was most certainly not overweight and realized he thought this was a terribly funny joke since we had been poking fun at each other all afternoon.) And yet, I still married him!
Sara
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Had been stranded on the boat looking for missing pieces, but thanks to boharr have filled in the blanks and had a quick swim to shore. It feels good to feel sand between my toes after a couple of weeks.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

"To unpathed waters, undreamed shores, most certain..."

aka. On shore and loving it! : ) ) )
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

Sorry for the abbreviated and early report yesterday. In response to one comment about getting up early on Saturday, wait until you are retired. You forget what day of the week it is. And have no apologies about it.

First welcome to our newest muggles - Monica Harris, Matthew Wang, dpl11, Joseph Thompson, and cinny. Just a quick note on counting. I count you as a muggle when you post ship or shore either here or over on the WSJ comments page for the Friday contest. If you comment on the MGWCC or other metas, that is great and we love to have you but I very often don't look there for new commenters

For our western PA muggles, do you provide a dictionary for when we go there? I thought that MA was bad when I moved here but...

Back to the shore. We have 230 on the shore so our record of 250 is in sight. New since yesterday are:
Olaf
Janet
Ann
Limerick
beccacollins
mitchel674
Monica Harris
Jennifer
ChrisWill
sphorning
phofer
Bill
Mulligan
mpmanning
Wordsmith
jmorgie7
BreeZynCO
ADS
Rad26
rosiegirl
JennyByrd
Natalie

For those getting their Covid shots, my wife and I were knocked low on our second shot. Soreness and/or tiredness are the most common but after 36 hours you are back to normal. Don't let any of this keep you from getting the shots when you can.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Commodore wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:55 am
LadyBird wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:33 am
John77 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:29 am Or are going birding! My husband remarks that this time of year (spring migration) is the only time I am willingly getting up before 6am.
Or can get a good photo at daybreak.
IMG_2597.jpeg
Or are staying in a large hostel with only one or two working washing machines and nobody else is ambitious enough to get up at 4AM to do laundry. #amsterdam
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:48 am Good Sunday morning muggles

For those getting their Covid shots, my wife and I were knocked low on our second shot. Soreness and/or tiredness are the most common but after 36 hours you are back to normal. Don't let any of this keep you from getting the shots when you can.
My experience exactly with the Moderna shot....although I was one of the privileged who also got "Covid arm" with both shots. Nothing horrible, just annoying.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:10 am
BigRedBob wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:59 pm no need “to be or not” - onshore, grateful for sophomore college literature course...though, being raised in Pittsburgh, PA, thought soliloquy was simply “or not”

(Grew up hearing “Your room needs cleaned up” and “the car needs washed” and “the garbage needs taken out”...)
I laughed out loud when I read this. My husband grew up in Pittsburgh and is a fanatic about clean cars. One of our first encounters was on a beautiful spring day in Virginia Beach when he was washing his MGB outside our apartment complex. Me: “Why do you spend so much time washing and waxing your car?” Future husband, looking at me like I had lost my mind: “It needs washed!!!” I learned more Pittsburgh-ese later that day when we went for a drive in said MGB with the top down. I also remember him hitting the brakes as we came upon a little bridge with a tonnage weight limit sign posted nearby. When I asked him why he was stopping, he looked at me and said that we wouldn’t be able to cross the bridge safely with my added weight. (I was most certainly not overweight and realized he thought this was a terribly funny joke since we had been poking fun at each other all afternoon.) And yet, I still married him!
I thought you might say he was worried the bridge might be "slippy."
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
anaerobe

Post by anaerobe »

Well, I needed more nudges than the Ever Given-but thanks a million to those who helped me out. I'll be on the sidelines cheering for the rest of you this week! Good luck!
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

It is to be for me this week! I am ashore in an undiscover'd country ... since we do land at a new place each week. Fun mechanism on this puzzle; and who knew there were so many versions of the speech on Youtube! I might could have missed the port due to a variation in spelling at one phase of the solution, but it came together right quick in the end, and before a bad cloud blew up some rain I was able to carry the solution home. (Throwing in a few North Carolina-isms here, to broaden the regional lingo pool).
Olof

Post by Olof »

Well, I'm ashore. A satisfying meta. I'm rating this one significantly harder than most folks, apparently. A Nebbiolo for me, tonight.
Notbitter

Post by Notbitter »

On shore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

I did not realize the Matt has used this title before

On June 7, 2019, Matt had a meta with the same title. I don't remember it but the answer was The Tempest

I have a summary of all the contests and when I started entering the title, Excel filled in the rest of the title from the 2019 contest.

I assume that Matt was aware of this.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Our final count is 234 on the very crowded shore.

We have had four muggles make it to shore since noon with varying levels of Coast Guard help

Annabelle
Notbitter
Anaerobe
Olof

Good luck to all winning the mug - long odds this week
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Ashore, with a nice cab sauv in hand.
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done Friday, and done just now, with two hours to spare. Another rare appearance.

TFTXWD
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

DannyWalter wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:46 pm
hissongcle wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:42 pm On shore. I do love the Bard.
The girls today in society
Go for classical poetry
So to win their hearts you must quote with ease
Aeschylus and Euripides

But the poet of them all
Who will start 'em simply ravin'
Is the poet people call
The Bard of Stratford-on-Avon

Brush up your Shakespeare
Start quoting him now
And the women you will wow…

And they'll all kowtow
Cole Porter Kiss Me Kate Act II, 1948
Did you ever try that? I started quoting Shakespeare once and wound up sitting alone at the end of the bar.
Did she say your behavior was heinous?
Jay
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20210409 WSJCC The Play's the Thing.png
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

pLAY IS THE tHING SOLUTION.png
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

In the text of my email to the WSJ, I asked them to please call me, having picked my submission, before I achieve mortality. We will see how effective special pleading can be.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Yep, that's the solution I arrived at as well. :)
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *