"Chemical Change" - February 26, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
cpelster

Post by cpelster »

Ashore!
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

Onshore.
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

What if this puzzle is a pageant in disguise?
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:08 am
LadyBird wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:26 pm On shore!

Woo-HOO! I have lanDED on shore after eMERGing from the icy waters. I saw the mechanism for the ANSwer partway through the grid and quickly got to work. Careful as you come ashore--I fear that the record crowds over the past few weeks might be leading to some beach ERosion and the footing is a little unsteady. I'll have a flashback to college days and have a hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps.
I always look forward to "hoodie" visits! They usually fly in for a day or two to dive and feast on all the small fish and crayfish in the lake (which is teeming with fish of all sizes because there are no boats, fishing or swimming allowed). I was happy to see (and report) three on the first day of the GBBC.
You had a more exciting Great Backyard Bird Count than I did! The weather here was hideous so I didn't travel anywhere to count--so it was truly a yard count. Although my feeders are in the front yard, not the backyard. I had my sweet regulars but nothing out of the ordinary. A Red-breasted Nuthatch had made a brief appearance earlier but not during the count.
TheCatt

Post by TheCatt »

Onshore.
Billy M

Post by Billy M »

Plymouthrock wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:55 pm What if this puzzle is a pageant in disguise?
I'm thinking we're due for a good pageanting in muggle land. After solving some simpler metas over the last month, we'll all kind of be in that mindset and think we have the answer easily. Then all of the sudden we missed that all important next step. There will be an answer that's amiable and makes sense, but there will be another step where the real answer lies.
TomAndDenise

Post by TomAndDenise »

Denise and I are ashore. Solving this was our postprandial treat tonight.
Tom and Denise Greaves
North Andover, Massachusetts
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

It's been a busy few days, but wanted to stop by and be sure I posted that I was on shore. Had to be reminded when looking at a partial solve that Gaffney can be counted on to be symmetrical.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Commodore wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:01 am Confound it! Knew this would happen this month. Brain cramp won't let me escape this rabbit hole:
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 9.38.27 AM.png
Never figured Al to be a 'metal' guy. Must be his alter ego.
Rufus T. Firefly
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday evening muggles

Our final count is 230 on the ship. Next week may bring a greater challenge but we will find out on Thursday

Welcome to all our new muggles over the past month. We are now 875 strong.

Good luck to all winning the mug and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Ashore! Good one!
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:52 pm
Scraps wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:52 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:30 pm
Our excitement (other than the wreck) was an unexpected visitor on our boat when we surfaced. There were two boats diving there and the other guys had a less than experienced guy who panicked, made an uncontrolled ascent, AND held his breath. Not a pretty sight, but he survived. Not really coherent when he surfaced and spit a little blood. Our boat was closest to him and picked him up. First time I'd heard an emergency recall beacon sounding under water. I can do without hearing it again. To add to the intrigue, I found out why my shop switched me to a different boat for this dive. The original boat sank last weekend. Salvageable, but needs some work. It was full returning to the harbor and took on water. Glad I wasn't on that one either!

My friend is coming in a couple of weeks to get his advanced open water cert, so I'll be back to the sea tiger when they check him out. Going to do the YO-257(?) the same day. Getting up early is rough for me, but the increased quality of the deep dives here makes it worth the trouble. And it sure beats work.

According to my log, Sea Tiger was a 107-foot dive. He's lucky to be alive after that uncontrolled breath-holding ascent. Glad he survived.

Normally, unexpected visitors on the boat are a source of light humor. I've never seen it paid off, but it's often joked about among dive masters that if one of your divers ascends the wrong line and ends up on the wrong boat, you owe the crew of that boat a case of beer. But your situation was not a joke.

We don't have many deep sites in my part of Florida. I'm taking a group on a three-tank dive to two wrecks this weekend: twenty miles offshore, and it's still less than 100'.
Twenty miles offshore in my part of Florida the gulf is only about 20’ deep (about 40 miles north of St. Pete). The only gulf diving I’ve done is offshore of Venice looking for megalodon teeth. It was a 20’ dive, but only half-mile offshore. I much prefer diving springs and sinkholes over diving the gulf in this area.
Sounds like you’re up somewhere between Hudson and Crystal River. No, there isn’t much offshore diving up there.I’ve tried. Shallow and no vis.

Visibility was good today off Pinellas. Seas were less than two feet, but there was a heavy surface current—I had to get a line in the divers’ hands as soon as they splashed or they’d have been washed down current and never found the sites. Luckily, the current was more manageable at depth. I didn’t have to tow anyone.

Today wasn’t a fishing trip—we had photographers and sight seers aboard today. All were competent divers: we required advanced open water and Nitrox certs for today’s run. They saw a lot of nice fish. Big Goliath grouper at one of the wrecks. Lots of amberjacks, a bunch of legal-size (though out of season) gags, snapper, spade fish. Water temp is up to 65 from 60 a month ago. Good day.

Come on down when you want to see fish, or let me know when you’re heading to Venice for shark teeth.
Notbitter

Post by Notbitter »

Late start. On shore.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:57 pm Good Sunday evening muggles

Our final count is 230 on the ship. Next week may bring a greater challenge but we will find out on Thursday

Welcome to all our new muggles over the past month. We are now 875 strong.

Good luck to all winning the mug and stay safe
I sure hope you mean on shore. Otherwise, Isaac might run out of booze.
femullen

Post by femullen »

Ashore, f'shore.

Elementary, my dear Watson. Not that I think these things simple.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

On shore at Alchemy Island. Next week the fun begins again.
Kevan

Post by Kevan »

Got a very late start this week but made it to shore just in time. (Thank you, Mr. Gaffney, for the easy puzzle!)
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Waiting for the puzzle solution to drop

- curious if I got it right?
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20210226 WSJCC Chemical Change.png
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Chemical Change.png
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024