"Overlaps" - March 5, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

LadyBird wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:58 am For all you Guinness lovers out there....

I just finished reading a Lord Peter Wimsey novel (Murder Must Advertise) and was reading the biography of the author, Dorothy Sayers. One of her other professions was working as a copywriter for a London advertising firm. One of her popular campaigns was the animal-themed Guiness advertisements.
OOOHHH ... I love the Dorothy L. Sayers books. There's an old PBS series of a few of them with Ian Carmichael as Lord Peter and a newer series with a few more with Edward Petherbridge in the title role; both are a real treat.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore quickly. I found it easy but perhaps that was because of the medium I used to do the puzzle.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning Muggles

it is always fun to have a different constructor of these metas. I have nothing but admiration to anyone who can conceive of a meta and then implement it into a crossword grid.

We do have our newest muggle - Orangecane.

This week we have 4 keeping Isaac company and 177 on the shore. And let me put in a plug for Joe Ross's Excel files. This meta especially is much easier using the the file you can download on post #11.

Our ship's contingent keeping Isaac in business are

Tom Wi
flyingMoose
seans
beccacollins

and our crowded shore includes

Kay
Wendy
Joe R
Mike H
sanmilton
ajk
Larrry
Jim and Anita
stmv
the Beths (TAC)
Chris
damefox
mbryant
Tmart
fuggedabowdit
Amanda Hugginkiss
MatthewL
David K
Dannyvee
JimJim
scraps
dplass
RobM
CallMeShane
fstadler
M and M
Dan A
Devilbunny
Tripod
Commodore
docison
Squirrelly718
Darryl
ladybird
mattythewsjpuzzler
Moi
tim1217
oldjudge
Cindy
Andrew B
Jeremy
Glyn
minimuggle
Lyman
LittleGood
Richard
ImOnToo
802puzzler
Steveb
sharkicicles
Scott L
KRM
boharr
Scott M
Meg
Jace54
ky-mike
edot
Bob Kerfuffle
Tina
Prozach
Franklin
jhseeman
Rita and George
sf592000
adodz
Orangecane
C=64
Alan H
joequavis
Tom Mueller
Tom S
Mister Squawk
otlaolap
RDaleHall
Joepickett
TPS
dudeski
cbarbee
mitchel674
rosiegirl
William
Brian M
Laura
Bill
BrennerTJ
whimsy
Eric P
HeadinHome
Trey and Marion
Kas
TeamDoubleTow
escapeartist
lbary
Hidden in 3D
Frank
hissongle
seahawks seashanty
awalk1
Sean
Schmeel
John B
JaneGummy
Guy L
LaurenB
higgysue
MajorDomoTom
martimeryard
dk letter
NuYear68
Joseph McGrath
Ruthmary Wein
Gerry
Jack
Al
D B Miller
Omnibus
Plymouth Rock
SusieG
Susan G
PQ63
Jackie88
KscX
copperriver
auee89
JennyByrd
Kris Zacharias
Fred F
michaelm
jrdad
joe
Crest
JeanneC
madhatter5
EmilyW
Janet P
Diane
Henry Paul
Peter L
Dennis
Olaf
BigRedBob
Billy M
Georgeall
Lee-Ann
streroto
yourpalsal
Homer
SewYoung
joes
WSJosh
Janet
iggystan
Jaclyn
DrTom
Ed S
shalmanezer
cpelster
Kevan
spotter
Notbitter
EVJ
Thurman8er
Dave C
bread-girl
Debbie
Grover
tigerfly222
ardentgailla
Fred
Powers2020
BreeZynCO
Natalie
Gman
MaineMarge
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

