"Alternatives" - May 31, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:44 am Good Friday morning
An interesting alternative. We have 40 on shore and a bunch of us wondering what we are missing that is so obvious.

Good luck to those preparing for Matt G's week 5 storm.

Back to the salt mines

Go Bruins
Count me among the ones who are wondering what we're missing. I'm feeling downright stupid.
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

hmmm...

I see things that must be relevant but don't lead to a clear answer. I have a submittable one as in "I submit!". Since all solutions seem like 100%ers to me, this shore feels more like quicksand. Will navel gaze a bit more before letting loose the Hail Mary.

Just noticed the button to post on this board is labelled "Submit." Must be telling me something,
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
Janet

Post by Janet »

On shore. I started the grid yesterday. Today I was home sick and thought I might be able to finish the grid. I did, and then was stumped for a while.
I was looking up my symptoms in another window (I always consult Dr Google before deciding whether its worth going to the real doctor), and when I shifted back to the puzzle, I must have clicked on one of the clues and it highlighted it in blue. And.... it turned out to be part of the rabbit. The rest was soon found.
So, I made it to shore while huddled under a blanket drinking a cup of tea.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

On shore. I made a grid entry error, and wouldn't you know it, it impacted solution of the meta. Once I spotted it, the meta fell into place rather quickly (although I went in the wrong direction initially - reading some of the comments already posted, that was a pretty common erroneous approach).

My son is traveling this weekend, so I beat him to shore, but with an asterisk. On second thought, who cares: I beat him to shore! :lol:
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

burak wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:46 am Last week's puzzle was as Gaffneyesque as it could get, and this week's is truly Shenkesque in that sense.
Shenkive might roll off the tongue a little smoother?
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Anita

Post by Anita »

Naturally, right after I posted how stupid I felt, the solution appeared! D'oh! Count me on shore. :-)
BethA

Post by BethA »

“Never mind” — Emily Litella.

Just got that resounding click. 100% on shore now! Apparently I solved this the hard way...
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Made it to shore thanks to the third rabbit hole! I'm sure Isaac's dry martini also helped ;-)
I completely agree with those who've said this is Shenk-esque/ive/ish.
Good luck to all on winning the mug!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Grid done.
Meta undone.

Isaac, save me a bar-stool.
Rufus T. Firefly
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Got it! Can't wait to share the fictional alternative I actually considered sending in.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Ashore!
Found the new "word" and the right one. Fortunately for me, the new word doesn't anagram to anything real.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Tom Shea wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:55 pm Grid done.
Meta undone.

Isaac, save me a bar-stool.
Mrs. Teasdale has every confidence that you will get this meta. At the very least, she'll have a drink with you...
Hail, Hail Freedonia!
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Count me ashore.
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

Finally saw the light - solved!
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

I am now a native of a certain shore!
Ann

Post by Ann »

Solved!
sheilaco

Post by sheilaco »

I'm still keeping Isaac company. Whatever is completely obvious to most of you is still a mystery to me.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Made it to the beach.

Feels good after 0 for 2 on last week’s Gaffneys
Jack Sullivan
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Fresh eyes this morning showed me the way to shore. I was starting to think I had gone so far down the rabbit hole, that there was no way I could possibly start over from scratch. But perseverance paid off and I finally found the ‘aha’. Now I’ll be able to watch the Champions League final in peace!
Trey

Post by Trey »

Couldn't tell if my post got through or not - regardless Marion and I are on shore.......safely and relaxing.