"We'll Have Waters All Around" - March 26, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm on shore, though it was not all that easy a trip. I spent some time yesterday in rabbit holes that I knew could not possibly be fruitful but couldn't resist digging around in anyway. Before going to sleep last night I took one more look at my paper and noticed some notes I'd made early on and realized that a slightly different angle on that approach would give me the answer.

I don't usually comment on impressive constructions just because, as a non-constructor, I don't really know how hard any of these are to make. While solving this grid I was thinking that it was amazing Matt could do this, but a making a 3x3 word square is amazing to me, so what do I know.

But I'm fascinated my the way Matt's mind works to keep coming up with ideas. To hear this phrase and think of this way to turn it into a meta - wow! One of the joys of solving these is getting a weekly peek into that view of the world.
TPS

Post by TPS »

TPS wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:33 am I submitted something just so I would stop thinking about this (hopefully that works!) It’s basically another Hail Mary but I can justify it and I feel like if it’s not the answer it’s at least as good as the answer.
In another case of it being better to be lucky than good - Joe confirmed what I submitted was correct - so I guess my streak remains intact. The best part about this one is I had an idea I thought might be right but no method and then I said well because x = y that confirms my answer so that is what I submitted. Only to later find out my presumption for x was completely wrong.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

ASEA in the crowded bar. Grid done with lots of help from Google and now no clue what to do with all this.
Isaac, I better have another cappuccino!
BethA

Post by BethA »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:32 am
BethA wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:54 pm On the beach! 🏖 🍷

Enjoyed it very much!

It’s probably ok to have a glass or two of merlot the day before my first vaccine shot, right? Don’t answer that!
Winter must be over as you have changed your avatar from the sledding
I hope so! I couldn’t find a satisfactory spring pic of myself, so Daisy the kitty is filling in. That’s her 12th birthday pic from earlier this month!

Meanwhile we have a high wind advisory this morning. Dan was out with the chainsaw because a big branch from one of our trees was blocking the road. He finished 10 minutes before we left for our Covid-19 vaccine shot! We made it safely there and back again - yay!
Larrry

Post by Larrry »

On shore. Definitely a Kos-3 for me.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

On shore. I didn't get it, until I suddenly did get it.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

On shore - the grid is amazing.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

On the beach! I had just finished telling my husband that there was no way I was solving the meta this weekend when I had an idea of what my next step should be. I kept hearing a little voice saying, "No way this will work", but as I continued I realized that I was indeed on the AHA path! Decided that Matt is brilliant.
Sara
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I haven't gotten to the meta yet - too much going on before Passover...
Happy Pesach to all who celebrate!
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore! Fun, and I learned some Geography and History too!
smashburn

Post by smashburn »

Looking for a nudge. Have lots of ideas, but can't seem to close it out.
spotter

Post by spotter »

On Shore! At least I'm pretty sure I am :)
Richard

Post by Richard »

I have also finished the grid and have ideas for the meta but not getting very far.
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

Didn’t have much trouble with the grid, but see that the meta is going to be a challenge.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning muggles.

What a difference a week makes. We have 62 on the shore and 5 or more on the ship - many more on the ship that are still digging rabbit holes - deep rabbit holes.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Isaac and I are having a lively discussion over this one while enjoying the view from the ship. I think I'll put this aside for awhile and let it percolate in my sub-conscious.
Heidi
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Ashore ... and, like so many who got there before me ... impressed by the construction. Have a safe and happy weekend, all!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

BethA wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:54 pm On the beach! 🏖 🍷

Enjoyed it very much!

It’s probably ok to have a glass or two of merlot the day before my first vaccine shot, right? Don’t answer that!
And after and during if they will let you. There is no recommendation to avoid alcohol (well in moderation of course) before or after the vaccination because there is no evidence that alcohol retards or diminishes the development of antibodies. The only caveat will be to attribute the headache, shakes and GI upset to the correct shot....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Still splashing around, gonna be another one of those.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
TPS

Post by TPS »

DrTom wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:14 pm

And after and during if they will let you. There is no recommendation to avoid alcohol (well in moderation of course) before or after the vaccination because there is no evidence that alcohol retards or diminishes the development of antibodies. The only caveat will be to attribute the headache, shakes and GI upset to the correct shot....
From the anecdotal evidence I’ve heard - not drinking the day or two before getting the second Moderna shot might be good advice. A number of people have said that the day after getting the second shot has resulted in 12+ hours of feeling pretty crappy - adding that on top of a hang over even a minor one does not seem I would want to do.