"Looking for that Spark" - February 12, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SarasotaSun

Post by SarasotaSun »

What? No announcement yet of the winner of LAST Friday's contest puzzle?
The next contest puzzle should be presented tomorrow.
Who isn't looking at his/her emails hoping to receive the winner's announcement?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

SarasotaSun wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:10 pm What? No announcement yet of the winner of LAST Friday's contest puzzle?
The next contest puzzle should be presented tomorrow.
Who isn't looking at his/her emails hoping to receive the winner's announcement?
I suspect that the combination of President's Day and the storm were factors in the process. Imagine if the winner was from Texas and he/she had no power and a very cold house.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Interesting side note:

The "Rabbit, Run!" lead character that led people down a rabbit hole is Harry Angstrom.

Billy Crystal's character in "When Harry Met Sally..." is Harry BURNS! Another unintentional connection to the meta.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Well, let’s get this Harry meeting Sally thing going again while we’re waiting.
In reel life, this is one of the best pictures I’ve seen. This big guy fits the Hairy bill. That day he probably was sallying forth, looking for a good rom-com(panion). Never did see the ending. But so glad I looked up just as he was passing.
24D3EF96-0861-4627-BD6F-044BBBF75A24.jpeg
Early 80’s photo, as we were building our gardens.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Greetings -- a belated report after a holiday weekend. This was (befitting its subject) another blockbuster: 2976 entries, a whopping 94% correct.
Incorrect entries included FRIENDS (10), MOONSTRUCK (3), and a scattering of other one-offs. Stay tuned for two more contests aimed at broadening our audience. And congrats to this week's winner: Carla Spacone of Providence, R.I.!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:24 pm Greetings -- a belated report after a holiday weekend. This was (befitting its subject) another blockbuster: 2976 entries, a whopping 94% correct.
Incorrect entries included FRIENDS (10), MOONSTRUCK (3), and a scattering of other one-offs. Stay tuned for two more contests aimed at broadening our audience. And congrats to this week's winner: Carla Spacone of Providence, R.I.!
Friends??? Did they make a movie out of the TV show, and make it a ROM-com to boot? (Thought they'd played out the romance parts of it on tv.) And do TV shows really count? Still... Friends? Oh well. Here's to harder metas in March! (Though I liked the Harry/Sally "meeting" part of this one.)
Inca

Post by Inca »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:24 pm Greetings -- a belated report after a holiday weekend. This was (befitting its subject) another blockbuster: 2976 entries, a whopping 94% correct.
I wouldn't call myself a novice, but I do enjoy the well-constructed metas on the "easier" end of the scale. I find them more enjoyable...not feeling that stress.