"Pre-Order Your Copy Now" - March 11, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Ashore after the bunny I was correctly following led me to daylight. Now I can relax and my arm won't be tensed up for my first vaccine shot at 10:30 tonight (at the Glendale AZ site that runs 24/7).
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

OK, I see what it must be, but I guessed the answer before seeing how it fits. Failing to see the elegance others have mentioned (so far at least).

Edit: NOW I see it!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
KFB

Post by KFB »

Have been lulled into a sense of overconfidence by recent Gaffney (et al) Gifts and have lost some buoyancy. Would be grateful for some guidance from more accomplished swimmers...Thanks
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Ashore. Almost forgot to submit my answer from Friday...
TomAndDenise

Post by TomAndDenise »

Ashore. Denise threw me a line in the end.
Tom and Denise Greaves
North Andover, Massachusetts
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Finally ashore with a corrective nudge from our venerable Cruise Director. I will not submit my answer, but will join the shore party.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

TPS wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:20 pm
BrianMac wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:30 pm On shore enjoying a pink Mountain Dew. Really!

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to go back in time and tell my 15-year-old self what the future is like. Of all the things that would blow his mind, I think the fact that Mountain Dew now comes in red, blue, purple, white and pink would be near the top of the list. I don't know if he would find it cool or funny or pitiful to learn I love them all. :D :? 8-)
Here is the thing I’ve never gotten about things like multiple flavor Mountain Dew or Oreos or Kit Kats...Why? I don’t understand and never have and I would need to see empirical data to believe that it makes business sense. There might be a small amount of new market share captured but mostly I feel like it simply cannibalizes the brand. I don’t feel like there are many people out there who were like I’m NEVER drinking Mountain Dew but I’ll sure as heck try a Mountain Dew Code Red.
I understand that studies have shown that people eat/drink more when there is variety. It's why M&M's have so many colors. (Though I get how that particular situation is a little different.) If you like, say, Mt. Dew and get tired of it at some point, or just want to have/try something different, you'd be more likely to try a different version of it if there was one, rather than switch to a competing product. And if there wasn't another version, you'd be likely to try a competing product and possibly stick with it. The variety keeps customers that way.

But all the evidence you really need is the mere fact that so many companies do it with so many products. If it only cannibalized their own product and added nothing to the bottom line (while increasing production line costs), they wouldn't do it! But they do. And they keep doing it. That shows they have found it works.
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

I think I’m on the shore after several failed attempts at other angles... but not 100% sure this week. Fingers crossed and looking forward to seeing the “elegance” that I didn’t find.....
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Gaaaah! I just can’t see anything solid!
Konnie
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I’ve been back and forth to it all weekend as well; now hoping for post enlightenment.
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Ashore! Clever one. Now for a Paradise City session IPA while I watch Justin Thomas hopefully put this tourney away!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

HunterX wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:08 pm
TPS wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:20 pm
BrianMac wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:30 pm On shore enjoying a pink Mountain Dew. Really!

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to go back in time and tell my 15-year-old self what the future is like. Of all the things that would blow his mind, I think the fact that Mountain Dew now comes in red, blue, purple, white and pink would be near the top of the list. I don't know if he would find it cool or funny or pitiful to learn I love them all. :D :? 8-)
Here is the thing I’ve never gotten about things like multiple flavor Mountain Dew or Oreos or Kit Kats...Why? I don’t understand and never have and I would need to see empirical data to believe that it makes business sense. There might be a small amount of new market share captured but mostly I feel like it simply cannibalizes the brand. I don’t feel like there are many people out there who were like I’m NEVER drinking Mountain Dew but I’ll sure as heck try a Mountain Dew Code Red.
I understand that studies have shown that people eat/drink more when there is variety. It's why M&M's have so many colors. (Though I get how that particular situation is a little different.) If you like, say, Mt. Dew and get tired of it at some point, or just want to have/try something different, you'd be more likely to try a different version of it if there was one, rather than switch to a competing product. And if there wasn't another version, you'd be likely to try a competing product and possibly stick with it. The variety keeps customers that way.

But all the evidence you really need is the mere fact that so many companies do it with so many products. If it only cannibalized their own product and added nothing to the bottom line (while increasing production line costs), they wouldn't do it! But they do. And they keep doing it. That shows they have found it works.
Is this why we have 500 choices on the toothpaste aisle? :lol:
Cynthia
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

CPJohnson wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:56 pm Is this why we have 500 choices on the toothpaste aisle? :lol:
Yes.

Crest.com

"CREST" TOOTHPASTE - well over 100 offerings under the name of Crest:
  • GUM HEALTH - 14 distinct offerings
  • WHITENING - 35 distinct offerings
  • KIDS - 17 distinct offerings
  • ALL AROUND PROTECTION - 17 distinct offerings
  • SENSITIVITY - 9 distinct offerings
  • ENAMEL - 4 distinct offerings
  • CLEAN + FRESHEN - 11 distinct offerings
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

I'm going to finish the weekend with Isaac. I got the grid done Thursday night, but haven't been enlightened in the days since! I can wait for the head-slapping moment when i read the solution tomorrow morning! 🤦
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:15 pm
CPJohnson wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:56 pm Is this why we have 500 choices on the toothpaste aisle? :lol:
Yes.

Crest.com

"CREST" TOOTHPASTE - well over 100 offerings under the name of Crest:
  • GUM HEALTH - 14 distinct offerings
  • WHITENING - 35 distinct offerings
  • KIDS - 17 distinct offerings
  • ALL AROUND PROTECTION - 17 distinct offerings
  • SENSITIVITY - 9 distinct offerings
  • ENAMEL - 4 distinct offerings
  • CLEAN + FRESHEN - 11 distinct offerings
And if you look at the label of the different offerings from the same brand, most of them have the exact same ingredients. I guess some of the specialty ones are slightly different, but most are the same.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Out of the orlop deck and on shore.
I was one letter away from making the id.
Thanks to Wendy Walker and boharr for the nudge.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Okay. I give.
Would appreciate a nudge.
Konnie
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Happy Pie Day! Lemon Meringue.
Last edited by auee89 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kevin
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Happy Pi Day! Moon.

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

I get by (and ashore) with a little help from my friends.