"Looking for that Spark" - February 12, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

The beach seems crowded.
I am a man of few...
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

Count me on shore!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Found something, immediately knew the answer, but couldn't figure out the actual solve method. Knowing what it was actually made it more difficult! But the light finally dawned and I am ashore, leaving me free to watch the birdiess for the Great Backyard Bird Count.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

(1) - Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker, male, adult

(photo taken through a screen)

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

OK, if weโ€™re doing unusual birds, Iโ€™ll play.

The rare Northern green billed tippet
0FA51732-A0DA-4C07-8427-A099FEDBBE43.jpeg
If youโ€™re the cook, you need one of these on your table. If youโ€™re the diner, this would be a good gift for your honey today.
Happy Valentineโ€™s Day, friends โค๏ธ
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

And this is what happens when you don't screw the cap on correctly after refilling the feeder. Those squirrels!
20210201_140353.jpg
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Cindy N wrote: โ†‘Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:41 am Found something, immediately knew the answer, but couldn't figure out the actual solve method. Knowing what it was actually made it more difficult! But the light finally dawned and I am ashore, leaving me free to watch the birdiess for the Great Backyard Bird Count.
Anything unusual. We have had bluebirds hanging around all winter all up and down the New England coast

And northern and central Maine has had an influx of Evening Grossbeaks.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

rexthree wrote: โ†‘Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:17 pm Count me on shore!
How is the shoulder coming along?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

My goldfinches
Attachments
9628B716-DF69-4C60-8990-2AFB4E261F09.jpeg
Heidi
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

A brother-in-law is a genius & a mechanical wizard. His mother's rather large circular bird feeder was overrun by red squirrels and she asked him to rig something up, so the birds wouldn't starve.

His first solution worked rather well. He hooked up ends of capacitor-limited electrical leads to the feeder's perch ring and to its metal mesh and tray holding the feed. To the perch ring he added a weight sensitive switch which wasn't tripped by birds, but was by the squirrels. Squirrels received a non-fatal jolt which (usually) sent the squirrels jumping.

After a few days, a couple squirrels kept at it & mom watched as one was paralyzed & stuck. Fortunately, the rig had an indoor switch, which mom refused to turn on again, and the squirrel survived. However, that switch didn't turn off her complaints about the fat, overfed squirrels.

He next added a ceiling fan motor above the feeder, but below a larger conical roof, using the same switched perch ring. That provided "thrilling" rides for the squirrels, if they attempted to hang on. Most tried, but had to relent, eventually, dizzy & frustrated.

This was 20+ years ago. I know VHS recordings were made, but doubt any were posted online. Not by him, anyway. These are interwebbed videos of smaller, commercial spinning feeders. His was 200+% bigger & homemade.

๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:02 am A brother-in-law is a genius & a mechanical wizard. His mother's rather large circular bird feeder was overrun by red squirrels and she asked him to rig something up, so the birds wouldn't starve.

His first solution worked rather well. He hooked up ends of capacitor-limited electrical leads to the feeder's perch ring and to its metal mesh and tray holding the feed. To the perch ring he added a weight sensitive switch which wasn't tripped by birds, but was by the squirrels. Squirrels received a non-fatal jolt which (usually) sent the squirrels jumping.

After a few days, a couple squirrels kept at it & mom watched as one was paralyzed & stuck. Fortunately, the rig had an indoor switch, which mom refused to turn on again, and the squirrel survived. However, that switch didn't turn off her complaints about the fat, overfed squirrels.

He next added a ceiling fan motor above the feeder, but below a larger conical roof, using the same switched perch ring. That provided "thrilling" rides for the squirrels, if they attempted to hang on. Most tried, but had to relent, eventually, dizzy & frustrated.

This was 20+ years ago. I know VHS recordings were made, but doubt any were posted online. Not by him, anyway. These are interwebbed videos of smaller, commercial spinning feeders. His was 200+% bigger & homemade.
There are several videos on line for nonlethal squirrel prevention systems. Humorous to watch but the squirrels are amazingly creative and determined
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I'm still on the ship, but I guess I couldn't pick a better day to be stuck on the Love Boat...
LaPetiteFlora

Post by LaPetiteFlora »

On shore! Cute one!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:02 am A brother-in-law is a genius & a mechanical wizard....

OMG. That video had my crying with laughter. Especially the last one, where the poor squirrel is spinning as he tries to walk/run/stumble away.

For some reason, I have a (very) slight fondness for squirrels. Would've thought I'd be the opposite, given my mother was known for hating them so much that she'd aim the car at them and step on the gas if they ever ran across the street in front of her.

In college we had black squirrels, as well as grey ones. At one point, we started seeing ones that were either mostly black but with areas of grey, or visa versa. So we figured there was interbreeding going on. Then, at a party, we met someone from the biology department who said they were tagging squirrels. When we asked about the interbreeding, they said, "Oh, actually, when we trap them, if they are grey we put a splotch of black dye on them, and if they are black we use grey, so we can easily tell that we already tagged them." Oh well.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Re squirrel-related devices: the collective experience here must surely know that squirrels donโ€™t like safflower seeds? I was plagued with squirrels and switched from sunflower to safflower ... havenโ€™t seen a single squirrel since. All bird varieties still feeding including red-bellied woodies. Hairy and downy only occasionally now, but cardinals increased frequency. Safflower a bit more expensive but well worth it and probably cheaper in total. Squirrels destroyed the wicker on our patio chair in between feeds!
One world. One planet. One future.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Colin wrote: โ†‘Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:23 am All bird varieties still feeding including red-bellied woodies. Hairy and downy only occasionally now, but cardinals increased frequency. Safflower a bit more expensive but well worth it and probably cheaper in total.
Great tip!

European starlings are the nuisance on my suet. Only the flickers, red-bellies, & hairies can stand up to the gangs, but even they give up after a short while. Starlings chase away the aggressive cardinals & blue jays, not to mention the downies, tufted titmice, chickadees, & other smaller birds.

Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I am on shore! Happy Valentines Day!
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

eagle1279 wrote: โ†‘Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:53 am Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I'm still on the ship, but I guess I couldn't pick a better day to be stuck on the Love Boat...
Well, I took another look and Iโ€™m ashore feeling stupid for having made it so complicated. :oops:
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

In the bar, looking out the window at the shore and seeing trees and rabbits, but not the forest. Anticipating a dope slap tomorrow morning.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Sunday Morning Muggles. Happy Valentine's Day to all

And if you missed it before, the WSJ will not be published tomorrow so the official results will not appear until Tuesday but I am sure there will be comments here.

And a welcome to our newest muggle - Kevan

We have 4 on the ship and 207 on the shore. Our shore record set last week is 233.

Since yesterday Sara Dacus and Lyman have joined the ship's contingent and Isaac has some great Valentine's fare for all

Joining the shore crowd since yesterday are

Bird Lives
mel87
norrin2
howardl
Beth C
mpmanning
diplomatt
horsesense
rosiegirl
Joel
Olof