"Poetic Justice" - February 5, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

All ready for Superb Owl Sunday. A quick Google search for recipes this morning brought up these cheese biscuits.
20210207_130140.jpg
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Ashore
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

LadyBird wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:40 pm All ready for Superb Owl Sunday. A quick Google search for recipes this morning brought up these cheese biscuits.

20210207_130140.jpg
Looks yummy. Hubby making PF Chang style chicken stuffed lettuce wraps! (Hey, I cleaned the house!) I’m in such a good food mood I am willing to admit I just got the Superb owl reference. 🤦‍♀️
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Trying to find a spot on the crowded beach! :)
Inca

Post by Inca »

For the statistics, I've solved this meta
(WAsn't sure if I posted or not)
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I guess everyone is watching the Superb Owl. I guess I don’t give a hoot. ( Except for that great episode of “What We Do In the Shadows).
Heidi
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:39 pm I guess everyone is watching the Superb Owl. I guess I don’t give a hoot. ( Except for that great episode of “What We Do In the Shadows).
Not watching it now. Have never watched it.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

made it to shore with what looks to be a record crowd.
first time i had to do a puzzle one handed since i just had shoulder surgery - felt like one of LadyBird's feathered friends pecking at my laptop keyboard!
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

With the crowd in the beach. Pleasant diversion during unpleasant game. But did like the weekend.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final record count is 233 on the shore
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

I'm locking the bar up and paddleboarding to shore.

I left the key under the mat.
Rufus T. Firefly
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, the Super Bowl was as one sided as the (supposed) META answer, but gosh I liked the puzzle more. I mean I am glad that a Florida team won, and glad that an old player won (here I stifle a snicker as I hear the commentators wax poetic about this 43 YO dinosaur - I literally have shoes older than that) but I was probably looking for a basketball-like score where the last team with the ball marches down the field with 1 second to spare and kicks the field goal to make it 73-70. Well, maybe next year. Gotta hand it to Brady, but my goodness Patrick Mahomes is a talented young man and I'll bet a force to reckon with in years to come.

If nothing else I had an excuse to eat food I should not and drink more wine than was necessary - so a win after all.

See everyone at the bar (and hopefully on Tuesday evening)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

There was talk about PAGEANT. Is it possible, even when we have been told this is a simple puzzle to solve? Here are the similarities between the two:
1. Both are Mike Shenk puzzles.
2. Both occurred before an important football weekend.
3. Somewhat vague or open-ended instruction to the meta answer (nothing specific like asking for a 6-letter word).

It is this last point that makes a PAGEANT possible because all you need to do is to happen upon a plausible answer that is even simpler than the expected one. And at least one MUGgle has mentioned that it may exist.

But why PAGEANT is infamous is that it hoodwinked a vast majority of the entrants. While there may be a number of submissions to some other possible answer this time, I seriously doubt that so many people can be fooled again.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

After coming up with the answer, I tried to create more poetry à la Mike Shenk, but the best I could do was a Style Kludge.

Yes, I know it doesn't rhyme.
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Phew!!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Curious as to what else people thought it could be, except maybe to miss the 'TRIAL' bit?
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
BethA

Post by BethA »

When the landlord picks a bad color for the bathroom squares — I hold a tile grudge!
LaurenB

Post by LaurenB »

Yay! It’s my first correct answer!
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Other potential theme clues:

1. "Give that stack a little push"
2. "A bit of a slog"
3. "Polo vs. Klein"

1. PILE NUDGE
2. MILE TRUDGE
3. STYLE GRUDGE