On shore! Nice puzzle with fun little connections between the title and the answer and the title and the grid construction. Is this a new constructor? The name is not familiar, but hope to see more! Also agree about Dorothy Sayers! The books and the TV films both entertaining. Can also recommend mystery writers Josephine Tey and Martha Grimes.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Annabelle wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:58 am On shore! Nice puzzle with fun little connections between the title and the answer and the title and the grid construction. Is this a new constructor? The name is not familiar, but hope to see more! Also agree about Dorothy Sayers! The books and the TV films both entertaining. Can also recommend mystery writers Josephine Tey and Martha Grimes.
From Post 152:
An interesting contest from Joanne Sullivan who, if memory serves me correctly from last year, works for Mike Shenk and he encouraged her to do her first meta a year ago. This is a worthy followon - well constructed and interesting.
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Ashore, would have made the Saturday noon roll call if I hadn't been scrolling through all the posts. Echoing other comments, the grid was challenging and required some internet searching, buy once it was done I thought the meta was very clever and elegant. Thanks to Joanne!

Does anyone still get news from 16A?
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Where mutations begin to converge
Like a virus, the beach may emerge
So I think it’s not rash
To announce a news flash
That this week again solvers will surge

On the rocky shore again this morning before finishing the grid and spent more time constructing the rhyme than on the grid and the meta combined. Can you tell that I received my second vaccine 💉 this week? Cheers! 😉
Last edited by Limerick Savant on Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:54 am Good Saturday morning Muggles

it is always fun to have a different constructor of these metas. I have nothing but admiration to anyone who can conceive of a meta and then implement it into a crossword grid.

This week we have 4 keeping Isaac company and 177 on the shore. And let me put in a plug for Joe Ross's Excel files. This meta especially is much easier using the the file you can download on post #11.

I'm ashore, Bob....post 96.
Cynthia
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

CPJohnson wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:17 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:54 am Good Saturday morning Muggles

I'm ashore, Bob....post 96.
sorry I missed you
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

eagle1279 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:08 pm Ashore, would have made the Saturday noon roll call if I hadn't been scrolling through all the posts. Echoing other comments, the grid was challenging and required some internet searching, buy once it was done I thought the meta was very clever and elegant. Thanks to Joanne!

Does anyone still get news from 16A?
I do when I'm driving!
Heidi
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

I solved but maybe Not as elegant as usual to me. Maybe on wrong island?
ReB

Post by ReB »

On shore. Very straightforward once I completed the grid and turned my attention to the meta. Nice twist.

The answer is very apt for a scheduled activity of mine next week...Tune in to the Tuesday Muggles meetup...
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Ashore last night, didn’t get around to posting until now.
I saw the mechanism pretty early on while I was working on the grid.
Went on and completed the grid, then was able to confirm the mechanism and finish the meta in just a minute or two. As a few others have mentioned, I usually solve online but typically need to work on the meta with the grid filled out on a printed copy. This week was easy for me to look at and solve just looking at my iPad version.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Forgot to post last night when "the team" got together: On shore.

As with others, grid was difficult, though not impossible. Meta a little too easy. Daughter saw start of mechanism quickly. As is our tradition, though, we finished the grid before solving the meta.

I never got a chance to even look for the meta. Daughter had the answer immediately, while I was still taking a screen shot (iPad WSJ app for puzzle to put into the notepad app where I can use multi-colored highlighters). Son agreed immediately with daughter while dad was still fumbling with his iPad.

I like to think they are now really good at these because of all I taught them....

(Need a drink, stat, before someone bursts that bubble...)
cinemagical

Post by cinemagical »

I'm ashore.

But also skeptical because the meta seemed too easy. Could I be missing a step? I guess I'll find out in a few days.
~ Adam 8-)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Our ship's contingent keeping Isaac in business are

Tom Wi
flyingMoose
seans
beccacollins

and our crowded shore includes
... many many names...
Did you miss me? "Search" is not finding my name on the list, but there are too many to be confident I'm not really there with a typo.
diplomatt

Post by diplomatt »

On the beach!
maprasad

Post by maprasad »

On shore. Easier than last week. Anyone know when they are ramping up again? Sorry if it missed it in the thread, crowded beach!
khanthedane

Post by khanthedane »

On shore with a nice glass of limoncello. Cheers!
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

I'm a newbie - been doing MMMM for over a year but just starting the WSJ. Feeling rather clueless as I am definitely *not* on shore at all.....
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D