"Two For The Show" - April 2, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

It's that time of night, I have to throw in the towel. Congrats to everyone that was able to solve it. I wrote about my solving process and the ideas I was chasing around all weekend and shared a picture of my notes if anyone is interested.

You can check out my writing here.
https://dailyxword.wordpress.com/2021/0 ... -the-show/
Abide

Post by Abide »

The next $4 donation closes the tip jar!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

Abide wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:13 pm The next $4 donation closes the tip jar!
Done!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Applause all around! What a terrific and generous group! Hip hip hooray!
Heidi
Abide

Post by Abide »

Brandon W wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:15 pm
Abide wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:13 pm The next $4 donation closes the tip jar!
Done!
Best 10th post ever...🥳
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
ReB

Post by ReB »

On shore.

Didn't get to the meta until this afternoon. I left the ship on a raft and paddled somewhat aimlessly until I spotted a current which fortunately strengthened and landed me on shore rather driving me onto rocks.
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

On shore after a lot of random paddling over the last couple days. Took awhile to see all of it and then catch on to the title implications. But finally got to what I had in mind as the answer ever since the grid completion. Nice overall puzzle with a few rabbit holes along the way.
TPS

Post by TPS »

camandsampowercouple wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:54 pm It's that time of night, I have to throw in the towel. Congrats to everyone that was able to solve it. I wrote about my solving process and the ideas I was chasing around all weekend and shared a picture of my notes if anyone is interested.

(Redacted until after the deadline.)
I threw in the towel as well - Gman was kind enough to give me 3 huge shoves and I still saw nada. This puzzle was just too tough for me all around. Congrats to all those who did solve it and thank you to everyone who donated to keep the site up and continue using to give me a forum to express my frustration!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Yay us!!$$!!!
It was a good idea to limit the donations to $15 to give as many as possible the chance to participate.
Brian and other managers and coaches, I hope you never had a doubt that the Muggles would all step up to the plate. We all raise our virtual mugs to you in a hearty toast. THANKS!
🙋‍♀️
JetStream

Post by JetStream »

wait.....what time zone are we in? I just figured it out and was going to submit but ??? It just said 'Congratulations' and there is no submit button. Am I too late? Either way, feels good to finally get it. I think the advice to 'just start over' was what allowed me to finally find the piece of the puzzle I was missing.
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

camandsampowercouple wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:54 pm It's that time of night, I have to throw in the towel. Congrats to everyone that was able to solve it. I wrote about my solving process and the ideas I was chasing around all weekend and shared a picture of my notes if anyone is interested.

(Redacted until after the deadline.)
I'm annoyed too. I haven't missed one since before Christmas and was feeling confident, but I haven't even see step 1 in this meta. Now I get to stay up till midnight to see the answer :)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 26 on the ship and 148 on the shore. And we have our newes mubble -Harbo

Emerging to the fun loving crowd in Isaac's bar are

rexthree
Annabelle
Joe R
Lyman
JRS51
Dennis
khanthedane

And catching the last tender to the shore are

Susan G
jb321123
Janet P
Debbie
Notbitter
Powers2020
Eric P
CallMeShane
Deb
Blair
gatogato
Harbo
Anaerobe
ReB
RDaleHall

Good luck winning the mug and we will see you on Thursday. Same time, same station
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Thought I better post my status before it was too late. I'm definitely still LAS, Bob! That's OK, though, even with my longest solving streak coming to an end at midnight. I have had way too much fun this weekend with our 2.5 year-old granddaughter! Easter Egg hunts, playing with dolls, swinging on the playset and celebrating a "half birthday" (who knew this had become so popular?!) - all much more memorable than an AHA moment any day!

Oops - looks like I just missed the final report! No biggy!
Sara
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

JetStream wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:43 pm wait.....what time zone are we in? I just figured it out and was going to submit but ??? It just said 'Congratulations' and there is no submit button. Am I too late? Either way, feels good to finally get it. I think the advice to 'just start over' was what allowed me to finally find the piece of the puzzle I was missing.
It’s not too late. The deadline is midnight eastern time.

If the website submission button is not working, just send an email with the answer as the subject to

crosswordcontest@wsj.com
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

On the ship. Hoping for post-enlightenment so my 2021 streak doesn't come to an end.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Staying on the boat! Thanks for the nudges, but grinding it out still without looking. Great site and thank you for the support!
Kevin
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Ashore! I think... Having a Redbreast scotch my friend gave me for my birthday. Yum.
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Ashore! I think... Having a Redbreast scotch my friend gave me for my birthday. Yum.
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

Despite nudges, I'm still on the ship.
I feel a "Doh!" moment coming on in about two hours.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

On shore!

This is the latest I've ever solved the meta.

I thought this was very hard - I rated it 4/5 stars.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *