"In Character" - February 19, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Inca

Post by Inca »

For the stats: ashore
I really appreciated that finally a meta whose "topic" was in my very, very narrow wheelhouse.
Also, I am in the almost non-existent group who is really enjoying the calm waters and the relaxing swim ashore...so pleasant, not stressful at all.
Notbitter

Post by Notbitter »

On shore.
martimeryard

Post by martimeryard »

Question for all:
When you submit your answer, do you get an email confirmation? I've never received one, and just want to make sure I'm actually submitting with a chance to win the coveted mug. Since I started submitting answers to the contest I started receiving targeted ads from WSJ in my email; I figured that was my "confirmation".
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

martimeryard wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:09 pm Question for all:
When you submit your answer, do you get an email confirmation? I've never received one, and just want to make sure I'm actually submitting with a chance to win the coveted mug. Since I started submitting answers to the contest I started receiving targeted ads from WSJ in my email; I figured that was my "confirmation".
No you don't get a confirmation. Just remember to check your "sent" folder to make sure you submitted!
Heidi
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I send in my answer via email with the subject in the title. You will not receive a confirmation. The WSJ merges the submissions from emails and from completing the contest via the on line system. They draw one submission randomly and see if it has the correct answer. If it does, they contact that person for confirmation. If the answer is not correct, they draw another one randomly until they get the right submission. They then contact the winner via email.

The submission count is the total of the various submission. I do not know how they get the percentage of correct answers nor the most common wrong answers.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:20 pm
I send in my answer via email with the subject in the title. You will not receive a confirmation. The WSJ merges the submissions from emails and from completing the contest via the on line system. They draw one submission randomly and see if it has the correct answer. If it does, they contact that person for confirmation. If the answer is not correct, they draw another one randomly until they get the right submission. They then contact the winner via email.

The submission count is the total of the various submission. I do not know how they get the percentage of correct answers nor the most common wrong answers.
Don't the rules say to submit your "ANSWER" in the subject line? That's what I do.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Joepickett wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:11 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:20 pm

Don't the rules say to submit your "ANSWER" in the subject line? That's what I do.
Yes - submit your meta answer in the subject line. My poor explanation
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Our final count is 248 on the shore.

And we have our newest muggle Matthew Glasser.

Since yesterday our shore crowd has increased by

flamingbear
Limerick
OGuyDave
zacmoretz
Cindy N
Fishoutowater
DapperDan
cpelster
phofer
Burak
Matthew Glasser
DennyB
JennyByrd
Jarrod
Jennifer
PJM
LaPetiteFlora
Inca
ricky
and Notbitter

As always when we have a record, I will check tomorrow morning to see if there any late arrivers that might push us over the 250 mark.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

I'm ashore. But it's hard to tell with all the snow on the ground!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20210219 WSJCC In Character.png
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Yep. That's about it.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

...checking my spam folder for the email from Mike Miller.

I know this is the week. That and powerball.
Rufus T. Firefly
Gman

Post by Gman »

This week will either be another KAS 1 or a KAS 5. Given that the puzzles were supposed to get harder each week of February, but they have each been super easy (other than needing to answer TRIAL JUDGE versus just JUDGE), I think it we be a straightforward solve. Alas, I feel we are being lulled into complacency.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

My beautiful copy, which my parents gave me in 1970:
Attachments
LW.jpg
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

flyingMoose wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:57 pm Done. There is a certain irony regarding this answer which, of course, will have to wait for Monday.
When a few of us were speaking last week of novels and how many times they had read them, I asked my wife, the voracious reader of the family, what that might be for her. Little Men was the answer. Although she has not read it in awhile, there was a period when she read it every year - probably some fifteen times in total.
ardentgailla

Post by ardentgailla »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:59 pm [ PLACEHOLDER FOR OFFICIAL WSJ SOLUTION ]

The official result will be published here after it is posted on https://www.wsj.com/news/puzzle

It is typically posted at 12 AM ET, Monday, unless Monday is a holiday.

AHHHH!!!! I was so close to getting it!!! I stopped Saturday, after finishing the grid, since I had an enormous amount of errands to run. Never came back to it.
Aspiring MUGgle
I don't want to be "always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth." 2 Tim 3:7
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

HunterX wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:38 pm
ImOnToo wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:28 am
PHOFER wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:52 am Ashore. I don’t mind an easy one once in awhile. But at this point I’m starting to miss the hard ones.
Ooooo! What you said!!! :lol:
I second that!

These easy ones just go too quickly. No savoring. And the Muggles end up being quieter. No one saying they struggled, or when the "A HA!" moment came to them. No one asking for or offering nudges. Everyone pretty much posts how they solved the meta before finishing the grid then spend the rest of the weekend "being productive." (Geesh!)

I can't even remember whether the cabana boy brought me my drink(s). Just remember waking up with that gritty sand feeling in my mouth, and a vague recollection that it was Friday last I checked....
Maybe the WSJ People In Charge are trying to demonstrate different types of meta mechanisms....so far, in February, we've had "sounds like" mechanism (using theme entries), a "commonalities in random grid entries" mechanism, and a "hidden words in theme entries" mechanism. The hidden words are the easiest type for me, but others think other types are easier. Anyway, I look for a fourth typical meta "type" this week. Maybe they will go to medium-difficulty metas for March.
Cynthia
anaerobe

Post by anaerobe »

Tom Shea wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:28 am ...checking my spam folder for the email from Mike Miller.

I know this is the week. That and powerball.
If the gods offer you either/or..........take powerball
anaerobe

Post by anaerobe »

Doggone, I was traveling and didn't get a chance to post my answer. In my defense, the little woman and I are spending the week on Atlantic time, and this view is so darn distracting.
IMG_4541.jpg
I suppose my error increases the odds ever so slightly for the rest, but I will soldier on. After all, when we make little sacrifices, we like to have them appreciated.

Good luck.
Last edited by anaerobe on Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.