"Town & Country" - March 19, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

steveb wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:57 pm
ajk wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:02 pm
steveb wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:54 pm I'm also puzzled by 42A. After doing some googling about it, I came to the conclusion that either the constructor* or the editor* probably left the crucial word "rare" out of the clue.

* yes, same person :D
Think playing cards. ;)

Edited to add spoiler tag since I guess it's maybe a spoiler for the grid (though not the meta)
Of course! I didn't even think of that. Thanks.
And here I am thinking, There's no red diamonds in baseball!
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Ashore and enjoying the milder weather.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Catching up after the downtime - ashore on this one.
-Tamara
Emmajane

Post by Emmajane »

On the beach. Learned some things!

May all of your brackets stay strong!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:53 am I participate on many different message boards, associations, social groups and the overwhelmingly thing about them all is that they almost invariably end up being vehicles for venting. Let one thing go wrong and it is as if they had all of a sudden received notices of past taxes due, foreclosure on the mortgage, and hacking of their personal bank account. One crossword site (unnamed) almost went off the rails when they could not get the puzzle or had answers being erased. And then there is the Muggle board…..

Calamity ensued when an update of this board went wrong (and if ANYONE has even been involved in an upgrade/update gone wrong you know what a cluster that can be). But were people mad, were people posting venom, were people calling for blood and people’s heads NO! The overwhelming response to this was a concern for our long suffering web master and a delight that one of the most important things of our social lives (and admit it Muggles your world was a bit shattered when you could not post your successes or see what your friends were saying – mine sure as heck was) was BACK!

I do not know what the magic is about this site and all of you but I am ever grateful that I managed to find my way here and can call many of you close personal friends. If there were a Camelot (except for all the swordplay and jousting of course) I know that it would be a lot like the Muggle Board. This is such a rare bird that I think I have found the Holy Quail (I asked a couple of Knights if I had but they would only say “Ni”)

Originalni.jpg
Well said, DrTom. I do believe there's something in my eye...
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

Ashore. Many thanks to Brian.
diplomatt

Post by diplomatt »

On the beach.
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

On shore.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:49 am
Meg wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:35 am On the beach and REALLY happy to be back. The cabana boy is tearing up a bit.
Meg
Could you clarify for us

Is the cabin boy shedding tears

Or is the cabin boy tearing something off (I don't want to think about that option)

:lol: :lol:
Yes you DO or you wouldn't have asked..... :oops:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

Ashore quickly after a relatively tougher grid, since I didn’t recognize several of the places. Learned a few new things!
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Ashore, wishing a happy vernal equinox to all! And good luck to all with brackets ... let the games begin!
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

Also ashore, like the multitude already on the beach. Nice to see we’re back to easier puzzles after last week’s toughie.
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Ashore. So glad the site is back up--thanks. Very enjoyable puzzle-got our mind off the rainy day we had in central PA on Thursday.
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

On the beach. Tough grid but easy meta.

Grey Goose screwdriver sounds great.
anaerobe

Post by anaerobe »

Brian, as a relatively newborn (6 weeks old) muggle, I would not presume to speak for others on the forum. But speaking for others on the forum, it would be very satisfying and even fun to make a contribution if and when the time comes. If you needed...say...$1000, I suspect it would be a footrace (or 'clickrace'...?) to be one of the first 100 to kick in $10.

My wife isn't even a member and I'm sure she'd be good for $10, just b/c this thing keeps me out of her hair for a few hrs a week.
Michelle B

Post by Michelle B »

It was a loooong swim for me this week, a full 2 days of my hind brain working while the rest of me went on with my life. But I'm ashore! A nice hot cup of tea with a dram of amaretto to celebrate.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Scott Lindholm wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:50 pm On shore, and since the daughters were home AND the latest beer-of-the -month shipment arrived, no better time for a new pic from the younger daughter's travels through the wilds of Chicago.
Hey, wasn’t there a squirrel with an almond in its mouth in that tree last week?🐿 Hope the poor thing wasn’t evicted!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
burak

Post by burak »

Not necessarily impressed by this one, but I obviously can't and don't expect to be wowed by every single WSJCC puzzle :)
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Thank you, Brian, you’re a pillar! Bob and Joe and all the muggles who keep this beautiful muggle edifice aloft, thank you too!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

whimsy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:48 am I am ASHORE --
where Joni Mitchell is playing an impromptu concert for us --Capturejoni.JPG

"....Don't it always seem to go like you don't know what you got 'til it's gone....."

THANK YOU BRIAN, YURIY, BOB, and all other helpers!!
And, thank you everyone, for being muggles1

Big Yellow Taxi—I love that song!