"Light Switches" - May 17, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Lost. At. Sea. :cry:
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Thanks Wendy for handling cruise director duties this weekend. Please count me in the shore party.

This one actually took me longest of this weekend's metas as I was overly attached to a wrong rabbit hole. It even gave me a five letter word, but without the elegance I knew had to be there.
Meg

Post by Meg »

BrianMac wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:01 pm Lost. At. Sea. :cry:
Brian, have you written things down? Made a list? Sometimes things show up when you do that.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

Finally on shore after making this much harder than I needed to.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

I was ready to post a lost at sea message when I decided to take one more look. And there it was!

On the beach.
Jack Sullivan
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I jumped off the boat quickly, but swimming all the way to shore took longer than it should have given the clue. I've been waiting a while for another puzzle to use this particular mechanic. I wasn't going to let it defeat me again.
I enjoyed this one. Well done, Mike Shenk!
I predict there will be about 1000 correct entries this week.
janekirstine

Post by janekirstine »

Got it.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

BrianMac wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:01 pm Lost. At. Sea. :cry:
Look at EVERYTHING! (Heidi)
Heidi
ALS

Post by ALS »

I suddenly saw the light. Ashore.

ALS
NoMajNoMug

Post by NoMajNoMug »

I forgot to submit my answer. While I was doing so, my 6 year old was watching a movie and the answer was in the song.

Weird.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Back and on shore after a two week hiatus due to travel and guests. Light bulb switched on this morning. This puzzle is absolutely genius!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
KayW

Post by KayW »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:45 pm Thanks Wendy for handling cruise director duties this weekend. Please count me in the shore party.

This one actually took me longest of this weekend's metas as I was overly attached to a wrong rabbit hole. It even gave me a five letter word, but without the elegance I knew had to be there.
Barbara I think I'm exactly where you were. And the problem is, the longer I spin my wheels on this, the deeper the rut into that wrong rabbit hole is growing. I tried ignoring the puzzle all day yesterday in hopes a fresh look this morning would yield a different perspective. So far nothing. Off to other things before giving it one more shot this evening.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

Solved this while on a Boeing 747 flight. So I guess I got to shore by an airplane.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I think I was in the same place as well, and also got a 5 letter word that didn't click in any way. A good general rule in metas, but especially when you are stuck, is to look at everything.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I have frequently gotten to shore while on the NYC subway.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Finally dragged myself to shore. Swam laps around the ship for two days first. :roll:
Abide

Post by Abide »

Same here!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Hello all
Thanks to Wendy for more than ably filling in for me when I was in midcoast Maine photographing ospreys catching alewife.

I have a solution but it does not have that 100% Mike/Marie feel to it so I will be sitting on it for a couple of hours.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Came back to it later on Sunday after a couple of glasses of wine, and the light in my head suddenly switched on. On shore for the fourth week in a row!
KayW

Post by KayW »

DOH!!!!!

On shore -- this time on the right beach!

I started off towards the right rabbit hole early on, but took a wrong turn to a dead end. And stubbornly kept digging there far too long. It does seem to pay for me to set these things aside and let my brain reset.

Another brilliant meta from Mike.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.