"Chemical Change" - February 26, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Scraps wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:18 pm
Jeremy Smith wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:52 pm
Scraps wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:52 pm

According to my log, Sea Tiger was a 107-foot dive. He's lucky to be alive after that uncontrolled breath-holding ascent. Glad he survived.

Normally, unexpected visitors on the boat are a source of light humor. I've never seen it paid off, but it's often joked about among dive masters that if one of your divers ascends the wrong line and ends up on the wrong boat, you owe the crew of that boat a case of beer. But your situation was not a joke.

We don't have many deep sites in my part of Florida. I'm taking a group on a three-tank dive to two wrecks this weekend: twenty miles offshore, and it's still less than 100'.
Twenty miles offshore in my part of Florida the gulf is only about 20’ deep (about 40 miles north of St. Pete). The only gulf diving I’ve done is offshore of Venice looking for megalodon teeth. It was a 20’ dive, but only half-mile offshore. I much prefer diving springs and sinkholes over diving the gulf in this area.
Sounds like you’re up somewhere between Hudson and Crystal River. No, there isn’t much offshore diving up there.I’ve tried. Shallow and no vis.

Visibility was good today off Pinellas. Seas were less than two feet, but there was a heavy surface current—I had to get a line in the divers’ hands as soon as they splashed or they’d have been washed down current and never found the sites. Luckily, the current was more manageable at depth. I didn’t have to tow anyone.

Today wasn’t a fishing trip—we had photographers and sight seers aboard today. All were competent divers: we required advanced open water and Nitrox certs for today’s run. They saw a lot of nice fish. Big Goliath grouper at one of the wrecks. Lots of amberjacks, a bunch of legal-size (though out of season) gags, snapper, spade fish. Water temp is up to 65 from 60 a month ago. Good day.

Come on down when you want to see fish, or let me know when you’re heading to Venice for shark teeth.
Sounds like you had a decent dive today.
Yeah, I’m right around the Hernando Beach area, and vis is terrible and the water is shallow. We have an artificial reef about 20 miles offshore consisting of sunken military tanks 20’ deep. Very unexciting.
This is a picture of my wife and I on one of my favorite dives at Stuart Cove’s in Nassau.
Attachments
BAECFEFF-9639-4B8C-A2B2-36C04FDAD793.jpeg
anaerobe

Post by anaerobe »

This one reminded me of a beloved Prof. from grad. school: Paul Skierkowski. Purple heart, bronze star, radiation safety officer (U of OK), a true teacher, and proud Pole. He was even prouder that he shared that heritage with Marie Curie (nee Slodowska). RIP Dr. Skierkowski.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

I just got the email!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woooooo-hoooo I am literally jumping for joy.

Stay well all!!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:13 am
Scraps wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:18 pm
Jeremy Smith wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:52 pm

Twenty miles offshore in my part of Florida the gulf is only about 20’ deep (about 40 miles north of St. Pete). The only gulf diving I’ve done is offshore of Venice looking for megalodon teeth. It was a 20’ dive, but only half-mile offshore. I much prefer diving springs and sinkholes over diving the gulf in this area.
Sounds like you’re up somewhere between Hudson and Crystal River. No, there isn’t much offshore diving up there.I’ve tried. Shallow and no vis.

Visibility was good today off Pinellas. Seas were less than two feet, but there was a heavy surface current—I had to get a line in the divers’ hands as soon as they splashed or they’d have been washed down current and never found the sites. Luckily, the current was more manageable at depth. I didn’t have to tow anyone.

Today wasn’t a fishing trip—we had photographers and sight seers aboard today. All were competent divers: we required advanced open water and Nitrox certs for today’s run. They saw a lot of nice fish. Big Goliath grouper at one of the wrecks. Lots of amberjacks, a bunch of legal-size (though out of season) gags, snapper, spade fish. Water temp is up to 65 from 60 a month ago. Good day.

Come on down when you want to see fish, or let me know when you’re heading to Venice for shark teeth.
Sounds like you had a decent dive today.
Yeah, I’m right around the Hernando Beach area, and vis is terrible and the water is shallow. We have an artificial reef about 20 miles offshore consisting of sunken military tanks 20’ deep. Very unexciting.
This is a picture of my wife and I on one of my favorite dives at Stuart Cove’s in Nassau.
My son and I did our open water there many years ago. They are an amazing operation.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I was looking forward to passing these along, but only solvers requested.

Nudge: 💅

Shove: Image

Spoiler: Big Bang Pictionary
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:48 am I was looking forward to passing these along, but only solvers requested.

Nudge: 💅

Shove: Image

Spoiler: Big Bang Pictionary
Brilliant! But I think you have your labels in reverse order! 😂
One world. One planet. One future.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Hello and thanks to all for another blockbuster week! We had 3488 submissions, hovering way up close to our record earlier this month. Fully 95% were correct (counting all the CURIEs, M.CURIE's, MME. CURIE's as well as the full name... though not counting one entry with PIERRE CURIE)--way above our usual 75% batting average. As you may have seen, we are devoting February to more accessible contests to try and broaden our ranks and lure newcomers--March may not be quite as merciful, but we hope you'll stick with us.

Congrats to this week's winner, Scott Trerotola of Newtown Square, PA!
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

Hi,

I was happy to see Mme. Curie as this week’s solution. I’ll give a plug for the Musée Curie in Paris; had the good fortune to see it in the ‘before times.’ The museum is in her laboratory building, and includes her office (pictured here). It covers the amazing story of her and her family. A nice slice of science history in a quiet corner of an incredible city.

