"Light Switches" - May 17, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Meg

Post by Meg »

KayW wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:49 pm DOH!!!!!

On shore -- this time on the right beach!

I started off towards the right rabbit hole early on, but took a wrong turn to a dead end. And stubbornly kept digging there far too long. It does seem to pay for me to set these things aside and let my brain reset.

Another brilliant meta from Mike.
OMG! I love your avatar!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MaineMarge wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:33 am On shore! I hope Mike and Matt and cohorts are lurkers here so that they can see the delight and admiration their brilliant efforts give us all each week. You go, guys! Also Marie.
Marge
Mike M tells me that both Matt and Mike S read our comments. I suspect that they get the biggest laughs from the wrong answers
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
KayW

Post by KayW »

Meg wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:23 pm

I started off towards the right rabbit hole early on, but took a wrong turn to a dead end. And stubbornly kept digging there far too long. It does seem to pay for me to set these things aside and let my brain reset.

OMG! I love your avatar!
Thanks! :) It's a local watering hole (in Chicago). Oddly enough I never solved any metas there. I've never seen Isaac, either.

I would love to know the story behind your avatar, too.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Meg

Post by Meg »

KayW wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:15 pm
Meg wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:23 pm

OMG! I love your avatar!
Thanks! :) It's a local watering hole (in Chicago). Oddly enough I never solved any metas there. I've never seen Isaac, either.

I would love to know the story behind your avatar, too.
There’s no story, really. I live in St. Pete, FL. We have manatees. They look like huge floating potatoes! I just liked the picture.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Finally crawled up on shore.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Me, too, PeterLee1a. Crawling onto the beach, gasping but triumphant. (Studied some of the old puzzles.) Thanks, Wendy....you've done a great job as substitute cruise director! Cynthia J
Cynthia
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Haven’t seen Wendy post since Friday. Hope we didn’t scare her off.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:05 pm Haven’t seen Wendy post since Friday. Hope we didn’t scare her off.
So sorry! My nephew won the district 3200m race and then the same evening had his prom, so things were a little hectic yesterday!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Sunday evening report. We had quite an influx of Muggles arriving to the beach on Saturday and Sunday: I'm On Too, Thomas W (I agree that the hint was superfluous), Janet, Trey, Patty Mack, NoMajNoMug, Ann, Brian Davidson, Howard, A3Jay, Ed Strong, Commodore, Bee, Matthew B and wife, lusophile, Sew Young, B. Hamren, Grwinski, Sheila Co (post-enlightenment strikes again), Laura M, Barbara K, Nalu Girl, Jacksull, Eric Porter, Jane Kirstine, Scott Medvetz, Kris Zacharias, Abide and Jeff S. Well done, all! And escaping from Isaac's clutches were Peter Lee A1, ALS, our host Brian Mac and Kay W. Cruise Director Bob Stevens reports he is unsure of his answer.
Now ... don't forget to submit your answers by midnight!
Thanks for letting me fill in!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

So I just told my husband that I didn’ Get this week’s puzzle and turned to look at it and WHAM, got it. Love it when that happens. On shore!
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I had a really tough time with this one - I finally got a nudge in the right direction and a solution popped out. In hindsight, it's a 100-percenter, everything lines up, and I'm on the beach just in time for dinner. I'm on the board over at MGWCC completing my 2 year streak. During that time the only WSJ I missed was the infamous pageant puzzle. Next week I'll be travelling and ave another logistical challenge, I hope the hotel has a printer!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

billkatz wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:43 pm I had a really tough time with this one - I finally got a nudge in the right direction and a solution popped out. In hindsight, it's a 100-percenter, everything lines up, and I'm on the beach just in time for dinner. I'm on the board over at MGWCC completing my 2 year streak. During that time the only WSJ I missed was the infamous pageant puzzle. Next week I'll be travelling and ave another logistical challenge, I hope the hotel has a printer!
Bill
I resorted to hand drawing the grid when I was in a similar position. Not elegant but any port in a storm
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

I don't like my answer but I have to jump ship as time is running out. Most likely into the jaws of a shark or a deserted island but at least it will give people some laughs tomorrow morning.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Guy

Post by Guy »

Ashore...somewhere..
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

LAS. Maybe next week...
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Looked on Thursday evening, had a busy weekend, just got back to it, and had nothing till the eleventh hour. But now I have seen the light.

I think I recall a similar mechanism in a puzzle by "Marie" some while ago.
Last edited by Bird Lives on Sun May 19, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:33 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:05 pm Haven’t seen Wendy post since Friday. Hope we didn’t scare her off.
So sorry! My nephew won the district 3200m race and then the same evening had his prom, so things were a little hectic yesterday!
OK, that’s a good excuse:)

Congratulations to your nephew!
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

In honor of this week's meta and over 250 forum members, here's a one clue meta whose answer is a Claudian word.

1. Brainiac (8 letters)

Til our next poser...
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:10 pm
billkatz wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:43 pm I had a really tough time with this one - I finally got a nudge in the right direction and a solution popped out. In hindsight, it's a 100-percenter, everything lines up, and I'm on the beach just in time for dinner. I'm on the board over at MGWCC completing my 2 year streak. During that time the only WSJ I missed was the infamous pageant puzzle. Next week I'll be travelling and ave another logistical challenge, I hope the hotel has a printer!
Bill
I resorted to hand drawing the grid when I was in a similar position. Not elegant but any port in a storm
I've done that once or twice myself. I've also used the .puz file and solved on the screen.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

This little light of mine.

The answer to a clue — the word to be entered into the grid — is called a “light.” (I mean, it’s not called that by me and probably not you or anyone else around here. I think it’s mostly British crossword puzzle composers, er I mean setters, who call it that, but anyway . . .)

The definitions and the lights in the starred clues have all letters in common except for one pair. iNtended/ deStined, etc. Take out the unmatched letter from the clue, switch in the letter from the light.

N – S
V – H
R – I
S – N
O – E

Since these go in order top to bottom, the hint at 70A is not really necessary.
Jay