"We'll Have Waters All Around" - March 26, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I wouldn't say that DRESSING was implied, given:
  • The answer to
    this week’s contest
    crossword is a
    three-word phrase
    that’s something
    you might ask for in
    a restaurant
  • something you might ask for in a restaurant only allows for a noun phrase.
  • The extremely explicit 1A clue & grid entry demand that 23 numbers be added to find the answer.
  • 23 ISLAND grid entries were crammed, stuffed, cajoled, harangued, & jig-sawed surgically into a 15x15 grid.
  • Adding the clue #s for the 23 ISLAND grid entries gives a precise total of a THOUSAND.
What else could the answer be?
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

My submission:
“What she’s having...”
Most famous restaurant order ever
9D24E156-06D7-4A90-BE49-694392F4C742.jpeg
KayW

Post by KayW »

Like everyone else, I saw the 23 Island entries right away. It took a while for me to try adding the entry numbers of each (made much easier by using excel, thanks for the jillionth time to Joe Ross!). I KNEW what the answer was going to be but had to do it just to confirm to myself that Matt could actually finagle that construction marvel.

Like many others, I scratched my head for a while about the reasoning for DRESSING, but given the instruction that’s the only thing it could be.

Otherwise I might have been tempted to submit a phrase much more familiar to me - THOUSAND ISLAND LAKE (in the UP), where I spent most of my childhood summer vacations.
97F83AEF-9929-421E-A20E-EA4CB4F5F4A8.jpeg
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
sf592000

Post by sf592000 »

My explanation for DRESSING was 23D (23 Islands) EYE with 1A ADD + DRESSING / ADDRESSING.

And welcome periperi, while your name is most likely referencing the dish, Peri is the name of our youngest daughter! Cheers!
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

I added up the clue numbers on Friday but didn't get 1000, even tho I used a calculator. Doh. Then I made two reubens sandwiches at work on Saturday with, yup, thousand island dressing, still no click. I needed Boharr to wrench me out of the fruitless rabbit holes, and to remind me about 45 acoss answer, occams razor, keep it simple, and to frankly tell me what to do to finally get the DOH! moment.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:04 am
2. My hail mary should have counted, had I sent it in: "Java To Go." (Java and Togo are islands)
Brilliant!! That will have to become a meta answer on its own one day.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

joequavis wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:03 am Welp that's one thing I definitely didn't try.
Me too! I thought about it at one point but thought “no way, that would be absurd to add clue numbers!” Oh well! That was a good one !
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

LIke KayW, I went to Excel (thanks Joe). When I noted the clue for ADD, I thought, Nothing will come of it, but I may as well try. I mean, these numbers that are practically random aren't going to add up to anything significant. I put all the numbers in a column so that I could check to make sure the last one was Row 23. When I clicked on the sigma and saw the1000. I couldn't believe it.
Jay
SarasotaSun

Post by SarasotaSun »

pookie wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:31 am
steveb wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:18 am
pookie wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:41 am Oh, no...no, no, no
DRESSING is IMPLIED? Every answer I can remember since doing these is found somewhere in the grid or the clues or the title.
If they're accepting IMPLIED answers, then you can accept mine that was implied by all those islands surrounded by water...SURF AND TURF.
Gimme a break.
Remember that the only rule is that there are no rules. There have been plenty of puzzles in the past where the answer was implied or found by some other means than letters in the grid or clues or title. See 11/20/15, 3/18/16 (an all-time favorite of this crowd :lol: ), 2/13/17, 5/12/17, or 12/15/17 for a few examples.

Every week the mechanism is unpredictable. That's why they call them puzzles!
Sorry, steveb, I'm not looking up any of those puzzles. I wasted too much time on this one already. I do these for fun, not to find out I have to read Matt's mind.
I spent 4 days on it!
Couldn’t see any confirmation for “dressing”.
Personally, I would never ask for Thousand Island Dressing.
There were 2 references to the number 3: 49A: III, and 68D: TRE.
I took that to mean add 3 to each island clue number…..gibberish.
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

First time poster who’s been enjoying this site immensely. I’m compelled to share something that helped confirm for me the right answer. Early on, I noticed there are exactly 7 “C’s” in the completed grid. Although that led to some frustrating rabbit holes before adding up the answer numbers, the fact that “Seven Seas” is a brand of salad dressing ultimately helped me justify the word “Dressing”. I can’t imagine that there being exactly 7 “C’s” was accidental?
boharr

Post by boharr »

rosiegirl wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:44 am Well, this was a disastrous week. Leaving 19 across off and using 60 across instead gave me 23 answers, but not the correct ones, so did not add up to 1,000! I was done after that. Apologies to those who tried to help me with nudges!
I made the same mistake with 60A at first. Then I discovered it's landlocked.
Last edited by boharr on Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bonnibel wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:53 am The turning point for me in solving this was "OCCAM."
Less is more, look for the most direct pathway, don't over think it.
I wondered if Matt stuck this in to tell us something.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I was so lucky to get this one quickly before hitting Google! I'm amazed at the length to which other Muggles went, researching things like the islands' population, surrounding bodies of water, language spoken, history, and GDP.
I think what might have helped me along was the fact that I put little horizontal dashes next to the island clues to make sure there were 23 of them. Then I circled the islands in the grid and made little vertical dashes next to the clues to make sure I got them all. You can see that they ended up looking like plus signs!
Attachments
waters.jpg
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Ha.. When I started doing this puzzle and began seeing the islands I thought of "thousand island dressing" but then needed to prove it. it took awhile but I got there. My only doubt was "dressing". I love the idea of ADD + DRESSING. I think I was happier getting this one than any other.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

pookie wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:41 am Oh, no...no, no, no
DRESSING is IMPLIED? Every answer I can remember since doing these is found somewhere in the grid or the clues or the title.
If they're accepting IMPLIED answers, then you can accept mine that was implied by all those islands surrounded by water...SURF AND TURF.
Gimme a break.
Welcome to my side of the fence!
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

LIke many others, it seems, I search for confirmation of "DRESSING" for quite a while after figuring out the addition and 1000 Island part quite quickly. In the end, I remembered at least one other where part of the answer was implied, so hit send on THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING, without feeling great about not getting the "aha" confirmation. Glad to know that that piece was never going to happen and I wasn't missing some major clue.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Abide wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:24 am My shore leave was delayed for 2 days because I had added the numbers by hand, and came up with 998. I discarded that as another rabbit hole. This morning I thought about using a calculator and it all “added up”.
My most common nudge to baffled Muggles was "check your math." Several came SO CLOSE!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Matt did this to us once before and I did not like it any better then. You did not have to fill in the grid to get the meta. In fact, for most of us, the grid was just one big rabbit hole. It is one thing to have the clues interact with the grid but quite another to have the grid mean absolutely nothing in solving the meta
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:09 am When I clicked on the sigma and saw the1000. I couldn't believe it.
I was thinking "what foods have a number in them?" and TID came to mind. My mental process was as follows: "Yeah, but the clue numbers couldn't possibly add up to that much, could they?! ... Well, let me estimate by rounding ... OMG, that could actually work!"
My first paper-and-pencil sum was 990. I got out the calculator and ... just like Bird, there it was.
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:51 am
Abide wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:24 am My shore leave was delayed for 2 days because I had added the numbers by hand, and came up with 998. I discarded that as another rabbit hole. This morning I thought about using a calculator and it all “added up”.
My most common nudge to baffled Muggles was "check your math." Several came SO CLOSE!
Sometimes that guy Joe Ross has a point with the spreadsheet thing.
Jay