"Two For The Show" - April 2, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ALS

Post by ALS »

I'm lost, lost, lost. Even redid the puzzle in hard copy to no avail.

Transferring my attention to taxes now.

ALS
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Never mind. Sat down for ONE LAST LOOK and got it. Streak continues!!!

This one actually feels really good...I agonized over it for sure :)

(That was WAY TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT...WHISKEY COMING!!!)
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

RDaleHall wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:38 pm On shore after a lot of random paddling over the last couple days. Took awhile to see all of it and then catch on to the title implications. But finally got to what I had in mind as the answer ever since the grid completion. Nice overall puzzle with a few rabbit holes along the way.
you know, that was my initial guess too once solving the grid, but took all weekend to arrive at.

I would like to think that my subconscious solved this before I did! :lol:
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

As the witching hour closes in, I am also LAS, having looked at the grid many times over the weekend. Glad to not be alone at the ship's bar, as we hover over our phones watching for the midnight +1 posting of the answer. A toast to those who solved.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Thanks to a very patient Joe Ross, I finally solved the meta.

Note, I did not say that I am on shore. I am going to remain on the boat and, obviously, not submit.
Konnie
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:00 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:04 am Well THAT was another case of trying to get to Georgia from Florida by way of Nevada....or rather the usual "Man did I make that more difficult than I had to." I did get a gentle nudge, or rather a "stop beating that very dead horse" (as opposed to the Norwegian Blue parrot whom any numbskull could see was just sleeping!). I was admonished to start from scratch so I did and only then did I resolve my itch.

Clever one Mr. Gaffney, and embarrassingly easier than I made it since once you see the path you cannot imagine that you didn't get it within the first hour (which for me would be a pipe dream). So, too late for a cocktail (I had one earlier in anticipation), I'll just have an Easter Egg chaser. Until then you won't hear a marshmallow chick out of me.
Isn't it a Shenk meta?
Well yes it is, I stand corrected. I've been so used to seeing MG in the WS META that I assumed (and we all know what that does!) it was him again. So :
"Clever one Mr. Gaffney Schenk, and embarrassingly....."
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Cap'n Rick helpfully sent a lifeboat out and nudged me to shore (I won't submit because I was nowhere near anything that resembled the mechanism, and I doubt that anyone else crawled down the rabbit holes that buried me).
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I got the answer, but I needed a reminder of something that I should have reminded myself of because I always forget it. So I'm on shore, but not enough so that I'm raising my tankard of ale.
Jay
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I am doubly proud tonight of the Muggle response to the call for help. First for the "tips" which flowed amazingly easy to reach the goal well before the deadline (I thought I was going to have to go online and offer recordings of me singing oldies or have a marathon DrTom's Abbey to get over the hump). Secondly, it was so nice to hear from so many new people what all of us "old timers" knew already; that this is a friendly, comfortable place to be. Xword-muggles is on the whole nonjudgmental, compassionate and accepting, even embracing, of differences and I am always delighted that I am part of this community.

Oh, and I doubt seriously that my singing would have gotten a lot of donations, but the promise to STOP my singing if a goal was hit, now that would have been pure gold.

Finally I HAVE to share something that another muggle, knowing my propensity for bad punny jokes, sent along:
Psycho.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Kas

Post by Kas »

Oof! *Just* saw it, with 15 minutes to spare!!
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Finally found a moment to look 👀 over the grid and surfaced on shore in the nick of time.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

so what was the answer???? i'm bummed i couldn't figure it out. I didn't want to ask for a nudge though. I wanted to train those meta muscles
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Kas wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:45 pm Oof! *Just* saw it, with 15 minutes to spare!!
KAS 4.9 :lol:
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Magistra

Post by Magistra »

That Excel spreadsheet led me to the answer. Thanks for being a great group. I've been lurking for months and finally registered this week.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Joe Ross seems to be indisposed, so pasting in the solution here
Screenshot_20210404-221257.png
Last edited by joequavis on Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abide

Post by Abide »

The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, so the trick was as the center grid answer intimated, a PICTURE FRAME, but when everyone was looking for a picture frame (and a lot of us got sidetracked by the two WOODS), the "pictures" were motion pictures. So, as mentioned in the clues ARGO, ALI, WOO, RAN and TRON. Each of those were also in the GRID slightly disguised, with a letter on each side of them (TWO for the show) that when taken in order spelled EDGAR DEGAS!

I tried my darndest to flub this one. Until I got my STOP THAT admonition I was CERTAIN that I was going to find ONE in several places hidden in plain sight. I was then going to take this (these) ONE(s) and add it to the most logical artist name I could MONET because, and come on now somebody besides me thought it,
ONE FOR THE MONET TWO FOR THE SHOW?

Thankfully the answer was a lot cleaner and logically arrived at, but you have to know that part of me wanted it so badly to be MONET. I guess it really paid to slow down and take my foot of DE GAS.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

I was nowhere near that! I did notice a lot of movie related clues and that was my last realization before throwing in the towel.

These were my notes lol.
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

camandsampowercouple wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:01 am so what was the answer???? i'm bummed i couldn't figure it out. I didn't want to ask for a nudge though. I wanted to train those meta muscles
No need for a real necromancer
All alone you can fathom an answer
If you frame an impression
In merely one session
You’ll picture before you a dancer
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

camandsampowercouple wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:17 am I was nowhere near that! I did notice a lot of movie related clues and that was my last realization before throwing in the towel.

These were my notes lol.
I gave up solving online / electronically specifically due to puzzles like this one where the clues are so important. I really should try Joe's spreadsheet one of these weeks, perhaps when I'm stuck...
Kudos for sticking with it!