"Endnotes" - January 22, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

Safely on shore...
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Toes in the sand,
Cold Drink in hand,
They're playing my favorite band.

On shore again, later all.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Ashore and would love to have the Founders KBS Maple Mackinac Fudge, since I live in Michigan, but I'm in Texas for the winter and can't find it here...
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Well now I'm 100% (my original answer was right, but now I know why). I'm sorry I ever doubted Mike Shenk.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

I am like several that have posted previously - have an answer, but am not sure if it is "the" answer. I have a feeling I may be one of the previously mentioned individuals who skipped a step, but found the answer. Not going to submit it yet and may be asking a fellow Muggle if my answer is correct before I do.
steveb

Post by steveb »

After a lot of red herrings and rabbit holes, I am onshore. Good puzzle!
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

I had all the important stuff in about 30 minutes, even though I know little about this area. The answer, however, was elusive.
Went out to the gym for a workout. After 5 miles and 18,000 lbs, I came back and bingo saw it immediately.
Oxygen + transport to brain = meta answer
If it always worked this way, I would to go the gym more often! Well maybe, if I weren't so damn lazy.
Clever and original mechanism that doesn't show any margin of error or pageant potential. Absolutely a 100%-er.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore finally.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:28 pm I believe that some people who found the path to shore rough and inelegant may have taken a shortcut. Landed in the right place, but missed some of the sights along the way.
Franklin.Bluth wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:35 pm That was me...got the right answer but was a little confused (really, annoyed) at the brute force of it. And then you showed me why the swim was so rough. Thanks!
Tripod wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:53 pm I am ashore.

However, out of sheer paranoia, I can't help but have a pageant-y feeling. Partly because I have no music knowledge, but mostly because I generally need a lot more fluids in me, and rabbit-hole time, to finally see the method emerge. We shall see.

YO! HERE!

However, this wormhole (shortcut in space-time) seemed so glaringly obvious, that I wonder how anyone wouldn't take it. Some BRUTE FORCE CYBERNETICS ('creating a need, then filling it'*) must be called upon, from time-to-time.

EDIT 1: "Brute force," "cheatery,"and "shortcut" labels are taken as poetic license. This week's solution may set a number of characters record & require a 2nd page be added to Monday's PDF, because I don't see it fitting in the bottom-right corner. I've had a few kind muggles attempt to explain the "elegant" method. So far, only one person has shown me the full path to 2 of the 6 letters of the meta answer. Other explanations only involve one or two letters (& those aren't fully-explained), then trail off with "etc.," "and so on," "you get the idea (I don't, but that my failing)," or "I'll type out the rest when I have the time. There's not a thing wrong with the long-winded intended mechanism. The "shortcut" is a much more obvious path & is laid out clearly for solvers to see & deduce. The obvious method involves a less-than-desired mechanism (including to me) as part of its solution, but that mechanism has been used in the past and will be, again. Is a solution "more elegant" if it requires a college-ruled notebook to fully explain it (poetic license, please)? Maybe, but the creator left a simpler path to follow, so the inelegance is his, not the solvers' For solvers that have followed the simpler path, you've done nothing for which you need to apologize. [ The first 2 likes were pre-EDIT 1. ;-) ]

Miss the Party Parrot Image

*Any '70s-era WEBN fans out there?
Last edited by Joe Ross on Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

On shore. Tougher grid, but knew what to look for early on and that helped smooth out the swim. Turns out crosswords go well with Destihl Haze of the Dead while watching Bridgerton.
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

I'm back home after two weeks at scuba instructor school.

This puzzle initially challenged my underwater navigation skills, but I made it ashore using only about a half tank of air.
No morning cocktail for me today--I'm going spear fishing today, so the alcohol must wait until later.

I almost regret solving it because I had Inspector Reneault's "Serves me right for not being musical" excuse all ready to go:
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I'm ashore. I liked it a lot.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Ashore, but I think I also took the shortcut - I'll have to look at it again later.
I wouldn't want to miss the sights along the way!
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Finished the grid and then took a long trip down a rabbit hole, will continue to work on the meta tonight.
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

Sprinting on the beach. Hope it’s not another swim of shame early Monday morning. Now what’s a girl to do the rest of the morning?
Holding off on the IPA. It’s not ten am anywhere.
Hope all you muggles get the vaccine soon.
JimJim

Post by JimJim »

Ashore. Stepped away from it this morning. Saw the light upon return. Sand is cold.
SeanS

Post by SeanS »

Ashore-- perfect level of difficulty, my paper looks like I solved the mystery of Pepe Silvia.

The aforementioned article (and Shoo-Fly Pie recipe, for those who have already tapped out on their resolutions): https://spectator.us/life/dutch-treat-p ... o-fly-pie/
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Cosmo wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:45 pm I'm on what I believe is the correct shore! I think the mechanism just wasn't quite as elegant as I was hoping for. Still enjoyed the journey though!
Thanks to BarbaraK, I now see that I took the shortcut others have mentioned! Awesome meta when viewed in full!
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Ashore! Fun one!
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

on shore. finished grid last night. slept on it and everything was clear in the morning.