Cheers,
Attachments
EFB48A5E-FD57-4F03-B83D-17497BF11237.jpeg
385E6F61-5A75-4610-91B0-C95DA08BD186.jpeg
Colin

Post by Colin »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:06 pm Fully 95% were correct (counting all the CURIEs, M.CURIE's, MME. CURIE's as well as the full name...
Wait. So now our email subject line only has to be approximately correct? In this week’s case, solving the meta leads to ALL letters in “MARIE CURIE” ... surely any variants would normally be incorrect? Or is this leniency just for Feb as we encourage new solvers ?
One world. One planet. One future.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Colin wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:40 pm
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:06 pm Fully 95% were correct (counting all the CURIEs, M.CURIE's, MME. CURIE's as well as the full name...
Wait. So now our email subject line only has to be approximately correct? In this week’s case, solving the meta leads to ALL letters in “MARIE CURIE” ... surely any variants would normally be incorrect? Or is this leniency just for Feb as we encourage new solvers ?
Good questions!

Sure, anyone could have guessed Marie Curie. But guessing "Curie" or "Mme. Curie" is far more likely to be just a guess. While "Marie Curie" at least has a higher chance that the solver actually solved/saw the mechanism. And "Curie" might indicate the solver saw the mechanism, but missed half of it. (Which would be like counting everyone who got Pageant-ed.)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Gotcha covered:

Who wants & how many? Taking orders throughout March. :P
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:06 pm Hello and thanks to all for another blockbuster week! We had 3488 submissions, hovering way up close to our record earlier this month. Fully 95% were correct (counting all the CURIEs, M.CURIE's, MME. CURIE's as well as the full name... though not counting one entry with PIERRE CURIE)--way above our usual 75% batting average. As you may have seen, we are devoting February to more accessible contests to try and broaden our ranks and lure newcomers--March may not be quite as merciful, but we hope you'll stick with us.

Congrats to this week's winner, Scott Trerotola of Newtown Square, PA!
So with all these records set over the past five weeks, the plan is to lower the mound, deaden the ball and put all the records in Cooperstown with footnotes???

And congratulations to our muggle streroto
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

lacangah wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:16 pm Hi,

I was happy to see Mme. Curie as this week’s solution. I’ll give a plug for the Musée Curie in Paris; had the good fortune to see it in the ‘before times.’ The museum is in her laboratory building, and includes her office (pictured here). It covers the amazing story of her and her family. A nice slice of science history in a quiet corner of an incredible city.

Cheers,
Were you required to wear a dosimeter? I mean radium has a 1600 year half life and decays to radon, which is no bargain either. :ugeek:
Rufus T. Firefly
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:59 pm Gotcha covered:

Who wants & how many? Taking orders throughout March. :P
Will it be shipped in a plain box with no markings?

Asking for a friend.
Rufus T. Firefly
DianeA

Post by DianeA »

Streroto wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:30 am I just got the email!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woooooo-hoooo I am literally jumping for joy.

Stay well all!!
Congrats! Glad i checked here, first. Now i won't bother checking my spam folder.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

HunterX wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:49 pm
Colin wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:40 pm
Good questions!

Sure, anyone could have guessed Marie Curie. But guessing "Curie" or "Mme. Curie" is far more likely to be just a guess. While "Marie Curie" at least has a higher chance that the solver actually solved/saw the mechanism. And "Curie" might indicate the solver saw the mechanism, but missed half of it. (Which would be like counting everyone who got Pageant-ed.)
"So, Tony, we have the officials going under the hood again. What did you see, Gene Steratore?"
"Well, Jim, what we have here is clearly a failure to communicate. Thus, the ruling on the field is overturned and the Commodore's half-submission of "Curie" in the form of a Hail Mary is accepted. Also, the New Orleans Saints are automatically eliminated from SuperBowl contention for another 5 years."
Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 3.27.10 PM.png
<Cut to additional Jake-from-State-Farm advertising....>
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

[quote=Streroto post_id=47419 time=1614612658 user_id=373]
I just got the email!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woooooo-hoooo I am literally jumping for joy.

Stay well all!!

Congratulations, Scott. Been trying for one of these forever. Particularly glad to see a Newtown Square person nab one. I graduated from The Ellis School--changed a tad since I was there. In any case, seeing Newtown Square made it especially nice today. Enjoy!!
Janet

Post by Janet »

Streroto wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:30 am I just got the email!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woooooo-hoooo I am literally jumping for joy.

Stay well all!!
Woo hoo! Congratulations!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Stay well all!!
Congratulations!!!

I had the same feeling this morning -- that lasted all of 3 seconds :lol: I too received an email from Contest, Crosswords (Mike Miller). But alas no mug news in mine.

It was still pretty nice to receive, and thoughtful of him to send... (Throughout the pandemic, I've been adding to my submissions a brief statement of appreciation to the WSJ staff for continuing to publish the puzzles, and he was acknowledging it.)

So at least now I know my submissions are not going into some cyber-void dead letter office! Or anyway, this week's did not.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

The one benefit of these super-easy metas (besides extending my solve streak) is that I have had the time to check out some of the other metas on this site. I've solved a few of the Pandora's Blocks now. And I've seen how clever our own Muggles are in the "Muggle Meta Mondays" section (well, I already knew that they were clever and witty). And MEOW is keeping me humble as I didn't figure out last week and this week isn't looking so good either.

But I do hope that the WSJ ones get more difficult and quickly--I hope that I don't regret saying that! And that they only count the completely correct answer. As Frank Robinson said, "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades."

And for a random picture. I volunteer on Mondays at a Wildlife Hospital. One of my young snapping turtles went rogue. We were crawling around on the floor looking under cages and shelves. And then we found him climbing (!) the side of one of the flight cages.
Rouge Snapper.jpg