"Looking for that Spark" - February 12, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

Onshore. I think.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Made it to shore. Found the spark and presently roasting a nice Mahi Mahi.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count for the night is 3 on the ship and 221 on the shore.

And we welcome our newest muggle - BreeZynCO

Our final tenders to the shore contained

Scott M
Debbie
Notbitter
phofer
WSJosh
Dennis
Deb
JRS51
Burak
sphorning
BreeZynCO
Tom S
Fred
Fishoutowater

And as always when we are close to the record, I will pick up anyone who comes in late and add them to the mix. We might get to the record of 233 set last week.

have a good week and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

ImOnToo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:53 pm 11 Degrees in the Fort Worth/Dallas area of Texas with 4"+ of snow so far! We don't DO this! :shock:
Single digits expected for tomorrow.

Could you folks up north please come get your lost weather? :lol:
I just got a notice that Red River Paper in Dallas is closed tomorrow - you guys in that area stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:10 pm
ImOnToo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:53 pm 11 Degrees in the Fort Worth/Dallas area of Texas with 4"+ of snow so far! We don't DO this! :shock:
Single digits expected for tomorrow.

Could you folks up north please come get your lost weather? :lol:
I just got a notice that Red River Paper in Dallas is closed tomorrow - you guys in that area stay safe
It is a legit emergency here. We just don’t have resources for this!

However, the way people hoard milk and bread...We have wine!

Today is my birthday. Long story but we and then my son and fiancée had power issues over the last week. My greatest gift today is that we are all warm and sheltered!
Last edited by ImOnToo on Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Konnie
ajk

Post by ajk »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:01 pm Feel kinda slow for not getting this one sooner. Went a a very wrong direction based on the title.

On shore with some kind of fruit juice and vodka.

Literally on shore with reservations at the Hula Grill this evening. Happy Valentine's everyone.
The one above Duke’s? That means you’re just down the beach from my happy place (MaiTai bar at RH).
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

And so, as my husband and I sat down for our Valentine’s evening and went to pick a movie...well...need I say more?
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

ajk wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:21 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:01 pm Feel kinda slow for not getting this one sooner. Went a a very wrong direction based on the title.

Literally on shore with reservations at the Hula Grill this evening. Happy Valentine's everyone.
The one above Duke’s? That means you’re just down the beach from my happy place (MaiTai bar at RH).
That is the one. They have a surf and turf special for Valentine's Day.

Had Lunch at the Mai Tai yesterday. It's in the rotation, along with the other Mai Tai's in the mall, where we went today.
Last edited by Tom Shea on Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rufus T. Firefly
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Not much time left and I am still with Isaac

EDIT: thanks to a hint from a fellow MUGgle, I am on shore. Just didn't realize what was important.
Last edited by FrankH on Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:26 pm
ajk wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:21 pm

That is the one.

Had Lunch at the Mai Tai yesterday. It's in the rotation, along with the other Mai Tai's in the mall, where we went today.
Nice! I’ve never actually eaten there, but have consumed many, many maitias. 🤣
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ajk

Post by ajk »

Have eaten many times at Hula Grill, which is a solid backup to good-luck-getting-a-table Duke’s.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:25 pm And so, as my husband and I sat down for our Valentine’s evening and went to pick a movie...well...need I say more?
No need to say more. Except, perhaps, about the history of you and your husband's relationship/rom-com BEFORE you got married. ;)

My fiancée and I watched this last year at a slightly different time of year, for reasons I can't explain until after the midnight deadline for puzzle answers.
Kas

Post by Kas »

On the beach...and a first time posting from Kas and Kate combo—Kate’s first Ah Ha Moment!!
:D
Grover

Post by Grover »

Ashore. Oops, should have posted earlier to make sure I am part of the record breaking shore crowd.
khanthedane

Post by khanthedane »

On shore with a hot toddy!
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Ashore!!
Inca

Post by Inca »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:57 pm Our final count for the night is 3 on the ship and 221 on the shore.

And we welcome our newest muggle - BreeZynCO

Our final tenders to the shore contained

Scott M
Debbie
Notbitter
phofer
WSJosh
Dennis
Deb
JRS51
Burak
sphorning
BreeZynCO
Tom S
Fred
Fishoutowater

And as always when we are close to the record, I will pick up anyone who comes in late and add them to the mix. We might get to the record of 233 set last week.

have a good week and stay safe
If you are still collecting, you can add me to the solvers. My latest solve ever: 11:41 pm on Sunday!

I saw that it was movie-related and didn't see it right away so decided not to give it a second glance. Then at about 10 pm on Sunday decided to look through the posts and saw that almost everyone felt it was so simple. Well, miracle of miracles, something popped out at me...and, believe it or not, I have actually heard of this movie (although I did double check with Mr. G to make sure I had the title correct), so the answer was obvious and confirmed with the confirmation in the the puzzle.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20210212 WSJCC Looking for that Spark.png
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

*Where* Harry met Sally, in the grid, satisfies 39A. I didn't view 39A as an Indicator Entry - since finding this occurrence of "FIRE" in the grid was nearly impossible - but as a verification of the meta answer.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Martin

Post by Martin »

Anybody else bothered by RABBIT RUN / CHARACTER? Harry "Rabbit" Angstrom is a fifth Harry without a Sally. I solved the meta in 2 minutes and looked for Sally 5 for many hours.