"Endnotes" - January 22, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

JimJim wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:34 pm Ok. If Al is hesitant, I'm in for a long weekend. :shock:
It's what I get for trying to do one sober...
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Ashore with chocolate milk. I need to be on my A-game for tomorrow’s MGWCC.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Toes in sand. Funny, I reached out to another Muggle for a nudge, then while waiting for a response, I got it.

Good one!
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

//edit: Got confirmation from a couple of people...thanks!
Last edited by Franklin.Bluth on Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

RobM wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:26 pm Not on shore yet. I'm seeing what I think I need to see, but I'm not sure how to translate it into a six-letter word. Still working.
Me too; pretty sure I have the first step, just not sure where to go from here. Will look with fresh eyes in the morning and hope that the answer will reveal itself.
Tom Mueller

Post by Tom Mueller »

Franklin.Bluth wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:15 pm I believe I'm ashore, but would feel better with validation. Anyone willing to give me a thumbs up or thumbs down on my answer in a PM?
Bring it in a PM. Happy to help a fellow Muggler!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I believe that some people who found the path to shore rough and inelegant may have taken a shortcut. Landed in the right place, but missed some of the sights along the way.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Have had many "aha"s and have gone down many rabbit holes. Still on the boat! Happy to have a few more days to get on the right track!
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are definitely on the sand............she beat me there - better rower this and most weeks but I joined her with a little nudge or smack of the oar - regardless we are resting in the shade and done for the weekend!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Ashore! This was a relatively quick one for me, and enjoyable. It’s a 100%-er. Enjoying a glass of Pinot Grigio and some popcorn.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I have what seems like the right mechanism and have wound up with six letters. Unfortunately, they do not spell a word in any language I am familiar with, though I will go to Google Translate and try some Finnish dialects. Either that or try to figure out a Step Two.
Jay
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Ashore! (I wasn't 100% certain...will explain more on Monday...but got a thumbs up from a couple of helpful muggles.)

Five in a row...feeling invincible right now. That just means the fall will be so much harder :)
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:01 pm I have what seems like the right mechanism and have wound up with six letters. Unfortunately, they do not spell a word in any language I am familiar with, though I will go to Google Translate and try some Finnish dialects. Either that or try to figure out a Step Two.
I think we may be in the same place. I have not yet figured out what Step Two is.
Abide

Post by Abide »

I finally got past Step 1. And it feels good.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

Got the mechanism, not the meta.. It's early yet... I can see the shore from here...
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:28 pm I believe that some people who found the path to shore rough and inelegant may have taken a shortcut. Landed in the right place, but missed some of the sights along the way.
That was me...got the right answer but was a little confused (really, annoyed) at the brute force of it. And then you showed me why the swim was so rough. Thanks!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

SusieG wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:59 pm Ashore! This was a relatively quick one for me, and enjoyable. It’s a 100%-er. Enjoying a glass of Pinot Grigio and some popcorn.
Hmm... I always wondered what wine to pair with a bowl of fine organic popcorn. Thought the best choice might be an Orvietto red-n-bock-er.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Whoa! Pretty quick for us. Natasha had first step, and then could see no further. I looked and had it in short order. 100%er. Toes in warm sand.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Ashore! Celebrating with a Founders KBS Maple Mackinac Fudge.
Tripod

Post by Tripod »

I am ashore.

However, out of sheer paranoia, I can't help but have a pageant-y feeling. Partly because I have no music knowledge, but mostly because I generally need a lot more fluids in me, and rabbit-hole time, to finally see the method emerge. We shall see.