"Location, Location, Location" - May 24, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JJ33

Post by JJ33 »

I finished the puzzle in record time on Thursday evening but I'm still LAS on the meta. I've gone down so many rabbit holes but can't come up with a definite plausible answer. Memorial weekend may end my solving streak for this year. Maybe a Long Island Ice Tea will take me to the correct location.
Last edited by JJ33 on Sun May 26, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Bob, you can get this one.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
JJ33

Post by JJ33 »

Finally made it on shore! So simple once I seen it. I can't believe it took me almost 3 days to figure it out.
CandyB

Post by CandyB »

I think I have it! Whew!! Many rabbit holes explored on this one.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Alas, LAS !
burak

Post by burak »

I have been solving the WSJ meta for about two years now. For those who are mystified by the adjective "Gaffneyesque", that's about the amount of time when it'll start to mean something to you per my experience. (I guess you can speed up the process by solving his weekly metas, I don't know if I'll ever do that)

For the puzzle, well, it certainly helps to have a list of hints at hand. Methodical thinking helped me crack this one.
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

Completely lost at sea on this one! I know I’m chasing the wrong rabbit, but once you’re down a rabbit hole, it’s tough to see anything else. I haven’t given up hope yet, and I think I ought to just follow every “maybe” I can come up with and see if something pans out.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

I am on A shore. Not feeling 100%..But, I can defend the course that I took to land. 🤷‍♀️
Konnie
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

KDubs wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:46 pm Completely lost at sea on this one! I know I’m chasing the wrong rabbit, but once you’re down a rabbit hole, it’s tough to see anything else. I haven’t given up hope yet, and I think I ought to just follow every “maybe” I can come up with and see if something pans out.
The worst thing for me is a very promising but wrong rabbit hole that I find quickly.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:26 pm
KDubs wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:46 pm Completely lost at sea on this one! I know I’m chasing the wrong rabbit, but once you’re down a rabbit hole, it’s tough to see anything else. I haven’t given up hope yet, and I think I ought to just follow every “maybe” I can come up with and see if something pans out.
The worst thing for me is a very promising but wrong rabbit hole that I find quickly.
I completely agree! It’s so hard to stray from it even after it doesn’t prove fruitful! Speaking of fruit — another fruity cocktail for me, please, Isaac!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I have now gone completely insane over this one. I’m taking solace from the fact that Bob hasn’t gotten it yet either - though I do wish you the best. Congrats to all who can rest for the remainder of the holiday weekend!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

If don't see something in the first moments after I complete the grid -- not the answer necessarily, but step one -- it's a pretty good bet that I'm not going to find it. This is one of those times.
ALS

Post by ALS »

Still lost. It seems so obvious to those who got it but I'm not seeing it. Not even post enlightenment helped.

ALS
KayW

Post by KayW »

Isaac is cutting me off so I'm calling it a weekend. I have two lame non-Gaffneyesque answers to choose from that would be correct only by sheer dumb luck. But since this week I'd have slightly better odds than a Kentucky Derby winner of being right, around 10 pm I am going to toss a coin and submit one of them. Barring post-enlightenment of course.

Wanna bet that if the correct answer is one of my two, I pick the wrong one? ;)

For the records, I am still counting myself LAS.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
sheilaco

Post by sheilaco »

I think I finally have it (with a few nudges).
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Lost at sea. Drats. Been doing well last several weeks.
Well, 1/50 chance right?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Final count including those who rolled a 49 sided die and made a submission is 24 on the ship and 50 on the shore. This may be a Kas 4 week

Emerging on the ship for the week are
Guy
Bird
Commodore
and kdubs

Claiming victory or throwing a Hail Mary are
31 Down
Candy B
jj33
Diane A
Sheila
Jennifer
and ImOnToo

Last time I was in this position the airport was Logan which I have flown in and out of probably a thousand times. Maybe I will take the same approach.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Just over an hour to go. Still LAS.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:03 pm Final count including those who rolled a 49 sided die and made a submission is 24 on the ship and 50 on the shore. This may be a Kas 4 week

Emerging on the ship for the week are
Guy
Bird
Commodore
and kdubs

Claiming victory or throwing a Hail Mary are
31 Down
Candy B
jj33
Diane A
Sheila
Jennifer
and ImOnToo

Last time I was in this position the airport was Logan which I have flown in and out of probably a thousand times. Maybe I will take the same approach.

Bob, it's late so I will resist possible infraction of spoiler rules.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Super late start, but a quick ship to shore for me, after I reviewed comments.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald