"In Character" - February 19, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:56 pm
DrTom wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:28 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:39 pm

smoked pork from the company of a former Iranian ruler (Shah’s Ham)
<snip>
There are more superheroes than you can imagine or makes puns on who have never seen the light of day, or should I say never seen the light of Ben-Day? They languish, locked in the vaults of DC, Marvel, et al. NPR's Planet Money podcast had an episode recently where they tried to buy the rights to DoorMan -- yes, that's a superhero, for realz. It's worth a listen. https://www.npr.org/2021/02/19/96951223 ... o-loophole
Shameless plug for Ahoy comics: https://comicsahoy.com/ A couple of guys I know are involved.

They have some great 'non-standard' superheroes. A lot of humor and great ink. "Expect More"
Rufus T. Firefly
DianeA

Post by DianeA »

Waiting for someone else to comment on the nice work of clue construction with "illbethere" for Beth. i kept reading it as "ill Beth", which of course, she was.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

DianeA wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:16 am Waiting for someone else to comment on the nice work of clue construction with "illbethere" for Beth. i kept reading it as "ill Beth", which of course, she was.
Had not thought of that until right now. It was a good, if not terribly hard puzzle. I liked it a lot better than the MGWCC this week. About as intuitive as string theory (and my theory on that is that there is always more than you need unless you actually need it).
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
TPS

Post by TPS »

Looks like there was a secret puzzle in Mars rover Perseverance‘s parachute created by a crossword fan in the JPL - this would have been a never for me!

Maybe someone longing for a harder puzzle after this “easy” month for the WSJCC might want to take a stab - don’t click the link if you do as it contains the answer.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mars-rovers- ... 36340.html
26B95D09-45BE-4534-A270-5B71629EABFE.jpeg
BethA

Post by BethA »

I’m not much of a Zoomer, but finally got around to checking out last night’s MUGgle Zoom meeting. Enjoyed seeing everyone, and seeing what it was like!

I don’t do the MGWCC and haven’t tried any MUGgle-created puzzles, so didn’t have anything to say about that. I have taken up the challenge of doing the WSJ variety puzzle every week. I’m at 100% so far on those. The cryptics are the biggest challenge!

Hey, it’s almost Thursday! Good!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BethA wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:14 am I’m not much of a Zoomer, but finally got around to checking out last night’s MUGgle Zoom meeting. Enjoyed seeing everyone, and seeing what it was like!

I don’t do the MGWCC and haven’t tried any MUGgle-created puzzles, so didn’t have anything to say about that. I have taken up the challenge of doing the WSJ variety puzzle every week. I’m at 100% so far on those. The cryptics are the biggest challenge!

It was great to have you there. Much of the discussion is on some of these other puzzles. The Monday Muggle Meta's are good because they are created by one of us and have some muggle related clues in them most weeks. There are enough of these puzzles around that each of us has to draw the line somwhere.

Now we need some action shots of you sledding down the hill
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Hey muggles

How come one of us did not pick up on this

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nasa-mars- ... nary-code/
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:37 am Hey muggles

I think it was TPS who did. It went over my head. Parachute... over my head... Fine, I'll let myself out.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BethA wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:14 am I’m not much of a Zoomer, but finally got around to checking out last night’s MUGgle Zoom meeting. Enjoyed seeing everyone, and seeing what it was like!

It was nice meeting you... don't be a stranger!
TPS

Post by TPS »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:44 am

I think it was TPS who did. It went over my head. Parachute... over my head... Fine, I'll let myself out.
Just to be clear - I picked up on the story - I certainly didn’t solve the puzzle or would I ever think there would be a hidden message on the underside of a parachute but even if I did I never would have put it together what it meant. We have some folks on here that maybe have that in their skill set.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

TPS wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:41 pm

Just to be clear - I picked up on the story - I certainly didn’t solve the puzzle or would I ever think there would be a hidden message on the underside of a parachute but even if I did I never would have put it together what it meant. We have some folks on here that maybe have that in their skill set.
A few of us formed a team on three of Foggy Brume's "Puzzle Boats," and some of his (ingenious) puzzles involved codes, and we definitely had some people on the team with that expertise. I definitely wasn't one of them.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oh don't worry we'll let you down easy....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:10 pm

Just don't 'chute until you see the white of my eyes.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:11 pm
DrTom wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:10 pm

Just don't 'chute until you see the white of my eyes.
Silky smooth reply, you sure know the ropes...and so down to earth. As for waiting til I see the whites of your eyes, I think that was a hill of bunk.
78MG

Post by 78MG »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:17 pm
martimeryard wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:09 pm Question for all:
When you submit your answer, do you get an email confirmation? I've never received one, and just want to make sure I'm actually submitting with a chance to win the coveted mug. Since I started submitting answers to the contest I started receiving targeted ads from WSJ in my email; I figured that was my "confirmation".
No you don't get a confirmation. Just remember to check your "sent" folder to make sure you submitted!
I've been submitting via the submission button that gives the popup, and there is no email to WSJ in my emai's sent folder. Am I misreading this post, or should I be concerned that the popup isn't submitting my answer and start sending my responses via email?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

78MG wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:38 pm
martimeryard wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:09 pm Question for all:
When you submit your answer, do you get an email confirmation? I've never received one, and just want to make sure I'm actually submitting with a chance to win the coveted mug. Since I started submitting answers to the contest I started receiving targeted ads from WSJ in my email; I figured that was my "confirmation".
No you don't get a confirmation. Just remember to check your "sent" folder to make sure you submitted!
I've been submitting via the submission button that gives the popup, and there is no email to WSJ in my emai's sent folder. Am I misreading this post, or should I be concerned that the popup isn't submitting my answer and start sending my responses via email?
Submit via online form or via email, with your answer in the Subject. Both ways send email messages, with answers in the Subject lines, to the WSJ Puzzle Team (crosswordcontest@wsj.com), which are treated equally.

Some send via email BECAUSE, in doing so, it has the record of being sent in the form of a copy in Sent Mail. Using the online form DOES NOT give this Sent Mail copy.

Other OCD types (me, for one) will send via email AND copy themselves, in order to have copies in their In Boxes, also.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Meg

Post by Meg »

OCD? You, Joe? Every time I make an Excel spreadsheet for the rest of my life I will think of you.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
78MG

Post by 78MG »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:19 pm
78MG wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:38 pm

Submit via online form or via email, with your answer in the Subject. Both ways send email messages, with answers in the Subject lines, to the WSJ Puzzle Team (crosswordcontest@wsj.com), which are treated equally.

Some send via email BECAUSE, in doing so, it has the record of being sent in the form of a copy in Sent Mail. Using the online form DOES NOT give this Sent Mail copy.

Other OCD types (me, for one) will send via email AND copy themselves, in order to have copies in their In Boxes, also.
Ohhh ok, thanks!
TNakagawaWSJ

Post by TNakagawaWSJ »

Hello, Muggles!

Taylor Nakagawa from WSJ here. I want to share a quick update on the technical issues some of you may be experiencing with the online version of the puzzles. We've heard from you all that some of the clues are not showing up and your answers are being deleted as you fill out the grid.

- It looks like the issue re: disappearing answers is due to security updates on Safari. We encourage anyone who's experiencing this issue to switch browsers. We've also found that opening a new window in Safari can help mitigate the issue, but it's not a perfect fix.

- The issue re: disappearing clues has been a tricky one for us, but we are running some tests to get to the bottom of this. I'll share another update when we have more to share.

Thank you and don't hesitate to reach out to puzzles@wsj.com if you run into any other technical glitches.
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

TNakagawaWSJ wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:15 pm Hello, Muggles!

Taylor Nakagawa from WSJ here. I want to share a quick update on the technical issues some of you may be experiencing with the online version of the puzzles. We've heard from you all that some of the clues are not showing up and your answers are being deleted as you fill out the grid.

- It looks like the issue re: disappearing answers is due to security updates on Safari. We encourage anyone who's experiencing this issue to switch browsers. We've also found that opening a new window in Safari can help mitigate the issue, but it's not a perfect fix.

- The issue re: disappearing clues has been a tricky one for us, but we are running some tests to get to the bottom of this. I'll share another update when we have more to share.

Thank you and don't hesitate to reach out to puzzles@wsj.com if you run into any other technical glitches.

Thanks.
Any update on when the Wednesday puzzle will be available on line?
Some of us get pretty agitated when knocked out of our settled routines.