"Overlaps" - March 5, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:38 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:54 am Good Saturday morning Muggles

it is always fun to have a different constructor of these metas. I have nothing but admiration to anyone who can conceive of a meta and then implement it into a crossword grid.

We do have our newest muggle - Orangecane.

This week we have 4 keeping Isaac company and 177 on the shore. And let me put in a plug for Joe Ross's Excel files. This meta especially is much easier using the the file you can download on post #11.

Our ship's contingent keeping Isaac in business are

Tom Wi
flyingMoose
seans
beccacollins

and our crowded shore includes
... many many names...
Did you miss me? "Search" is not finding my name on the list, but there are too many to be confident I'm not really there with a typo.
That is three that I missed in the comments. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

MamaE wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:39 pm I'm a newbie - been doing MMMM for over a year but just starting the WSJ. Feeling rather clueless as I am definitely *not* on shore at all.....
Send me a PM with what you did and where you are struggling and I can give you a nudge
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

I’m ashore! Struggled for a while a sea, getting tossed to and fro by the waves ( aka rabbit trails) but finally had my “aha” moment when I cleared the decks and started a fresh!! In hindsight, it is pretty easy but I’m a newbie...
wb93

Post by wb93 »

Made it to shore. Both puzzle-wise and for a week of vacation!

I’ve been on a roll for several months now, but struggled mightily on this one. Kudos to the constructor on a nice puzzle overall. Domo arigato.
TheCatt

Post by TheCatt »

Onshore, but we needed a nudge this week.
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

Count me onshore with everyone else. Nice to see a new name even if it was pretty easy.
Matt / Flamingbear
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Hooray! Thanks to a nudge from the cruise director, this newbie is on shore!! Here's hoping that next week I can do it without the nudge!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

LadyBird wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:58 am For all you Guinness lovers out there....

I just finished reading a Lord Peter Wimsey novel (Murder Must Advertise) and was reading the biography of the author, Dorothy Sayers. One of her other professions was working as a copywriter for a London advertising firm. One of her popular campaigns was the animal-themed Guiness advertisements.
Did she do this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rbxBHoNJdY

Kind of personal for me, even if it isn't real. A friend of mine actually went there on an Ireland trip.
Rufus T. Firefly
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:11 am
debbierudy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:30 am Ashore, with coffee in hand and toes literally in the sand. My only worry about coming to the Florida Keys was how to get this puzzle printed - easily solved by a nice lady in the hotel office who is also a crossword fan. A manatee almost upended our kayak - glad they are herbivores!
Are you getting her addicted to metas and ready to become a muggle?
We discussed this and she mentioned that the Miami Herald also has a meta on Sundays to which she is hooked. I was happy to hear of our commonality and therefore accepted her devotion to the Miami Herald (knowing full well that our muggles group is the best!)
Colin

Post by Colin »

Ashore! I am here!
Here on the beach with a beer.
Beer led me ashore!
One world. One planet. One future.
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

First time for me to solve the meta before finishing the grid. Quick swim to shore. G&T for me!
TomAndDenise

Post by TomAndDenise »

Denise and I met up this week on the beach. In like a lamb.
Tom and Denise Greaves
North Andover, Massachusetts
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

debbierudy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:32 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:11 am
debbierudy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:30 am Ashore, with coffee in hand and toes literally in the sand. My only worry about coming to the Florida Keys was how to get this puzzle printed - easily solved by a nice lady in the hotel office who is also a crossword fan. A manatee almost upended our kayak - glad they are herbivores!
Are you getting her addicted to metas and ready to become a muggle?
We discussed this and she mentioned that the Miami Herald also has a meta on Sundays to which she is hooked. I was happy to hear of our commonality and therefore accepted her devotion to the Miami Herald (knowing full well that our muggles group is the best!)
have her give us a test drive for a few weeks

no charge
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Ashore. Margarita, please.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

DrTom wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:43 pm But as I said today in the hospital when a patient threw a bottle of high potency Omega 3 capsules at me, at least the wounds were super fish oil. :D
https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2021/03/03 (But I enjoyed the groan.)
Michelle B

Post by Michelle B »

On shore with a bottle of Bartenura Malvasia di Casorzo. Anyone want a glass?
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

On shore, I believe, but I'm pretty new at this. Do you get feedback when you submit your answer, or if I want to check it should I PM someone here?
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Late to the party but happily on shore!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Mulligan wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:06 pm On shore, I believe, but I'm pretty new at this. Do you get feedback when you submit your answer, or if I want to check it should I PM someone here?
No feedback, but you always PM any of the people who claim to be on shore. We'll all answer you, after all, it's not like you can change what you've submitted.
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Ashore. Feeling oh so smart these last five weeks...